Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
You can still buy them - 15 euros for 200 camel light (similar to Silk Cut)
mind you can only take back "200" from the canaries.
wasn't bothered that you can only take back 200 my concern was while we were there but if they are still selling them that's great.

Thanks guys

Gail
Has anyone had any bother bringing back more than the stated allowance ?
:D Hi, my mum came bk, with 1,400 cigs,(1,000 cigs in case, and 400 in hand luggage), she got stopped by customs, and taken to a side room, She was asked how many cigs she had brought back she lied and said 400, (She actually thought the allowance was 400 - although we all know it's 200), they checked her hand luggage, found the 400, then she said they put on some rubber gloves (at this point she said her face was burning, and she her heart was beating so fast, she felt ill - don't think the rubber gloves helped either :yikes ), anyway she said they opened suitcase, and just felt around the side of the case, and zipped the case back up. The custom officer's left the room, came back in after a few min's and said she could go. Now whether he didn't come accross the cigs that were in the case, or whether they chose to turn a "Blind eye", we don't know. It may be they were more interested in the "Bigger fish". Whatever the reason, mum has vowed never to bring any more than the 200 back. (She doesn't even smoke the cigs, were for me and our brother!)

When we came back, a couple of years ago, (Leeds brad airport ), they were pretty eager the couple in front got pulled to one side, and the couple behind us did.

Whilst in gran canaria, we got talking to one of the DJ's and he told us if you were on a flight which arrived in the very early hours of the morning your chances of getting stopped were virtually zero, whether this is true, or he was talking a load of rubbish I don't know, but he was pretty adament. (Would be interesting to know other members view's on that one, or if anyone else has heard that rumour ). Anyway have a fab holiday, and I do hope if you bring more than your allowance back, you don't get stopped :wink: Regards, BBB.
Cheers for that - rubber gloves....ummm? :wink: Leeds/Brad for us and early hours.
Holiday Truths neither encourages nor condones exceeding the limits set by HM Revenue and Customs :wink:

Pippy :D
So.... how many did you say you wanted bringing back ? :D
I know the limit is 200 for bringing back but I just wanted to buy some whilst I was out there.

Friend had to use a cigarette machine every day I just wanted to buy 200 to last me the two weeks whilst I was there and then buy 200 for my return.

Thanks for your replies

Gail
hi gail,we were in gran canaria last week.i didnt have any probs buying cigs whilst i was there,you can buy them in supermarkets umlike majorca where they only sell them in tabbac shops.have a great time
Thanks Boots

Just what I wanted to hear

Looking forward to my hols now at Christmas.
hi, could anyone tell me the limits on bringing back cigarettes and tobacco from gran canaria and approx. prices in resort please. going to puerto rico on 16th july. thanks
Merged with existing topic.

You are only allowed to take back 200 cigs from Gran Canaria.

luci :wave
got home @ 4am thismorning, landed at stansted @ 2.20am, customs both eu and non eu completely empty

cigs on sale everywhere???

18 - 22e avarage price for 200
Arrived back at Gatwick last night after midnight and the customs were waiting for the Gran Canaria flight like vultures! I was stopped with 6 cartons which were confiscated prompto!!
To make matters worse they enter your name on the Customs and excise
database so that everytime you present your passport entering UK you may be singled out for "Special Treatment".
If your caught with more than your allowance the first time they just confiscate all your cigarettes including the 200 that you are allowed anyway and leave you with nothing!!!
The next time you are caught over the limit you are automatically prosecuted!!
It was not nice and certainly not worth the aggro!!
Be warned by the mug who was caught!!!
Hi there

back from GC a week - cigarettes everywhere - approx 17-17 euro for UK brands - others cheaper. About 10-11 Euro for Smirnoff (Lt) or Bells Whisky etc.
I was stopped coming home from Gran canaria with 1000 in my case sadley I did not know they were filming a documentery about duty free just my luck!! but the customs guy was really nice and only took 200 and let me through(every case was getting searched)I dont think he could be bothered.
Sadley the next time I returned customs officer of the year stopped me and took everything all I can say is he was( no bad language !!)
I have never took more then 200 since (we go twice a year)and I have never been stopped since.
I dont know how the system works my husband has suggested they scan all cases. I think its your luck on the day
What I personally think is we are everyday people just trying to save a pound or two but at the end of the day its the law and I have learned to respect that much to my disadvantage
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.