Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Chris, Yeh it has changed for sure over the years, some for the better, some for the worst. That time of year is definately the most expensive and you may find that if you do wander past the guys meeting the ferries, you may be wandering around for a fair while before you find somewhere.

Rooms - The prices are very similar to England now, with a low budget room (will now probably all have own bathroom with shower, unless its a hostel) costing from 25-30 Euros per night (per room, not per person) rising to 50-60 E a night.

Ferries - are still pretty good. Check out the timetable at http://www.ferries.gr. There are alot more hydrofoil type ferries these days, which halve the travel time, but are more than twice the price. With some careful planning, especially in the Cyclades, you can get normal ferries for ten or so euro between islands. These are very smart these days and not half as crowded as they used to be.

Eating out and drinking - Food is still well priced for what you get, drinks bump the price right up. A beer will cost you around 3 euro in a cheapish place. Again, if you go wandering round the backstreets, you will find local places serving good food and drink. Two of you could eat and drink quite well for 15-20 Euros (obviously depending on what you order!)

The freedom of island hopping is so appealing, and the changes in resorts and towns is fantastic. I have hopped several times now (Santorini, Ios, Naxos last year) and its a fantastic, fun and lovely, travel friendly experience that I couldn't recommend highly enough. Enjoy.
You might want to check out sites like
http://www.hostelbookers.com/? and
http://www.hostels.com/findabed.php?ChosenCity=Santorini&ChosenCountry=Greece&Search=1
where you can find cheap places to stay that aren't necessarily hostels, and there are a number with private bathrooms

Some good advice from joeyc.
Many thanks for your replies joeyc and Phoebe. Joey, when you say 25-30 Euros per night rising to 50-60 E a night do you mean 25-30 low season rising to 50-60 high season or do you mean a place that's a bit rustic and frayed around the edges would be 25-30 and a cleaner swankier place (but nevertheless just a room) would be 50-60? I'm just trying to work out what our budget should be for accommodation.

Cheers,

Chris
Hi, I meant really that, depending on which island you went to also. For example, Santorini is more expensive than Ios. You'll pay 25-30 Euros a night in Ios that you would pay 50-60 for in Santorini.

But, you are right if you take an older, less modern room, I woulldn't expect to pay more than 30Euros for it. I'm doing Santorini & Paros this year with maybe another island thrown in. Its such good fun. Only 8 weeks to go!!!
Just to let you know, the Blue Star ferry from Santorini to Naxos (approx 2 hrs) cost €15.50 per person, per journey, last year.

Santorini, will be more expensive than most, but I'm sure you will be able to negotiate a good deal. Naxos accommodation can be quiet reasonable, as would Paros I'd say.

If it's of any help, I find http://www.booking.com good for hotels, and you only pay on departure from hotel. http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk have some good deals at the moment too.

Enjoy your hols :sun2
Hi,
I always go in June when prices for accommodation are more reasonable, virtually all islands are around the 25-30 Euros mark for a room with ensuite sh/wc, that includes Santorini, but not Mykonos where prices are +50-100% more (for Mid-July to August double all those prices). Rooms are easy to get on arrival in June/early July. Certain ferry routes are still subsidised to less touristed islands.
No point in harping back to the 80s prices/drachma.

I know you are stuck with Mid-July August, but it is the worst time to do Island hopping, Accommodation double in price, Crowded ferries, Darned hot, Rough sea, Difficult to get decent accommodation on arrival (guessing, all I know is it's easy in June/early July/Sept). The only advantage is the summer ferry routes are in full swing.

Ferries - Now there are Hi-speed catamarans (no Hydrofoils in the Cyclades usually) that are 2x speed & price and you can get stuck with using these on some routes as there may not be a slow cheaper ferry. For typical prices the Bluestar ferry site has a list, just estimate from that, similar distance will be similar price.

I have been Greek Island Hopping on/off for over 20 years and have stayed on around 50-60 islands, most more than once, never in Hi-season though ....
We are going Island hopping end of June beginning of July and found the info very usefull.
But have a question, has anybody bought there ferry tickets on line one agency http://www.ferries.gr says you can pick up tickets at the port if you buy online with them. No idea if this is a good idea?
The problem with one ferry agent be it on-line or in the islands is they may not be agents for all ferries lines.

I always buy tickets on the islands, however often you have to look in more than one agency to get a full picture of ferries leaving. On some islands there is a comprehensive ferry agent but not always, so beware, do look at the boards outside.

There are definately some missing on http://www.ferries.gr

Just one example:

The 'Express Skopelitis' can't be booked on there and this is the main ferry operating Naxos to Amorgos and the smaller cyclades islands. OK you can book an NEL or Bluestar ferry, but they are infrequent and miss some islands entirely.

On Naxos harbour/seafront you can buy a ticket on the 'Express Skopelitis' ferry no problem.

If you want to book it is probably best to go to the website of the respective ferry company, it is essentially the same booking system anyway.

End June begin of July you won't need to do bookings, just buy them on the islands. From mid-July to August bookings should be made if possible for obvious reasons.
Hi Everyone

Thomas Cook do a book called 'Greek Island Hopping 2009' which I believe has all the timetables for the ferries listed. It's available from Amazon,
Hope this is helpful.

Yiamass, Jean :tup
The Greek Island Hopping book only has example timetables, largely based on what was run last year. They are however invaluable for seeing what islands can easily be reached from other islands - i.e. how many boats a week there are between them. It is a very useful book.

We normally expect to pay around E20-E35 a night for a room in June, but for this price expect air conditioning, telly and cooking facilities. This is dependent on which island, as some islands are more expensive than others.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.