Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
:offtop Apologies for the inadvertent reference to 'urine extraction' in the above post but since when was 'r i p - o f f' or 's c a m' a swear word? :whoops
We have just returned from 2 weeks in the Peloponnese & Poros island. There was a distinct lack of tourists so I dont think you will have a problem finding accommodation. Our 180 seat plane only had 80 seats filled to/from Kalamata. If you avoid Athens, Greece must be among the safest countries in the world. We find it very easy to book in advance on the internet but remember ferry connections are often cancelled at this time of year due to rough seas especially around the Cyclades.
Hi,

Fear1
You will alwaysfind somewhere so you dont need to worry too much, as Ill assume you will be doing some bigger islands as oppose to Anafi, Folegandros etc etc (and Im still sure you would comfortably find rooms here too)

Fear2
In peak season there is a greater chance that you may have to pay a little more. That would be in normal seasons. This season is different, Credit crunch, swine flu and a gaping hole left by the demise of Kosmar has kept the prices very reasonable. The only problem that I have ever had is location. A 20 minute walk to the centre etc etc can be an hour.

Fear3
You wouldnt get ripped off by the Greeks. They would love the fact that you are a family, and you will find them over trusting rather than the other way round. There can be exceptions in any country anywhere of course but these are my experiences.

Fear4
Although you can't guarantee the safety of anyone, the room keys and lock will be very secure. Dont sleep with your balcony door open, keep your valuables in a safe and dont do anything you wouldnt do at home. Tell your daughters to be careful with the local lads and you wont go far wrong.

You will have a very memorable trip, and its alot easier than you think. You dont have to worry anymore than you do at home, and you will make alot of memories as a family together that you will be talking about for years.

The ferries are very modern, and the accommodations are very nice. Greece has changed alot over the last ten years and you will be surprised at the quality of accommodation on offer. I have hopped for the last couple of years with my little boy (who is three tomorrow!) and he just loves it! :cheers
Hi joeyc,

Great post... very reassuring, many thanks. It's funny, despite my daughters being adults, it seems that parental concerns don't diminish with time. My concerns for their wellbeing and safety are probably no less that you have for your 3-year-old! The parameters just change. I realise there are no guarantees in life, just probabilities, but your post has helped me put this into perspective and I will put your response to my family. I'd forgotten how strong Greek family values are. I imagine, based upon previous bad experiences that we're way more at risk from foreign tourists or immigrants than from the locals, but if we avoid the tourist hotspots (which would be preferable anyway) then this will no doubt decrease the probability of being subject to any dodginess. We're all up for a bit of adventure - my elder daughter has travelled around the world alone and my younger daughter will probably be doing the same soon - plus my wife and I have island hopped before but that was a few decades ago!!! Great! Should be fun!

Chris
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.