Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I don't think you can meet Nirvana for food quality and value for money. Mind you we only ate Indian dishes so not sure about other food there. So a lot of folks digging into pizzas.
and with the Pound to the Rupee been pants has only added to the problem

Last Easter I was getting about Rps79 to the £ and this year people are telling us Nationwide are giving just about Rps72 to the £. Does it really make that much difference? After all it's still really cheap!

What worries me more is the restaurants all inflating their prices to compensate for a poor season. That would annoy me more.
First time we went in 1999 it was about Rs 67 for £1, but back then things were cheaper. :think
I don't think I've ever seen it higher than Rs 84 for £1, so I don't see it as a problem at all. :que
I'm off to Chamonix, France in March, now that is really scary - 8 euros for a beer. :yikes I'm a Scotsman by the way - that's a Yorkshireman with his pockets sewn up.
Lisa also mentioned they are affected by the credit crunch at home.
Lisa, we actually avoided the big, swanky restaurants when we went. Some of the best food can be found in the plainest surroundings.
Agree with you there Fiona. I was in the Florida Keys a few years ago and asked some locals where they ate. They directed us away from all the brightly lit swanky places and told us to visit this awful looking place. It was a great night and the best meal I had whilst I was in the states.

Dunno if that would work in Goa though :think
it does Iain :tup Couldn't remember offhand the name of the place and had to do a search. Copied from a previous post of mine
We decided we wanted to try something more "local" when we were there. We spent a lovely evening with the couple who own Shooters, Bev and Barry and asked them for a recommendation. They told us to try Nandinis on Baga Road, next to Eclipse Bar. Bev did ask me how local we were looking for before she made the recommendation. When we arrived there the following night I realised why she had asked that :rofl It was a take away for the locals. It has a few tables. We thought- what the heck, lets give it a go! Glad we did. We had a beautiful chicken tikka and two others dishes( one was chicken handi, can't remember the other one), rice and some fab naan bread, a kingfisher and a coke- all for £4.50. Its worth a go everyone

I'm sure that is only one of many local places. Whilst we were there another couple came in- probably also got a recommendation :D You would just walk past that place normally and not think about going in.
a place i always go to again and again is the vrundervan next to public bar
I've mostly eaten on the beach in an evening (Calungute end of Candolim beach), and found prices a lot cheaper than some of the places off-the-beach mentioned. Never paid for ambience, but looked at some menus and walked on by. I can't say if the food is better/worse quality, but I've rarely been disappointed for a very reasonable price (as far as I'm concerned on my guesthouse budget!).
Try Victorias Corner, past Molly Malones towards Hungry Horse

Anna cooks what she would cook fot her family and what she gets fresh at the market that morning

Try her special chicken- fabulous!!!
Another tip I discovered this year was when ordering indian food, if you are not starving just order the starters and tell the waiter you will order mains later. Sometime that was enough, some of the starters are huge. Its amazing how full beer can make you feel and you can always order another starter later on if needs be.
I agree with Whizzlizzy, as we go abroad at least four times yearly, we have to keep a tight check on our finances, and have found the Rupee rate made a big difference. We go for three weeks and pay our "digs" on arrival, the difference between last March and December past was quite considerable. I would reckon the difference between the two was at least £150. Not much to some people but quite noticable to ourselves. For excellent food try the Taste of India, next to Newtons supermarket in Calangute Great staff, excellent food, We'd rate it better than Kebabs & Curries just along the road, the portions are better and cheaper too Alan
Try Victorias Corner, past Molly Malones towards Hungry Horse

Anna cooks what she would cook fot her family and what she gets fresh at the market that morning

Try her special chicken- fabulous!!!

I have to agree there, its a lovely little place :tup
I was on a bit of a budget and went to the following:

Chopsticks

Nandinis

Infantaria

Saga

Plaintain Leaf

and a few others. As soon as I find my little book I'll let you know where else! But all were cheap to reasonable and food was great (if sometimes too spicy but thats just me!!)
OH MY GOD!

You have not lost the pink book!!!!! :yikes .....have you? what If that book gets in the wrong hands! heaven knows what will happen ;)

Trina -x-
...If in Candolim try VIVA GOA - its doesnt look much from the outside but the food is wonderful and is always occupied by Goans.....as they say eat where the local eat!!!! all the dishes are really tasty and the portions are ample. Afterwards try the freshly squeezed pomegranite juice (the place is also a juice bar) very refreshing...even better with a large vodka attached!!!!!
A lot of new names to me for places to try, where in Candolim is Viva Goa ?
We always make a trip back to our favourite places and throw in a few newbies as well, so it's looking like even more to try this season (can't wait !!!)
Spike.
viva Goa is our local, its getting busy these last couple of years though ... look out for my blue wristband :D
chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.