Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
up at 7am to reserve a sunbed?.. wouldn't it be easier to just sleep there when I crawl back?... :lol:

as for the wine (I presume we are talking about noufaro now ?) is a caraf one of those long necked animals with a cold ?
Anyone going here this year?
Booked for whitsun all inclusive. We went 10 years ago before thomsons took over and have decided to give it another go as we loved the spacious apartments last time. Apparantly Thomsons are no longer contracted there and so wondered if anyone had any idea what they were like now? Hoping the AI option is ok. Any info much appreciated :)
tbh the apartments have seen better days but are spacious and hey they are only for sleeping in, they did need more sunbeds but it probably wont be as busy as when thomsons had it, enjoy take advantage of the ai but remember cyprus is a lovely place and try to do some exploring, if you decide to eat out in pernera try either il culturo de gusto or il cavallerie unless you have plenty of euros left then go for blue spice
Hi , who have you booked this through or have you done it all separately ?

We go (went?) there for the last 4 years and always loved it . Only reason we going to a different hotel this year is because Thomsons no longer do it ?

Alot of people moan about the decor / state of the hotel but to be honest we always loved it . The pool / the location / the pool bar , all great !

Cheers
Booked through global late deals, got a great deal £2350 for 5 adults 2 rooms including transfers all inclusive going on the 23rd may. According to some hotel websites the hotel has been refurbished???? just want this confirming really and also wanting someone to let me know if they've been this year what the AI option is like. Contract came to an end with Thomsons apparantly.
We went 10 years ago and it was lovely then but have since read reports about it needing reburbishing. Just need reassuring I guess :)
Does anyone know whats going on with this particular hotel ?

We went last year (and the year before) as we like its location slap bang in the middle of all the streets and just close enough to all the main roads out etc. We also liked the Thompson Kids Club as it meant the children are happy (and if they are happy, we are happy). However during our last week we were told that Thompsons were downsizing their operation in Cyprus and would be pulling out of that hotel. This meant no more Thompson the dog, boogie baz and Paul Taylor the magician (who told us he would be in Limassol this year) but the hotel would still be open for direct bookings but without all the extras Thompsons provided !

So the other night we've got the holiday brochures out (this years, just grabbed from the travel agents) and as we browsed through the Thompsons one we wondered if the Elamaris would be there ! It Wasn't, so it seemed pretty obvious that everything we had been told was correct.
Later I came on line and started to hit the websites and one of them was Thompsons, search for holidays around august this year, from this airport etc and the first hit !!! The Elamaris with the kids club entertainment all there ! Wondered if it was a mistake but it allowed me through to asking for credit card details (which I stopped at as I'm not ready to book yet). The only thing different from last year appears to be its offered as a "Hotel and Flight Deal" rather than "Holiday Package".

Can anyone elaborate on this ?

Thanks
Steve
Has anyone been yet this year?

We are now seriously considering booking it again and going AI (edging our bets with the poor exchange rate, means we will always have food and drink !)

I've emailed them directly but haven't got a response as of yet....

It would be nice to hear what people have been and seen since it lost Thomsons backing !

Steve
Going on Friday for a week AI so will let you know when we get back. :)
Feel like a Guinea Pig as noone sems to know anything about the changes yet re entertainment All Inclusive etc. Did notice on one website that the beer stops flowing at 11pm :cry Hope not. Also hoping that they do the full Enlish for brekkie and not just continental.....so many questions and noone to answer them.
katelina, thanks for this !

The hotel is ok, as I've been before, nothing flashy just all the basics and a few bars and such...

My thoughts are -
at 22:50 can I go to the bar and stock up? If not I presume I can still pay for drinks till 2am like I did several times last year ! :whoops
Food has to be good, unless they are flying in frozen food from another country, just how busy, how much, how much variation etc (I do know they have about 4 theme nights each week, Cypriot, Italian, BBQ type things..)
There is also snack food available for most of the time inbetween meal times...
I'm still curious as to how they will know who is and who isn't All Inc?... hope its not white tan line causing plastic straps !

Have a great time and let me/us know how things went on !

Steve :tup
Oh forgot to mention... The entertainment !

During the day they have 2 entertainers (now provided by the hotel) who also take the children for an hour. The rest of the time (if age/size/ability permits) they can join in with the entertainment around the pool

As for night time entertainment there is something going on 4 nights during each week ( I don't know which, I don't know what...)

all inclusive snacks, these are available from 10.30 to 12.00 and from 15.00 to 17.00 hrs. Drinks local finish at 11.00 at night.

I got an email back from the Hotel giving me the above details...

(amazing, considering how poorly constructed my email was as regards to correct use of the Queens English - So I'm suprised they could follow what I meant and give answers to it !)

Steve
Well I'm back from the Elamaris and unfortunately haven't a lot of good things to say about it :(
There are some new reviews on different sites inclusing tjis one that I have to go along with.
I will try to do one myself but am not briliant at that type of thing.
The All Inclusive option is not good. They don't seem to have a clue about it the excuse Im giving is its their first year but if I were you I wouldn't go for it. The food was terrible. We were only there for 1 week luckily and out of 6 possible evening meals went out for 2 just so that we had a decent meal especially as we had taken our sons girlfrien that 1 particular day hadn't had a bite to eat as there was nothing suitable on. Fussy I know but a little bit of simple food would have sufficed for her.
The accomodation was like a step back in time to 12 years ago when we went last. Nothing had changed. I t really shouldn't be classed as 4 star still. We killed a massive cockroach in the corridoor one day and 2 days later it was still there even though my son had been to rception to complain.
Some of the staff were lovely and apologised profusely for the food. When the Polish assistant chef did the evening meal 1 night everyone was praising him but the head chef hadn't a clue. Check out Mariella on the bar she's brilliant.
We just put up and tried to grin and bear it but there were the usual obnoxious people who let all and sundry know their feelings every mealtime. We knew the food was diabolicle (sp) but didn't really need the loudmouths ruining every mealtime with their comments.
Unfortunately we won't be going back but if you have any questions about this place feel free to ask and I will be as honest as I can without being biased.
oh dear that sounds a bit grim !

What was actually wrong with the food?.. was it badly cooked ? wasn't it fresh ? or was it things you just didn't like ?

What about the booze ? was it a simple operation (ie just go to the bar) or was it an endless task of filling in details, room numbers and waiting to be served?.. only getting one small drink per person or get what ever you wanted etc?

which rooms where you in?... The first block on the left as you walk in past the carpark or the ones where reception is?

How did they know if you were AI or not, please tell me not the stupid arm band things?

did you stay watching the entertainment ?... dare I ask ?... was it your normal holiday sing song, magic acts or was it really badly called bingo and quizzes?

Steve
There wasn't enough variety of food. I always think you cant go wrong if you have 1 traditional, 1 simple for fussy eaters ie pizza, burger etc, and a vegitarean dish for veggies. Unfortunately is was a medley of cocncoctions with no label. One night it was 4 pork dishes. There was one family there who were veggies and had to ask for something every night, they were REALLY cheesed off.
The sweet bar consisted of melon and 2 types of cake.
At breakfast this had just grapefruit on or sometimes apples and bananas. Along with bacon and eggs of course but we had to wait for refills a few times. The day we left they did manage to employ 6 new staff members to the hotel.
The food ended up cold with it being a outside restaurant.
I dont think there were any compliments to the food apart from the day the assistant chef did the evening food, he put on beef, chicken and pork and a eggie option and we bought him a drink at the bar. He himself had complained to the manager but he could do no more.
The drinks were fine, all local included Carlsberg so Hubby was happy and all cocktails were free too so I was happy.
Yes unfortunately its the dreaded armbands but I didnt wear mine and hubby just ordered all of our drinks with no problems. Bar is open till 11pm.
We were above receptiom rooms 469 and 471 facing the pool, I do have photos but dont know how to post them on here.
The entertainment team consisted of Ashley and a blonde called Ginelle (I think) who did everything ie kids club, water polo, evening entertainment etc. Very Poor.8.30 kids disco, 9.30 bingo and usually a live act at 10pm. Unfortunately by this time we were so bored as our kids are 15 and 17 we ended up having a couple of drinks then going round the corner to Windmills.
I dont know why Thompsons pulled out but i do have a feeling it might have something to do with the conditions there.
On a positive note the person that was letting everyone know very loudly his feelings went n to say that apparantly the Crown Resort in Aya Napai was even worse, felt like telling him to b****r off there then ;)
Thanks for that....

wondering if its really worth risking now ?... might things have settled down?.. can I live with a few choices?.. ..drink sounds ok but only one juice at breakfast time sounds a bit hard if you don't like it !...

Did you manage to have a good holiday despite those things though ?

Steve
Sorry Steve......didnt mean fruitjuice...you can have as much of that as you like, there were 4 choices for that. I meant the fresh fruit bar. I love my fruit and am used to 4* hotels with a wide variety of fruit for breakfast so it was no good for me.
Things can only get better hopefully regarding the food.
Apparantly one guest (the obnoxious one) asked the manager if he'd ever been to a AI hotel before to which he replied 'No' so the guest questioned him as to how does he expect to run one without any knowledge at all.
We got on with it as at the end of the day you pay good money not just for the hotel but for the area, weather etc.
Unfortunately having 3 teenagers (17,17,15 )that now have their own minds and dont want to go on trips etc makes it very hard ;)
I personally wont go back to that hotel again but would possibly try the area again in a few years when we're on our own :D but not All Inclusive.
It was better than being at home as far as enjoying it.
I have booked a week holiday there in June 2008,.

As anyone visited this hotel this year if so how was your stay. please help as i have a two year old joining me recently been reading some reviews and it does not sound great!

kerry ann xx
I think it depends on what you are expecting from it !

If you think its going to be top spec 4 star luxury, with all inclusive menus like visiting the best top chefs restaurants with a butler and your own maids and waiters for £500 a head, then I think your in for a shock !
If you consider it can easily cost you around £500 to go self catering in Cyprus (then another £500-1000 in food and drinks etc) then you won't expect massive amounts of choice on the menus and a brand new hotel !

I've been there in 2006 and 2007 (prior to the last changes) and I found the hotel to be enough for what I needed. I used it as a place to sleep, somewhere to have a few drinks before going to sleep after having a night out around the town. Sometimes we watched the "shows" and sometimes we didn't but these aren't the same now as they were provided by thomsons when we went.

Steve
not expecting luxuy as it was a good deal. just wanted to know if it is clean in rooms and around the pool area also if there was enterment in evening does not have to be five star but somethin going on in evening. when you last visited did you taste the food and was it ok. and last thing is there a kids playground still by an chance

thanks
If you read back up this topic the only person who has been this year is "Katelina" who has said the food wasn't good, but reading between the lines it seems more a "choice of" rather than "how well made" (maybe Katelina could clarify that for us?)

Food -When I went in 2007 and 2006 We never ate there once ! not even a breakfast as we went Self Catering (as we have grown to like) and went rushing out looking to explore a different place for each meal ! We did keep thinking we should try the hotel itself (can you imagine been there 2 years and it could have been the best place to eat and we still don't know ! lol ) However as we passed the restaurant area everyone looked to be eating happily and what was on the plates looked ok !
I'm fortunate that I love food and don't mind trying new things (in fact go out of my way to get new local cuisine and do my best to avoid the "like home" food !) So I've no problem if they served Pork Afelia, Pork Souvlaki and Pork Tavas all at one sitting (I'd be rather happy and putting on weight to be honest !) As I've said though I haven't been this year and haven't actually eaten in there so I can't make that call !

Entertainment - I can however tell you that the entertainment in previous years as been the usual tour operator mini shows, magic acts, dancing type stuff with bits of discos for the kids and quizzes and those run around getting people to bring handbags up and see who gets the most type things - This was organised by Thomsons (who also organised all the Kids Club stuff).
I mailed the hotel and was told they are now doing their own entertainment which is only 4 nights a week (we probably only watched about that many times in 2 weeks for full shows last time) and during the day they have entertainment around the pool (waterpolo type things and probably quizes etc my guess) The same entertainers are also running the kids entertainment for 1 hour each day (to give mum and dad time to relax, nip out and sort things etc)

Booze - Local spirits and beers so I'm guessing you are going to get LEON, KEO and CARSLBERG Lagers if you are all inclusive, Ouzo, Cyprus whisky (don't be fooled though it aint anything like the real McCoy), They also have KEO Brand Vodka and such so you won't miss out (and I think Katelina mentioned the cocktails are free on all Inclusive aswell... they don't seem to have any alcohol in them... ! but.... :tongue you soon realise they do !)

House Keeping
- The hotel is a little old, a little tired and isn't flush with swanky fittings ! It is however kept clean (or at least is was when we were there) Cleaners sweeping paths, washing down around the pool area and walk ways (not sure if the water shortage will be affecting this?) Towels were changed in the bathrooms when needed (more than you/we do at home I'll bet). The staff were always friendly and helpful and we never had to wait for the bar to be tended etc.

Overall it was always clean and tidy, a good place to sit for a drink, pool was surrounded by the outside bar and snack bar, even the restaurant overlooks it so you are able to keep an eye on the children if they are in the pool and you want to lounge at the side (presuming yours are old enough like ours were back in 2006).
I'm still looking at book there this year even though reports make it sound grim (as I know the reports before we went the first time had people saying it was scruffy and falling apart etc which it wasn't ! - Its just not brand new, ok you might find some paint flaked off in a few places but I'll bet most peoples houses are the same !).
I'm hoping Katelina will come and post again about the food to clarify if it was well made but a poor choice or other problems etc, before I put my money where my mouth is and book! - My thoughts are book all inclusive and then still go out for meals and drinks elsewhere when I fancy that for a change (invariably we always end up back in our own hotel bar before the end of the night anyway so why not have free beer and food there as well ?)

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.