Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
anyone...?... someone must have been... ?... :lol:
Hi, AskCy
We went a few years back and had no problems, although it was October. Youngest child 17 , so wouldn't stay there now, but it was fine at the time. If you're going high season it might be a different matter with regard to sunbeds and noise, but the beach is only 5 minutes walk. We found the apartments clean and more than adequate for our stay. We only ate there once and it was ok but nothing special. Didn't rate the snacks by the pool at lunchtime, much better food at the taverna on the beach. Hope this helps.
Just been checking up on the place and it does seem to be gears for children of a younger age (our daughter is 15 and won't be playing)... but its only a place to sleep so it won't bother us too much.. unless they are still doing conga lines at 2am right past our door.... LOL
Hi AskCy,

I posted the most recent review of these apartments so other than what I wrote, feel free to ask me anything else!! We were there the first week of the Summer season this year, 7th-21st May. Having seen the Crown Resorts Horizon in Paphos (Coral Bay), I think I went to the Elamaris with my expectations too high, hence the reason I was disappointed. The reception area is a little deceiving, more upmarket than the apartment blocks. I can only describe the corridors as something from Cell Block H !! The rooms were extremely basic and in my opinion fairly run down - especially the bathroom. We took our nephew (who was just about to turn 13) with us. When I wrote about teens 'running amok' I include him in that. There were a load of kids his age running about and I'm sure other guests could easily have been disturbed by it. I hasten to add they were doing nothing wrong but there were a helluva lot of them! It was also very difficult telling him not to do things :no when other parents did not seem to bother. In terms of food, these apartments do have a restaurant and you can upgrade to half board/full board when you arrive. They also have deals like buy three evening meals, get one free etc. We did not eat in the restaurant at all (that was my time to escape screaming children!) so I can't comment on the standard of it. It was always fairly busy when we were there so it can't have been bad. When all is said and done, the purpose of our holiday to the Elamaris was for our nephew to have a good time. He had a fantastic holiday so for us that made it bearable. Sunbed situation (unless resolved) is horrendous and I can only imagine by now, in peak season, it will be a nightmare. In summary, would I go back to the Elamaris? - no. Would our nephew go back. well, he wants to know if there's any room in your suitcase !! :D It will be what you make of it, don't go expecting anything better than 3 star accommodation and I'm sure you will have a good time.As I said, feel free to ask anything else I may have missed.
we went last year week before whit for 2 weeks, yes the rooms need an update but are ok the bathroom needed the first attention, the sunbed situation is simple 150 or so sunbeds for 140 odd rooms is not enough and there isnt much they can do as they have no more space to put them. the entertainment is loud but if you had a room in the reception block facing towards the sea you didnt really hear it, it did stop at midnight. when we were there they had 2 good entertainers in karl and kim but to be fair hotel entertainment isnt usually any good. we enjoyed our hols and especially my 7 yr old, if you use it as a base it is beautifully situated and in pernera there are some marvellous restaurants and it is close to protaras where you can enjoy a livelier night out but its not in your face. cyoprus is a lovely country. pernera is a lovely village, the perople are great i wouldnt worry too much about the hotel.if you need any more info just ask
Hi

We went to the Elamaris in June and have been there the last three years . We dont have kids , but the place is geared for all ages . Family friendly is the perfect description .

Depends what you are looking for from a holiday . If you want a nice 'quiet' lie in the sun all day , waited on (boring) holiday then this is not the place . If you want to have a laugh , drink and sit in the sun and be close enough to the shops , beach and bars to enjoy yourself then this is a cracking hotel .

We have never found the hotel 'dirty' and if you get a room overlooking the pool we found it all pretty fantastic . Find it quite amusing when people moan about the cleanliness , never been an issue for us in three years and we are pretty picky about this . One word of caution is if you get a studio on the lower floors you may end up looking on to the back of the windmills . Not really the view your after on holiday . Bedding is all clean . It is typical of a Cypriot hotel and we rather like it .

Entertainment is good , all day , and is for all ages , apart from the kids clubs it was the younger teenage crowd that were in their element when we went . Its loud but never to much to stop you sleeping when you are in your room.

We never eat there , but use the bars etc in the area outside . Knights pub being a good un .

Sun beds are an issue , but if you nip down 8 / 9ish you should be fine , nobody ever enforces the 45min rule ! Another issue is the way the pool is commandered for the water games . Real pain in the backside sometime when you are just chilling in the pool .

Enjoy it . We are going back first week in October , 6th time , so cant be that bad.

Cheers
i agree cleanliness is not an issue but the rooms would benefit from sprucing up, but the sunbed issue was worse than suggested but the hotel was nearly full, if you went down after 8am forget it
Thanks everyone...

We have been to Pernera once before and know where the hotel is, didn't go in it (did go in some of the others as you do)

The corridors?.. erm well as long as I can get through them without picking up any major injuries or disease I'm ok..(we went to Corfu and could actually see outside through the roof the corridor, only noticed by the raining pouring in and flooding it, and the lightning as the power have gone off.. but it was still a great hotel and a good holiday)..

Sunbeds.. I'm sure if we want one we'll manage.. but I think we will do less lounging and more wandering as is out want.. might even leave daughter making lots of noise with the others (might not be able to stop her.. LOL )

Might stay in for some of the entertainment, but last time we enjoyed moving around between bars and such, seeing what was going on...

Liked the Noufaro, one of the first places we ate at and ordered a meze at lunch time (which wasn't normally done, most wait for later)..but they obliged and a free bottle of wine later, we were most happy...and very full...

noise gone by midnight.. probably won't be back by then...

should I take a small tool bag and see if I can help out with the updates.. LOL... (wonder if I could get another week off work... LOL )

It sounds like we should have all we need.. I've booked and like 3 star before.. I don't want a dinner suit on for meals I want to relax.. I want A/C thats all I need.. if the water runs and the toilet flushes.. the beds flat and clean.. I can put up with dated furniture and a missing lick of paint.. I'm not there judging holiday rooms of the year.. its somewhere to put my head and see the country I'm in.....

oh and we are in a 2+2 apartment (for the 3 of us).. so I'm hoping thats got some sort of division between the sleeping ?
Cy
Noufaro aren't doing the free wine this year :(
Ady
oh as we are going the week after the schools go back.. do you think it will be less busy ????
yes i would think so as most schools ask the parents not to take their children out of school for the first few weeks of the new school year
hang on ,.. missed that.. NO FREE WINE??????? whats that all about.. right cancel the holiday... honey get on that computer and start searching.."package deal, free wine with meal" see what they've got... :lol:
Hi AskCy,
When I made comments about the corridors, perhaps I should have been more specific. I am not expecting things to be clinically clean, or to be able to eat my dinner off the floor but there was graffiti on the walls which I thought should have been covered over. Also, the door of our apartment had been patched up where it looked as though someone had tried to force entry some time previously. When walking about the apartment bedroom in bare feet, the carpet was covered in 'stuff' that we hadn't dropped there so heaven knows when it was last hoovered. Be warned also that when we were there, a young lad of about 14 years of age slipped on a wet apartment floor (tiled living area) and crashed through the balcony door shattering glass everywhere, suffering multiple cuts in the process - take care with this. Incidentally, to add insult to what could have been a very nasty injury, Crown Resorts charged his family the cost of replacing the glass. :? As I said previously this place is fantastic for kids, my nephew would kill to go back again. Unfortunately for me, I felt there were a lot of things that could be improved upon. Again I would emphasise we were there first week of the season and I'm sure with some more weeks under their belt things will have got better. You'll see from my review, we also loved Noufaro but be sure to also try the Phoenix bar at the top of the hill on the opposite side from the Elamaris, you won't be disappointed.
phoenix bar?.. is that new?.. can't say I remember it ?...(2 years ago)...

thanks ,...
Hi,
Phoenix Bar is sort of new !! It was formerly Spartacus but was completely destroyed in the fire in Pernera which I believe happened in October last year. The bar had newly re-opened when we were there and hence the name change the Phoenix that 'rose from the ashes.' You will be guaranteed a great welcome from the owners Barry & Yvonne, breakfast is a must, it was simply the best place we ate at. As I also asked Cardifflad to do, if you do go in, please say Claire, John and Wee Gary from Scotland were asking for them - you may even be able to login on their PC and show them this message as Cardifflad kindly did !!!
I thought the fire was where the Stuffed Olive was (as working out in other post)..and thats on the otherside of the road?... is this another fire then ?

When you say best place to eat are we talking traditional home cooked Cypriot dishes then ?
Hi AskCy
Just to add to the comments about the Elamaris....I worked there as a children's rep 2 years ago and as I no longer work for the company I have no reason to be anything other than honest :)
I would agree that the rooms are not the most up to date but when I was there cleanliness was certainly never an issue. This is reflected in the 'customer satisfaction scores' you see in the Thomson brochure - the Elamaris always gets 100% in all areas or very close to 100%. It is not a 4 or 5 star hotel but 3* and I would say the rooms are fine, I would even say quite nice - I have seen much worse!!!
ClaireT mentioned her door "looked as though someone had tried to force entry at some time". If somebody had I would be VERY surprised. I never knew of ANY break ins the whole time I was there (unlike another country/resort I worked in), the whole area is very safe - so much so that in the apartment where I lived round the corner, I always had my patio doors and windows open all day everyday/night whether I was in or out (I didn't have the luxury of air-con :?) and never worried about being broken into....sorry I digress.....
Food: we were provided with free meals in the hotel restaurant so I ate there regularly. It is situated next to reception. It is ok, but if I were you I wouldn't bother; the restaurants in Pernera/Protaras will offer better food for the same price. The Cypriot night was always quite nice and Carvery night (lovely gammon!) but as I said - our meals there were free, if I had been paying I would have ventured out as there are so many nice places to eat!
Sunbeds: if I remember correctly in September (esp when the schools first go back) it is not as bad as high season. That said, as mentioned, there aren't enough beds simply because there is not enough room for anymore. Although it is said that towels will be removed - they won't be. It is not a reps job to do that, and the hotel staff won't actually do it as they will not remove peoples property (could easily be accused of stealing etc). So if you do 'reserve' beds don't worry, the worst you will get is dirty looks from other guests! :) You probably will have to get up early for sunbeds, but hopefully not as early as 7am!!
I'm sure you'll have a great holiday, I wish I was still there!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.