Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
I wish you good luck with currency exchange... I was in UK in october and I paid arround 1,40 for each pound and now is 1x1...
Hi im looking for advice on spending money ;)

Me my husband and 3 kids aged 9,5,4 are going to cap salou in july we are going self catering for 2weeks and i havent a clue how much money we will need :que this is our first family holiday so am not clued up on any thing :think

can any one tell me :tup

HOW much money you think we will need for the 2weeks? i think we will eat out for dinner but buy in stuff for brekie and lunch

cheers any help and advice would be great im starting to panic about money now and saving like a mad woman so it would be great 2 have a rough idea what we should need :cheers
:wave: hi we were self catering at the med village before and there's four of us. we had a couple of options, either eat at the hotel as it was pay at the door or eat at cap salou, a couple of good places to eat there for dinner and geared up for kids. we went to the rio grande in salou and it cost us about 37 euros for main meals and juice and drinks.we got cereal,bread,etc for breakie and bits for supper.quite a bit spent on food when you go self catering,for the past three years we went half board and my son is really fussy, but we managed. i would say 80 - 100 euros a day self catering and to not have to worry about money when you are there.(my opinion) :que
Thanks for the reply beermat im thinking £2000 should be more than enough for eating and and going 2 the water parks ect, starting to wish we hada booked half board now but i guess we wont know till we go and has its our first family holiday its only natural we will make mistakes

:tup
:wave:

cap salou staying in the sun club apartments. we really need a holiday and dont wana ruin it by worrying about how much money we have 2 spend and with the euro rate at the min its a nighmare lol
:tup that one faces onto the med village. you have an onsite shop and they do a good breakie in the wee cafe they have. you're handy for the buses, they stop just outside,as does the land train. if you don't like the entertainment, go to the med village and have a couple of drinks and watch theirs.usually good.our kids loved it there,the kids club was great.the sunclub is close to the pubs where we took the kids for tea sometimes,just across the road and down the hill. there is also amusements for them,little bungi jumps and roundabouts.been to the area a couple of times.lovely :D
thanks beermat hopefully we will have a great time and not run out of money, If we are getting it tight with money i guess we can lay around the pool 4 a few days

thanks for the info much appreciated

:) :tup
Hi tomncat.....you may like this sugestion ....we went Salou for years self catering . ..though not up in cap salou....take a family bus trip to the old town ...they run frequently from where you are...dont take the Wally Trolly....you will go through main tourist area and will give you chance to fathom out where you are in relation to rest of salou...spot mcdonalds burger king ect...have a look round the old town...then look for the big supermarket not far from the railway station...think it is called Mercadona...its the one the locals use...its huge inside like asda...the kids will find most of what they like ...try the local brands Ifound they were cheaper and just as good...then get bus back....sure everyone will help carry shoping home.....saves on drinks ect and serves as trip out at same time....another tip is if your kids are cereal eaters put a bag of their favorite in each of their cases...it can be expensive in salou as not popular like here....have a great time
ps...things used to be a lot cheaper due to good pound to euro rates...not now though...pound and euro basicaly equal...think what it would cost to do the same here as you plan to do in salou...will be a good guide to how much you need to see you through
thanks TWEETIE PIE all the advice i can get before i go will be a great help as this is our first family holiday with 3kids. good tip on the cereal my kids love there cereal the 2 wee ones are only 3 and 4 and live on the stuff. i was thinking of putting a few box's of freez pops in to my case as well just hope they dont bust on the way over also going to take noodles for the kids lunches, we have worked out how much we can save for spending and hopefully be able to have around 2300 saved plus we already ave our portaventura tickets bought, my husband was in the bank yesterday and one of the ladys was telling him the pound is getting stronger every day so heres hoping its alot better before we all take of on hols :sun2

cheers for the advice :cheers
ps...take a few bin bags with you...you will have wet or damp towels ect to bring home if your kids are anything like mine were....and its no problem if you put in bin bags in your cases ....get plastic storage boxes to put pops ect in case ...
about the euro

I think pound will slowly get stronger...but wont be any big hikes this year...next year should be much better....If I wasnt going to my sons wedding in Greece this year I wouldnt have bothered...only going for a week and not all the family going.....am leaving it till next year for proper family hols...going camping and making best use of my caravan this year...

Just now the pound is basically level with the euro...weve come clean about all the mess the banks have got us into...and its affecting the pound and our industry...and people are coming out work...but we are an exporting industrial nation and also export in other ways ie insurance ect....we will go through murky 12 months....but the weak pound makes our exports cheaper especially the invisible exports like insurance expertise ect ....our weak pound will also atract more foreign visitors spending money our economy needs ...its more the lack of loan cash pulling industry down...when this gets sorted things will get better and the stock markets will rise and the pound will get stronger...

On the other hand the rest of europe has not been as forthcoming or open about how much mess they are really in yet....A lot of the euro zone is heavily reliant on holiday makers ,and there are lots of bussineses linked one way or another to the holiday trade....this year the strong euro will prevent lots of British holiday makers going to the eurozone ...lots will holiday at home in Britain instead...lots of foriegn holiday makers wishing to see europe will come to Britain instead as well because they get more for their money with a weak pound....the euro will weaken just as the pound has....which will redress the balance between the pound and the euro....

So next year there will also be plenty of good deals I think to encourage back the holiday trade they have lost....roll on next year
:( bloke working in our local post office reckons that the euro won't go up for the coming months. looks like we won't be spending much :whoops
Hi, with the exchange rates going down fast, I'm a bit wary of what to do about my holiday spends :( However, every other time we've been on holiday, we've taken £ sterling and changed our money abroad due to a better exhange rate.
Whats the exchange rate like over in Salou?
Cheers
Dom :)
About currency exchange...

As many of you know I'm from Salou I went to UK in October and got pounds at arround 1,38 € I was in UK again about 10 days ago and got pounds at 1,08€ so... big change in so small time...
is the exchange rate a bit better in Salou at the moment becouse i was thinking in exchanging my money when i am over there but not sure what to do now can someone steer me in the right direction in this matter.

sharonc
Sorry sharon I can't help you... when i go to UK I usually take money from ATM which is much cheaper than pay for exchange rate :)
hi tomnkat,

just wanted to reply to your post and to let you know that you will have loads in £2000, you definetely picked the best option going self catering as there is some great places to eat out in salou for very little money. for example there is a lovely restaraunt lookin out onto the sea on the main strip where main courses are just 7-8 euro. I have been to salou for the last three years and the first time went half board and the food was terrible, and so boring eating in the same place every night.

So i hope you have a brillant holiday and dont worry about money, its really cheap out there :cheers
cheers sarahnew im feeling a little more relaxed now lol we got a suprice a few weeks ago im now pregnant so will be more of a relaxing holiday now we will save a fortune now that i cant drink :cheers

;) :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.