Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I found that if you wait until you go over and use the banks to withdraw money u get a slight better rate also travel agent in main strip of protaras does a good rate and there is also other places too
anyone know what the average rate is over there at the minute? we usually go to the little travel shop round the corner to the chemist in pernera which is always the best rate for exchange of british pounds.
:think I am confused now!! This will be our first trip to Cyprus and just got our tickets yesterday - on 'info. on Cyprus' it says that euros are not widely accepted!! I thought they were in the euro zone now. Should I take sterling, euros or are Cypriot pounds still in circulation??? Help please :que
Well they were accepting when I visited last year.

Kath x
they are probably using up old stock of information slips.. Cyprus went euro a while back, CYP are no longer available, I usually take sterling cash and exchange once i am there, the rate will be the same or better than the UK,

yasus
wizard
Thanks for the replies, guys! Just panicking as usual - eurozone is all new to me.
Just 24 sleeps!
Hi, are there any commision free currency exchange places in paphos for American express travellers cheques? If so are they close to the Alexander the great hotel?
Thanks.
Steve... that same box wine was €1.66 in Kokkinos supermarket in Paralimni last week and €1.97 in my local convenience store in Kapparis.

Marion
Anyone know what the best pound to euro exchange rate is at the moment?
Can only find 1.07 so far and we fly out in 4 weeks. Whats the rate over in Cyprus?
Ta
I got some Euros on Saturday and got 1.08 from Tesco's of all places. They seem to have very competitive rates and don't charge commission.
Cool, i booked through thomas cook who i think do a special rate where if they are beaten they not only match but better the rate...
I'll need to find out more about it!
We changed £500 at beginning of April in our local Travelcare and their rate was something like 1.065 and we pointed out that some of the others were doing 1.069 so they did it for 1.07 ! - never realised you could haggle ! ;)
We got 1.10 today but board outside says 1.12 - Yerimos scooter hire place about half-way down strip in Protaras.

Marion
Can enyone please tell me what the exchange rate is at the moment in Protaras, and also if there is anywhere that does comission free exchange rate.
We are flying out 4 week today and need to sort out the money!! :cheers
Don't know about local rates in Cyprus but I haggled a bit at my local First Choice office and got 1.11 with no commission, which was better than the rate my own bank could give me.
I may well have been able to get maybe another cent in Paphos but is it worth the gamble? By the time you get there the rate could easily go against you. I took the view that it's better to get e decent rate here rather than only a possibility that I'd get a better rate in Cyprus/

Interestingly enough I was in another bank later and heard a cashier telling one of their customers to 'go to the travel agents, down the road - they'll give you a better rate'. They meant First Choice, too.
I came back from Protaras last Thursday and whilst we were there Sweet Memories rates were 1.13 for Sterling with a commission of 4 euros up to £400 and anything above that a commission of 1%. The Pharmacy on the corner of the strip (near McDonalds - sort of opposite The Greenery) was giving 1.0950 with no commission

Have a good time
I got 1.09 from M&S this weekend,going to hold out for a few more days see if it
goes up anymore...... althought thats as good as its been for a while.
Change in Cuprus you will get the best deal.

We used our Nationwide card free of charge and the exchange rate was better than hear.The best we got was 1.156.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.