Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Can anyone give me any tips/advice about taking money/exchanging money in Protaras.

Been there numerous times and always took the old fashioned travellers cheques (sterling), but getting fed up :cry of the commission situation , so going to try something different.

What do you recommend - cash (I always get safety box anyway) or Euro ravellers cheques.

Is it best to take sterling or Euros - i.e. is exchange any better over there. :que .....and where does the best exchanges - we have always sauntered down to the Kokkinos Apts to exchange our sterling cheques. (from our own Vangelis - due to Vamgelis abysmal(sp) rate !)

A pal that goes to Napa takes all sterling and exchanges at small 'booths' as he says they give best rate and no commission, but he's unsure if there are any in Protaras :think

Thanks for ANY suggestions.
yes there are and also most car hire places do, I always take sterling, in the past [cant comment under current trading] we usually got a few cents more in resort, and if your in Pernera there are places there too

yasus
wizard
Remeber that there will be a limit on the amount of cash your travel insurance will cover if it is lost or stolen.

luci :wave
cheers guys - that was always historically why we never took cash - but seems best rates ' may ' involve cash over there?? :think
I used a cash passport card for the first time last year brill it was and no charge for withdrawals
Never heard of that one..... need to investigate :tup
I also have the type of card iallen refers to. We use this one, but there are many others
http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/

For reference, most of the kiosks were offering ~€1.09 to the £ last week
Cheers pubdog - 1.08 here in Scotland. :cheers
Do you pay a fee when you withdraw using the Caxton?

trev.
Cheers y'all.

Think we may go for the casharoony and exchange at 'booths'...risky, but never had bother with safety dep. boxes so far..and it will make a change from the old travellers cheques and commission.....just always frightened card b#####s up! :whoops

:sun2
trev.
Anyone let me know what the current exchange rate on the street is over their at present - for sterling cash?

Would get 1.115 Euros for a pound at the cheque centre over here at present - any different in PROTARAS?
:cheers
trev.
Hi Shoestring
Just back from Protaras on Wednesday, when we first got there 25th May exchange rate in Sweet Memories was 1.14 with 1% commission by the the time we left 8/6 it was 1.115. There are places that advertise no commission but you don't get as good a rate. One big tip if you take travellers cheques make sure you take sterling not euros because in our hotel they were charging 2 euros for every 50 euro cheque changed

Caron C
Can you tell me if yorkshire bank Maestro cards can be used in Ayia Napa please, thank you, just the Maestro cheers:)
mystro are normally supported by any machine displaying the MASTERCARD symbol
i dont know how old it is but maestro ans solo were merged into mastercard a couple of years back, thats why i said look for s Mastercard machine.. [I assume she did notify her bank prior to travel that she would be abroad for a few months! or they may block it.
Yes bank notified, but they wernt sure saying ayia napa was in the north, but i thought protaras, pernera and napa was in the east, as to whther they wud take the card or not
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.