Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
can anyone tell me what the exchange rate is over there at the mo? :tup
Flying to GC tomorrow and was thinking of changing some money today, the rate is pants 120 :duh at Thomas Cooks and that's for £1000, only 117 for £200.
Will it be better in PR?
Thankyou
Gina
Ginak

I think by what my friends said when they were in GC they got a better exchange rate than what it was here,wasn't much difference but every little helps

I'm flying to GC in 2 weeks and i'm only taking a few euros and getting the rest changed over there ;)

Enjoy your hols!! :)
Had a look on the way down to the pub today and you can get 1.23 and 1.24 in the centre at Christinas and Amigos

:cheers
Thanks for your replies, changed some today at the Post Office for 1.20 as Thomas Cook was 119 (down on yesterday) so the rest I'll change in PR.
1 sleep to go !
Gina :wave:
Just used my nationwide card and i got 1.26 and 1.27 most days so a much better rate!
Does anyone know of any good places to exchange Sterling Travel Cheques in Playa Del Ingles. Will be staying about half way between Yumbo and Gran Chapperall (excuse spelling if that spelt wrong!) commercial centres.
thanks
hi coming monday would you recomed bring euro or pound trave cheques
Definitely sterling travellers cheques as you would be charged commission on euro TC's. See Page 1 of the currency topic at the top of the General Holiday Enquiries forum.

luci :wave
I am in total shock having read this thread. You are never going to get a decent exchange rate by using the old fasioned travellers cheques or exchanging physical cash in resort. I can't beleive people are still doing this.

Go to Nationwide building society and open a Flex Account. You will be issued with a cash card which has a CIRRUS logo on it. Put your holiday money in your account and draw it out of any cash machine when you get to your destination. As mentioned above you will receive an excellent rate. You can also draw out small amounts without being penalised so you do not have to worry about looking after lots of cash.

Also, if you have a Nationwide VISA DEBIT Card you can use it in the shops also at an excellent rate.

This only works with Nationwide because other UK banks will add a comision to the exchange rate and also charge you a fixed fee (up to £3.00) each time you use your card.

Please note the followoing important points:

1/ Most cash machines will give you the option of being charged in Euro or British Pounds. Always choose Euro - you will lose out if you choose pounds.
2/ If you have the VISA debit card always tell the shopkeeper you want to pay in Euro ("Deseo pagar en Euro por favor") as their credit card machines sometimes also give the option and they often don't bother to ask you which currency you want (which they are obliged to do).
3/ The cash card is safer than the debit card. Why? Most shops DO NOT have chip and pin but they do all insist on photo id when you use a debit or credit card; however, they never check that the person presenting the photo id is actually the person in the photo and they never compare the signature on the sales slip with that on the card or the photo id. This means if you lose the debit card and the photo id together you are very exposed. I personally never carry my photo id and my debit card together in town at night - it just means I can't use the debit card in shops - I can still use it in the cash machine.
Going to Playa del Ingles (and Gran Canaria!) for the first time in just over 2 weeks.
Can anyone recommend any places for changing money there?

As we will be there over Christmas/New Year I'm a little concerned that the banks won't be open too often, but from previous visits to other parts of Spain I'm aware that there are other shops/businesses that will give a better exchange rate (and there are those that will rip you off as well!!)

Can anyone that's been recently advise what the exchange rate is like out there? My parents have just come back from mainland Spain, where they got €1.15/£1. :-(
Off topic why???!?

Thought this was a thread about exchange rates - am I wrong????

Anyone come back recently who can advise what the current exchange rate is, in light of the recent economic problems?
Any USEFUL comments/info greatly appreciated :-)
i think it was this comment emma4emma ;)

The site has you as a member since 1970
Hi
ThanksI'm going to Puerto Rico on 7/3/09 just for a week, has anyone just come back and if so can you tell me what the exchange rate is in the resort at the moment. I can get 1.08 Euro to the £ at the bank here. I'm trying to work out if its better to change it here or take sterling and change it over there. I know someone who was on mainland Spain for Xmas and they were only getting 97 cents to the £ in resort.

Many Thanks :)
Caron
been bouncing around 1.12 for a while has crept up a bit somedays
Thanks Neil, forgot to ask before is the commission rate about 2%?

Caron
Most places are comm free (slightly lower rate) or between 2 and 3% (better rate) I'll look at todays on my way to work today and post tonight
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.