Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I was shocked to see it advertised in Thomsons window at 1.16 this afternoon :yikes I am going to Germany in 2 weeks and thinking of taking Dollars!I guess its back to Turkey for my main holiday! :sun2
I wonder if it will be a good idea to take dollars ?...........starting to panic as we go late May......It can't drop much more ( i hope ).....we went to Spain last September and got 1.46 to the pound............the only good thing we have going for us is we are all inclusive.
The town where we are going has American forces nearby and I am sure their relatives must take dollars when they visit them.I will have to work out what the exchange rate from dollar to euro is! :que
Jay

The dollar is pretty week against the Euro as well as the pound. I came back from the USA a couple of weeks ago and had some dollars left, I got 62c for 1$ when I changed them into Euros here in Germany and I had to go into town as my local bank didn't want them.
Most American bases have their own banks so local banks don't always get a lot of trade with visitors from the USA. It may be worth it though.
Where do dollars come in to the equation in Menorca. Am i missing out on something. I am confused.
If you read the previous posts you would see that someone thought that they might get a better rate for the dollar than the pound. Nothing confusing about it at all.
Thanks Judith,I am waiting for my son to get back to me regarding taking dollars as he travels to Germany often.We are taking a trip down memory lane to where we lived 40 years ago!I have never been back since and my son and daughter,who was born there, have booked this trip for my husbands birthday.They are meeting us at the Hanover airport and we are staying in Celle.I dont think we will make it to Bavaria this time but I will be back when the pound strengthens against the euro!
Judith, Do they mean change Pounds for Dollars and then take Dollars to Menorca and change them into Euros. Only, I have never heard of this before. Sorry if I havent expressed myself very well.
If your getting about $1.90 ish to the £1 and 60 cents to the $ then doesn't that work our roughly the same as the 1.19 Euro exchange rate the £ offers? Plus you have the hassle of exchanging $'s in Menorca.

The news appears to indicate that the Euro will remain strong whilst interest rates are high. Trouble is a strong Euro is bad for Eurozone exports and the tourists zone.

TBH we're taking £500 on holiday - regardless of the exchange rate. So if it get's worse it means less to spend on holiday....
I think with the pound being strong against the dollar some people think that that they may get a better rate by changing into dollars then changing into Euros but the dollar is so weak against the Euro it's not worth the bother.
My gut feeling, is if you keep converting from one currency to another ie change sterling to dollars to get a marginally better dollar to euro rate the only people who get rich are the banks.
  • Edited by doe 2008-04-24 21:49:42
I remember changing dollars in Turkey left over from a holiday to Florida and got an amazing rate!.My husband found 20euros in his wallet so we will just use our Nationwide card when we get there!.
Exchange rate a bit better today - 1.223 at the same M&S as before. :tup
Yeah, we can all have a whinge and a moan about the exchange rate but , lets face it, some places are worth paying a little extra for. Menorca is one of them so lets all just cough up til the rate improves.
Just shop around for a bit more value for money when you get there. There are many very good and economical bars and restaurants in Menorca no matter how the rate is.
I have done the all inclusive thing in the past in an attempt to beat the rate but found that the hotel just serves rubbish drinks at the only bar you are allowed to drink in for the duration of your holiday.
Always end up out in the local bars and pubs anyway.
Have a nice holiday everyone
Where would be without a little moan and whinge :rofl

While I agree that a good place is worth paying for, personally I don't want to give too many of my hard earned £'s to Uncle Gordon as it is. Now the poor exchange rate I'm giving him some of my holiday money as well.

But perhaps in fairness to Uncle Gordon, the latest problems are more to do with greedy banks than govts.

Exchange rate is still better at M&S - Nearly 1.23

Interest rates are likely to be lowered next month which may have a knock on affect on the Euro.
Travelex at the airports are offering 1.2451 which is the best ive seen :tup
In general, Travelex does offer about the best exchange rates around. However, you must pre purchase online and collect at the airport. If you don't pre book online, and just buy at Travelex counter, you will get one of the worst rates going.
G :shock: osh, im am shocked after reading the euro exchange as last year i exchanged one pound for 1.407 euros!! wat is happening to our pound??
kazlin wrote:
G :shock: osh, im am shocked after reading the euro exchange as last year i exchanged one pound for 1.407 euros!! wat is happening to our pound??

Its being pounded!

Seriously though, the best policy seems to be buying currency in the UK - Travelex seem to have the best deal providing you buy online then collect at the airport, however, they don't have a shop at Manchester T1 :(

Luckily we're all inclusive so will only need a few cents!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.