General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i deleted the page that the holiday truths web site does a currency converter could you direct me to the page please thanks in advance.x.
thank you so much this is so helpful
If you are thinking of buying online I use:

https://www.travelex.co.uk/personal/moneynet.asp - 46k

They offer the best online rates.

hth
i checked the web site out for money it wasn't offering a good exchange rate we got a better deal from the bank of scotland thanks anyway
Just thought I'd highlight for forum members who prefer to buy their holiday Euros when rates are favourable, rather than just before they go, that the Euro exchange rate is pretty good at the moment. The tourist rate is currently around €1.47 per £1 at places like Marks & Spencers, Onlinefx and Travelex. :tup
A useful site for comparing travel rates is http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk You can also order in advance at http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.co.uk at favourable rates.

luci :wave
Going to Mexico for the first time in March and have been advised to take US $ for tipping in our all inclusive.
I have some $100 & $50 bills left from a previous holiday in the Caribbean which I would like to change for $5s & $1s - where is the best place to do this? I 'm sure the bank would do it ... but at a cost!!!
Should I wait til I get to Mexico?? :?
Not up to date on whether they are going up or down so hope you can help?
We are going on holiday end of May so they are not needed urgently but i thought i'd check to see if they are coming down or anything so best to get some in now or are they pretty much the same rate all the time?

Thanks
I am confused whether to take travellers cheques or just withdraw at ATM going to Greece in a couple of weeks and in a muddle over this one. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I know this is a pretty basic question, but going to Ibiza in June and not sure if I should buy sterling travellers cheques or euro travellers cheques - and does it really matter. I will obviously take currency as well. Thanks for advice!
Hi julie ... Sterling Travellers Cheques not Euro Travellers Cheques - and yes, it does really matter !! Check out my post on page 1 for my reasons for saying so.

David :wave
Thanks David this has answered my query as well I will stick to travellers cheques and some currency.
Thanks David - plain and simple advice, just exactly what I wanted. This is a great forum!
On holiday I usually multiply the euro amount by 6 to get a rough idea of the price in sterling, and then just move the point. Always found this simple but now a friend tells me this is a rubbish way of working it out as it doesn't give anything like the right amount. i.e. 20 euros X 6 = 120 = £1.20. Am I miles out in calculation :?: :oops:
i always work on 1 euro is 70pence
Thanks for help. The cheat sheet will be a great help when I head off in 2weeks. Roll on :D :D :D
For euros I work on it being 2/3rds, ie 21 euros divided by 3 and multiplied by 2 = £14.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.