General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I read in the Sunday Times Travel section and the finance section today that the best advice they could give was to buy now for EU holidays as it will get worse before it gets better before the very end of the year.

They did talk about loading those pre-pay cards now as you get todays rate rather than the rate available when you come to use them.
Hi Calabonagirl, I wonder if you could let me know the email address of the Hotel Moreyo in cala bona,
Kind regards, Clive.
Parkypig, The hotel does not reopen for the season til May but the email address is http://www.hotelmoreyo.com/ Any other queries let me know see if I can help.CBG
Thanks for that CBG, we have been to cala bona many times but never in the Moreyo, it looks pretty ok on the website, booking in for june and can't believe the price!
Thanks Clive.
anyone have any thoughts about getting US Dollars now or wait until later..

sharon
Parkypig - we're off to the Moreyo soon too! We fly 27 May for 2 weeks and know what you mean about the price. Tippi stays there too!

When you're in resort a little walk down towards the harbour opposite Crazy Corner you'll see a shop called Pireo - not sure about this year but she's always given the best exchange rate in resort and doesn't charge commission. We're planning on doing our usual £300 exchanged into Euro's here and the rest in sterling travellers cheques to change over there and just pray we're doing the right thing!

Tis
hi we are off to lanzerote on thursday and did plan on taking some euros for the first few days then sterling travelers cheques for the rest of the holiday, is this the best option??
does anyone have any idea where is the best place to shop to get a good rate??
thanks
For euro rates in the UK check http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk Make sure you check for any commission charges for changing your cash abroad and ask how much you will get for a specific amount of sterling.

luci :wave
hi luci thanks for your reply,
i did look on there before posting my question and have looked again it only gives me the option of euro travelers cheques i thought it was better to buy sterling travelers cheques as its better to exchange them in lanzerote rather than the euro ones am i right???
does anyone know the exchange rate in lanza at the moment thanks
any advice is greatly appreciated im getting more and more confused,lol,thanks
Have any of you used the Travelex passport which they claim makes it easier to carry cash abroad

If so would you recommend it

Link here http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/personal/p ... sport.aspx

YNTTK
I've been reading the Travelex website and it sounds good in theory, but I'd also like to know if anyone has used this? :que
Went to look get our travellers cheques today. While in town (Preston) we looked in various windows for best Euro rate. Post Office 1.20, thomson + first choice 1.232, Thomas cook 1.225. Best rate we found was from this firm Cheque centre, never been in before (thought it was just a pay day advance store till we saw sign in window)but got 1.236, only a couple of cents difference but it all mounts up. Commission free and no minimum spend.
Branch locater - click map
M&S Today the Euro was 1.2285

400 euro's cost £325.60
Have any of you used the Travelex passport which they claim makes it easier to carry cash abroad

If so would you recommend it

Link here http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/personal/p ... sport.aspx

YNTTK

Quick plug for my employers :(

The post office does one as well that can be 'pre-loaded' with between £50 and £2500 pounds.
FULL Details We put 100 euro on one for "emergency money" but don't plan to use it unless we get caught short somewhere
I've been reading the small print for Travelex and Post Office TMC and there's fees for loading the card, fees for ATM withdrawals, and fees for using as a payment card. Sounds like it could get expensive.

So cheques and cash are the way to go! I'm off to haggle with exchange rates?!?!
Hubby just got some of our cash today at Thomas Cook and got 1.225. We are talking exactly the same amount as last year but are 200euros down. This rate is shocking, I can't get my cash till next friday as that is my payday, lets hope it doesn't drop anymore. :(
I looked at the post office & travelex cards and then got pointed in the direction of the Fairfx card which is a pre-loadable mastercard.
I got a rate of €1.2565 last week and there's no fee to load if spending >£500. Then it's a €1.50 fixed fee for cash withdrawals and no other fees, so if you use the card to purchase it's totally fee free..

There's a few other pre-pay mastercard/visa cards about but fairfx or caxtoncard seem the best ones....
I took my nationwide flex card away with me last year. There are no additional charges, and the exchange rate seems to be more or less the exchange rate of that day. On todays rate that would be about 1.259.
I always take my Nationwide Flex card. It's so easy, you never have to have too much cash on you and there are no charges! Infact you always get about 4 or 5 cents better rates than the shops etc!
As for the Post Office, theres no way in hell I'm queueing for 20 minutes in there! Thats what it's like in our post office and they expect us to change our cash in there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.