Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
1.07 today... next week you get three bits of string, a button and some fluff for a pound :(
Thanks Everyone for the replies. I've now returned from my hols. I changed most of my money here and got 1.08 pleased I did as the rate seemed to be dropping all the time we were away. Only had to change a small amount of money at the end of the holiday, we stayed in Casablanca apartments and on Saturday the exchange rate was 1.02 with 1% commission on cash and 1.04 with 2% commission for travellers cheques.
crying out loud the rate is bad, come september i will be taking my family on the golf course to eat the grass for our evening meal if its gets any worse
anyone know what exchange rate you can get in playa del ingles at moment is it better than in uk ? thanks
can anyone tell me exchange rate in playa del ingles at moment im goin on monday and in uk its only 1.02 thanks
Going to puerto rico eden apartments for the first time usually go to tenerife can any one recommend a good place to exchange travellers cheques that don't charge you for doing it in the area,
Is it best to wait until I arrive on the island and change my sterling? Is there a better rate than at home (I know it's bad already, but every little helps!!!)
on a rule its usually one or two cents better on the resorts than in the uk. ive just bought mine on line and got 1.15 euros to the pound
Thanks for that, I've been saying this to the Mrs for the last two weeks and she didn't believe me! ;)

BTW, if anyone is looking to take Euro's with them, the best rate I've found so far (and I've looked everywhere!) is at those Cheque Centre places. You know, the ones who will cash your cheques immediately for a commission when you're skint.

They charge no commission and you need to order 5 business days before you want them but they will give you a good 2 cents more to the pound than your travel agents or the post office.
I can't post a link yet, but the best rates I have since found are on a comparison list on Moneysavingexpert.com under travel money.

Others have told me they just put all their cash in their account and withdraw from a cashline when they get there as you get the current trading rate. Anyone else do that?

I usually get Sterling travellers cheques and cash them when I'm there. I find that's the safest way as they are replaceable if they are lost/stolen. Does anyone else still do this or is it a bit old fashioned to do it this way?
For info and discussion about buying currency in advance rather than in resort, THIS topic in our General Holiday Enquiries forum may be of more interest.

Others have told me they just put all their cash in their account and withdraw from a cashline when they get there as you get the current trading rate. Anyone else do that?

Lots of members are users of the Nationwide Flex account, which does not charge fees for withdrawals. However, that is an option which may not be available in future to new applicants.

I usually get Sterling travellers cheques and cash them when I'm there. I find that's the safest way as they are replaceable if they are lost/stolen. Does anyone else still do this or is it a bit old fashioned to do it this way?

Maybe old fashioned, but I would regard that as a wise option from a safety point of view, it's also a back up if for example the ATM swallowed your card and left you stranded without funds.

David :wave
we have gone for the coop travel card , how many cash points are there in the euro / commercial centre or in the resort in general .

thank you

gary
the cash points at the top are not in banks, and for piece of mind i would stick to those that are. In the bottom (main) cente of puerto rico there are about 10+ all within a few yards of each other. Other resorts they are dotted around abit more. I would advise anyone to stick to the cash points at banks, and if your card is stuck or swallowed NEVER give out the pin. It sounds so obvious but people on holiday often seem to switch off a bit...
Hi
Can anyone confirm if I could use my Maestro card in the cash machines in GC? Never had to use it before but I get paid while I'm away and may need to. Also any idea how much they charge?

Thanks
Debbie
We are staying A/I at the RUI VISTAMAR in peurto rico in a few weeks and with the exchange rate poor at the moment could anyone direct me to somewhere who does a decent rate of exchange so we can go straight there without the usual walking about.

many thanks
mark
Debbie,

Here is a list of charges that different banks charge for Credit/Debit Cards.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-charges

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.