Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Could you possibly tell me, is it better to take sterling and change in the bank in Pernera, or buy euros from the UK, is there much difference, thank you.

Michelle x
Change in the kiosks not the banks and you will get a (not loads) better rate than the UK.
Thanks pubdog, whats the rate today? Thanks.
Sorry, don't know the rate today DR as we are in the UK :(
We were over the other week and we could have got around 1.10/1.11, but that said, most of the kiosks that do exchange were closed as it is out of season.

We used our Nationwide card to withdraw cash, and although we are still waiting for a statement, the Visa rate has hovered around the 1.14 - 1.15 mark for a while.
Off to cyprus in 3 weeks and looking at getting my Euros, is it worth getting them here or taking sterling out and changing it in Cyprus??
Last I heard in general passing was the rate in Protaras was about 1.12 and I got that yesterday in the UK...
Any changes with the Euro in Cyprus, i suppose it is only a matter of a few cents, but on crown currency it is 1.17 and i got 1.12 today from the co-op. Is it better to buy them in the UK?
Thanks
Michelle x
We were in Pernera in October 09 and found taking GBP and just changing it over there worked out better than changing it here! We do this every year and have always got a better rate doing it this way.
Hi can anybody advise me on prices in Cyprus this year please, especially in comparison with the Greek islands. It's somewhere i've always fancied going but my sis put me off when she went a few years ago. She actually went way over budget on self catering and said that food and drink were quite a bit more expensive than Greece (which incidentally, I don't find cheap nowadays).

I'd made up my mind that we were going to head to the Greek islands but this was before Greece got into economic troubles. I wonder if this is the time to be thinking about Cyprus :que

Has anybody got any examples of costs for me please? I'm talking about a spot of lunch and a glass or two of wine. Would it be more cost effective to go half board? Then all we'd need to buy would be some lunch and a few drinks in the evening. We normally do self catering which would be our preferred option if the cost of living is reasonable.

Thanks for any input and help.
I didn't actually take pics of the prices this year !...well not many to be honest... if we get back in August I'll do a bit better... lol although most of the prices were similar to last year...

This year in our hotel in Pernera (food decent, very good snacks etc)
snacks in Livas May 2010

Prices in April 2009
Prices around Pernera April 2009

hope this helps a little :tup

Steve
Hi guys, just to ask what are they using in terms of currency now?, is it cyprus pounds and/or euro?. thanks
off to Latchi this coming sunday.

Is it best to get Euro's before I go or when I arrive.

The best rate I've this week is £1 = 1.17 euro

Thanks
I bought £1000 Euros from Crown Currency exchange who always have better rates than anyone else. I have also got another thousand pounds but popped it on my flex card from Nationwide, so when i get it out of the hole in the wall i wont be charged owt and i wont get tourist rates either !

hth

Michelle :)
I went at the beginning of June, got 1.12 at Tesco on one of the preloaded cards - rate in Ayia Napa was between 1.17 and 1.19 with no commission in most places.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.