General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Kiltman
Last night via their website I ordered a garden patio set

c'mon now lad, think ahead...all bank holidays have discount from home-base and like :yikes
hotels4u were good last year when BA decided not to fly anymore on the day we had booked. I had to contact hotels4u to see if we could add on another 2 days to the hotel we had booked. The woman told me that they had to cancel the booking and start all over again. I immediately thought that this would be a carry on and a moneyspinner for them. Not at all! In fact I think we got a bargain. We ended up paying £20 per day extra and that was for an "executive" room on AI.
Several years ago now Emirates Airlines did similar- except it was the day before we were due to fly out. They had just rebooked us on a flight home 2 days earlier! We had booked through Expedia and CS phoned me while I was in town to do some alst minute shopping. I was pretty upset about it as you can imagine. However the woman told me that she didn't think it was acceptable and she would get back to me after she had contacted them again. There was a lot of going back and forth and finally hours later she had sorted the flight home. We were getting back about 6 or 7 hours later than original with an overnight in Dubai thrown in free as it was a very long connection time. She actually stayed beyond the end of her shift to sort it out. I made sure Expedia knew what a great employee they had. When it comes down to it, a company only shows how good they are when something unplanned happens.
Amazon are always good. Not sure how much pressure the employees are put under though to get things right quickly. John Lewis got a sofabed delivery wrong- by a few weeks and then there was a slight tear underneath it. They were already knocking something off the price but when I reported the tear( which the delivery people had seen) they gave me it for less than half price. No quibbling.
I'm sure we all like and expect good service , but the real measure is how things are put right when they go wrong , the best will try hard to exceed the customers expectations which will create a positive image and encourage loyalty .
My first full time job was in the JLP , they teach good customer service , it's the cornerstone of their business and its the right way to treat people and IMO the only way . In my experiences if I receive bad service there is no second chance , I just avoid , there are only two companies who are on my blacklist ( Monarch and Comet ... now defunct anyway probably due to $#@7 service ) all others have been at least ok and acceptable and numerous have been excellent .
It was good to hear of your experience KM , and when you actually analyse it , what has it cost Homebase ?? The goods you bought were already bought in by them at a low enough cost to sell them 15 % off this weekend and so selling them to you for that price means no loss , you now feel that you have a bargain , you are impressed enough to even tell others and you will most likely go to them again for future purchases .
So in reality they have gained even more than you simply by being civil , helpful , responsive and fair and really what has it cost them ???? It's not difficult to do is it ?
We got 2 free nights at the Premier Inn at Warwick last summer. We had arrived at 11.30 pm having come off a ferry from France (we left The Vendee at 9am that morning and had been travelling all day). When we arrived at the Premier Inn the car park was full so we went to the overflow car park and carried what we could from the car (one of the kids was asleep and had to be carried). We were wakened at 5.40 the next morning with the news that my car had been broken into. As we walked back into the hotel an hour later the reception staff stopped me to let me know they had refunded our night's stay (including breakfast). They then let us keep our room as long as we needed, rearranging their rooms for the next night (Aviva messed me around big time in getting the car windows replaced) so that we could stay, despite them being full, and told us to ask for drinks, coffees, etc from the bar through the day FOC. The manager took it upon himself to try to source the windows we needed for the car from local suppliers (he found them when Autoglass couldn't/wouldn't) and the whole traumatic experience was made so much more bearable thanks to the staff at the Premier Inn. A photo and our full story are on TripAdvisor.
Well that is certainly good to hear Elaine. Well done to Premier Inn
Sorry to hear about your car Elaine :( Glad that you were well looked after by Premier Inn :tup
I am going back four years to when we had the ash cloud. We were caught in Alicante and Easy jet staff at the airport could not have been better, they had alot of people that they sorted hotels , food, and transport for. We had only booked our flight with them but we got eight days half board in Alicante made as good as it could be . The manager and staff got us out of a difficult time. Because of the way we were treated I am said to my wife we are not going to claim for a few bits Taxi fair etc, but a week later we had a letter from our insurance company saying if you were caught up in the ash cloud you can claim a maximum £250 each so Thank you the £500 was in our bank account a few days later, but we have stayed with LV ever since
WE were in Tunisia during the revolution and decided not to go home as all the other tourists did as we fely perfectly safe, however after 3 weeks the hotel was told to close by Vincci - not unexpected as we were the 2 guests in a 500 bed hotel. We eventually made it home after a lot of problems and on arrival, I phoned Travel Republic to explain that we had been forced to leave the hotel. They not only authorised an immediate refund of the rest of our hotel stay, but also noted that i had paid for 4 young people to join us for a couple of weeks a month later, so asked if i would like that cost refunded as well. I did and much appreciated the speed in which it was handled.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.