Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Unforunatley it does seem to get more expensive, something to do with the tour operators operating less flights charging you the tourist more for your holiday and still raking in the same profit. :x

And bless the Cypriots they think as there is less tourists they will charge you more so they make more profit as it has to last them all year. I have had this discussion many a time with my Cypriot friend whose pub has now closed as he kept putting the prices up and the hotel opposite is all inclusive, i tried to tell him just lower your prices a bit and people will tell each other, but he would,nt as they are all charging a fortune for drinks and food in the tourist areas

it is still cheaper if you live there and know where to go for the cheaper prices once you find them you dont go back to the holiday resorts except for a walk around and maybe a drink , but when you are on holiday you want to be in the main resort.
Anbron/Elizabeth morning...warm again for us all, cant always say that!! :D

I agree with your friends who live here, many forget that a cup of coffee in the harbour area of Pafos cost £1.20 cyp fifteen years ago when the pound sterling managed the dizzy heights of 67 cents, now you can buy the same coffee for the same amount, and now we are exchanging at 84cents to the UK £, this is of course only an example I could give you so many more, for instance a Meze was five to six pounds all those years ago now it cost around seven £s no rise at all, you can also still get a set menu for six to seven £s if you take the time to look..

Over the years I have lived here I have seen a big rise in new restaurants opening in our area they offer great food in the main and the service is top notch unfortunately they are not run by the locals and you pay a price for this, I have always preferred local tavernas myself and will continue to support them, but I can understand tourists need for the kind of food and service they get in the UK now, but you have to know this will not come as cheap, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Certainly Cyprus still is very reasonable to live, but unless you know where to eat and drink any tourist area will be more expensive of course...
I have compared the Package Holidays,we have been visiting the same hotel (this our 9th time ) and seen a 35% rise in the cost of the holiday,looking at the prices Jim has given I dont see a 35% rise in prices so are we are being ripped off by the tour companies to visit the best Island in the Med????.
We are going to Coral Bay in 3 weeks and there are 7 of us. From my previous brief visit to CB, it did not seem that it was full of Tavernas or the sort of places where locals would eat. We have a car ( large car) and presume we will have to go into the foothills. Any suggestions for recommended restaurants, tavernas etc and the rough prices. We are definitely not interested in the overtly touristy establishments.Many thanks for any help given.
We like the Peyia Tavern just up from Coral Bay in the hills. Full of Ex Pats but really good food at reasonable prices.

The food is all home cooked and it is run by a husband and wife team. No menu, they just give you a choice from about 6 main dishes.

Salad, dips, couscous etc. all comes with it so you're nearly full before your main arrives.

Small place though so it is advisable to book.

We also like Viklari (the Last Castle) for lunch overlooking Lara Bay in the hills. Absolutely fantastic views. This is only open from about 11 - 5.00pm for lunch. Food is simple barbecue with salad and potatoes for £5 a head but a really good experience.
We have been going to Cyprus since 1996, different areas as well. Cyprus has always been a little bit more expensive than other med holidays, but we didnt mind purely because there was not any riff raff and drunken behaviour.

Last year we went back to Pernera/Protaras and noticed each year going back, it is getting very touristy and Karaoke everywhere, and very tacky.Eating out the prices are near enough the same as the UK. This makes it expensive because the tourist rate is not good.

We gave it a miss this year as nothing else changes, just more and more hotels going up. I still love Cyprus, but switched to Egypt for now because it hasnt been spoilt, and it is so cheap compared to other destinations.
We were due to spend 2 weeks in Dom Rep, 5 star AI hotel in Jan but could not make it so we changed it to Cyprus in September. In addition to the fee to change it was an additional £300 for a 4 * AI. I do not mind because I have never been to Cyprus and I am really looking forward to it as it will be value for money once we are there. I have noticed myself when looking at next years holiday that it considerabley more to travel to Cyprus initially but the Balearics are coming up high too
Derwent there are still many places that are not touristy try Pissouri or Polis, Latchi...your just not trying.. :wink:
Too true Jim, i have mentioned this to hubby, i must confess never been to these places and would like to try them.

I love traditional and to meet the Cypriot people.
If you want value for money then try to stay away from the tourist traps like ayia napa, protaras, pafos and vist small villages in the interior of cyprus, these villages & small towns are cheaper and also you help there economy.
The cypriots in the tourist areas are getting greedy, remember that its ok to haggle in cyprus.
Don't try the haggaling bit in any taverna or restaurant...you will not get far, maybe to do the washing up..
LOL - nice one Jim.

Mike
Hi eurodude,

I'm a very nosy person by nature so can I ask where you got the idea that

it is ok to haggle in Cyprus?

I also have to add it certainly isn't advisable............

Helenxx
bluebabe, its ok to haggle in cyprus, i always haggle in the souvenir, clothes & shoe shops in the tourist areas, you can find tips on how to haggle on the internet.
Give it a try next time you think something is overpriced or you think you can get it cheaper, the shopkeepers want your money. its how you haggle that matters. Cyprus is getting too expensive & some of the shops & resturants in the tourist areas are ripping tourists off. :wink:
Sorry eorodude but I certainly won't be haggling for anything in Cyprus :)

The best way to get cheaper prices if you want them is to go outside of the

tourist areas :D

Helenxx
Hi folks,

Having just returned from 2 weeks in Pernera must confess thought that for the most part it was value for money. My good lady and I ate out 3 times a day and enjoyed a wee Kio or 3 and spent less than £700 (UK) in the fortnight.. OK we didn't do anything truly exciting except enjoy the food, the sun and the local atmosphere but still had a good time. Thomas Cook have some good deals for the Tsokkus apartments, Anastasia apartments and the Kouzalis beach for next year at least from Glasgow. We did think about it but are getting a better deal for Al Tinkum which once again I confess is in my country of preference. There is good value for holidays to Cyprus out there, and it is certainly worth a visit, we will be going back at some stage.

Alistair
We have been going to Cyprus for 8 years now and love the place. We have travelled all over and stayed different places. I book it myself with flights and accommodation and get a reasonable deal but we are finding it very expensive there now and I think this year will be our last and we will have to do a rethink. We have been going to Thailand in Jan/Feb and that is excellent value for money and in fact costs us less than our trip to Cyprus. Unfortunately the whole of europe has gone this way and people are now travelling further afield to get better value for their money. I will miss my yearly trip to Cyprus because I feel really at home when I get there but it has outpriced itself.
:fly
I have booked our family flights for July 2007 with Excel Airways
http://www.xl.com. ( staying in a villa with other family members)

For a return flight from Manchester to Larnaca for 14 nts,
the TOTAL cost after taxes added was :

Adult £301 and Child (2-12yrs) £283.
and it is a morning flight (10am)

Not a bad price considering it's the weekend the children break
up for the school holidays.

:D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.