Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi there :wave I did this trip a few years ago. I remember that it was a lot of travelling, the trip was 18 hours from leaving to returning to the hotel !!! very tiring but worth it to see Mount Etna. I would advise only doing this trip if you are in Malta for 2 or more weeks, it might spoil a 1 week holiday through tiredness!! Driving up to Etna was awesome seeing the Larva from various erruptions. If you do it let us know what you thought :gluck
Ok - Thanks for that !!
I really want to see Etna but 18 hours seems like an ordeal !
Think I will book a holiday to Sicily next year, probably a more relaxing way to do it !!
Hi Spoons,

Did this trip a few years ago. Yes there is a lot of travelling but have to say that it was well worth it. There are acouple of things I would warn you about if you decide to go.

Firstly make sure you take some travel sickness pills since even if you don't normally suffer, since the motion of the Katamaran is weird and if like us on the way back, the sea is rough, then you'll find out what I mean! Also sit at the back of the vessel since the motion is less noticeable.

Secondly we felt that the toilet facilities weren't very good at coach stops especially for the ladies who had to queue quite a while to visit the loo.

Other than this we had a great time. Would we do this trip again? - most definitely yes,

Trev
Haven't done the trip myself but someone told me that the air-conditioning on the katamaran is spectacularly fierce, so much so that the ladies will need a cardi! Maybe someone who's done the trip can say whether this is true or not?
Hi Linnyann,

We did the trip at the end of March and didn't notice the fierce air conditioning. Maybe it's only used during the hotter Summer time when you probably would feel cold compared to the outside temperatures!

Trev
Does anyone know how much it costs for the trip. I would love to see mt etna. thank you
Hi there :wave I forgot to mention on previous reply that when we did it we went to a town called Tarmina (may be spelt wrong :oops: ) that was well worth a visit. It has a huge ampitheatre with wonderful views. We have called back here a few times on cruises and still love it here.
Well worth booking. all details here...
http://www.virtuferries.com/
My partner and I did the sicily tour last august we enjoyed it but the travelling time to long and exhausting and the people having sea sickness on the katameran was awful ( Do not have a night with booze the night before) The 1hr visit to Mt Etna and taomina was to rushed and did not give you enough time to eat /drink, see the sights and go to the toilet thats all we tried to do at each visit. It does give you a taste of sicily so you would benefit if you booked a holiday there instead.

http://www.xploremalta.com
Hello spoons,

This is a trip that I fancy doing too! but at a more leisurly pace. I am thinking of catching the ferry over there and booking a night in a hotel. I really don't fancy being up at the crack of dawn and being sheep herded everwhere if you know what I mean. Just thought I'd mention an alternative way of doing the trip.
Have a nice holiday.
It does seem a long haul.
I plan on doing the trip in May but I,m a little concerned about the length of time as I am taking 2 young children.
Can anyone tell me the actuall time on the ferry and on the coach and also would it be quicker going to a closer destination on a ferry to cut off the coach travel time.
What is the milage on the coach roughly compared to the ferry.
Hi Cycleracer,

If I remember right it took about 1.5 hours on the catamaran to get to Sicily but because it was very stormy on the way back it took well over 2 hours! You are on the coach for most of the day and I reckon that you cover 200 to 300 miles, though there are frequent stops.

My son was 8 years old when we went but I would be a bit cautious about taking children that are much younger. Nevertheless we did have a good time and would certainly do it again, but I would also make sure I took travel sickness pills again!!!

By the way as I write this, 5 years ago exactly we were on the catamaran coming back from Sicily, since we were celebrating our Silver wedding Anniversary on the 26/03/00, and the journey took us past midnight. We were offered a complimentary drink but it was the last thing we wanted with the way the cat was pitching in the storm!!!! :yikes It's our Pearl Wedding Anniversary tomorrow and we wish we were celebrating it in Malta, :bawl

Trev
Hello Trev, well 30 years well done. The price of the trip to Sicily as of New year 2004/5 with Thomson Holidays was Ml 85.00 per person but if you look round you may well get it a lot cheaper.

Dave
Can you book the trip in Malta, and where does the Catamarran go from.
yes, from any travel agent - http://www.virtuferries.com/ are the company who run one (the only one ?) - where from ? I presume Valletta, but couldn't see it on the website. Can also book online at this website
Yes it does go from Valletta. You can book at most tour offices. some even give you a full day Gozo tour free if you book Sicily with them.
Long day but well worth it
Hi,

Did this trip a few years ago (four I think). Really enjoyed it and thought it good value for money (can't remember how much it cost). As said though, it was a LONG day. We were up at 4.30 am (!) or so for a bus at about 5/5.30 and didn't get back to the hotel until after 1am the next morning! Catamaran took about 90 min to Sicily, in perfect conditions, but about 3 hrs on the return journey, in very rough conditions. When I say rough, I mean rough! People screaming, staff running around with sick bags, bottles smashing in the duty free etc! Was told afterwards that the return journey at night is usually quite rough (the reports above seem to bear this out). However, two sea sickness tablets and you'll doze through it all.

There was a lot of travel during the day, but worth it. Mt Etna had been erupting for a few weeks before our visit, so the cable car was destroyed and there was smoke rising from (literally) under our feet. Beware the long queue for lunch at the restaurant though! Taormina was very nice, with plenty of time to look around. There was mean to be another stop too (can't remember where) but we had to skip it due to a major pile up on the motorway.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.