Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Whilst you are waiting for some recommendations, why not check out our report reports HERE

Kath HT Admin
Hello Hellie, I am never one one to put anybody of any place as we all like some places, and some people don't always like what others do, that said I would say that Malta is not the place to take your mum.
One of the things about Malta although there are no mountains some of the resorts can be hilly as in Sliema/Mellieha and also Valletta, then there are the busses some of them are as old as me and were mad in the days when they didn't cater for people with wheelchairs.
That said there are some of the best sites to see in the Med on Malta if you drive and hire a car (drive on the same side of the road to us) then you will not have problem getting around.
If you do go there I would say book at least a 4* hotel and have a look on the hotel review on H T.

Dave
Hi there, we took our mum to the Topaz hotel in St Pauls and it was wheelchair friendly enough. Getting out and about was a bit hard work, some pavements are ok and have ramps for wheelchairs etc. Hiring a car is your best bet. In Buggiba there is a shop where you can hire electric/motorised wheelchairs, I have seen some old dears have great fun with these :lol:
Hi Helen :wave

Although never wanting to put anybody of visiting Malta I am inclined to agree with Dave.
There are no mountains as such in Malta but certain areas and resorts can have some steep inclines and many of the pavements are not in good order although there have been many improvements in some areas to them over the last few years.

The public transport still has some very old and disabled unfriendly busses but there are also new buses that are more disabled friendly but you would have a very limited choice.

The resorts of Qawra & Bugibba are relatively flat and have had major improvements to the pavements and infrastructure over the last few years.

Unfortunately many of the hotels are still lacking in facilities when it comes to guests who are disabled so I would suggest you try to make a choice of hotels then phone / email them and confirm that they have good disabled access and facilities.

Graham
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been really useful.

I don't think we will go as I don't drive so I think we would find it difficult getting around! Oh well off to try and find somewhere else now!

Thanks again, Helen :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.