Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
People living and on holiday in Cyprus are being asked to keep power usage to a minimum (stay in the pool/sea rather than having the Aircon running at full blast etc).

our hearts go out for those caught up in this tragic mess !

Steve
Power outages are now 2 cuts per day with the first being 2 and a half hours and the second for 45 minutes.

Tourist areas are not affected by the power cuts and most hotels have their own generators.

However, if you are taking a holiday and have booked or plan to stay in a private villa that is not within the designated tourist areas it may be wise to contact your supplier/owner to find out what time the power outages are taking place or what zone you are in so you can make plans.

Each district of Cyprus has it's own zones. We are in number 9 for Limassol and our power goes off between 11.30am to 12 midday (2 and a half hours) and then again between 5pm to 5.30pm for 45 minutes. Currently, the cuts are only during the week so none at the weekend.

Updates reckon it will take between 6 - 12 months to fix Vasilikos power station fully but for the moment we are trying to conserve power and it's recommended to try to avoid using the A/C where possible. It seems like all of Cyprus is buying floor fans or free standing fans at the moment!

I've been keeping updates on one particular thread on my personal blog page here: http://cypruslifeinpictures.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/cyprus-explosion-latest-updates/

13 people were killed in the blast and over 60 injured. Nightly vigils and protests are still taking place outside the Presidential Palace and at Limassol Town Hall. Cyprus is very angry at how this happened and to find out it was sitting on a potential timebomb for 3yrs. Many of the government officials have resigned but as yet - not President Christofios.

The office I work in is being continuously disrupted with lost internet connections during areas close to us being switched on and off and then 2 power cuts each day. I work for an online marketing company so it's all a bit of a nightmare for our Support department just now....

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Many thanks for the update Shell. Sounds awful for you all, here's hoping it's sorted sooner.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.