Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I'm repeating some things here, but these are some of the things we've done.

We prefer the Paphos area as it has more history to it. We hired a car for 3 days the first time we went and there was more than enough to see. 5 days might have been better.

The Kykko Monastery on Mount Olympus is worth seeing and the Troodos Mountains. There is also the Tomb of the Kings, Curium, the Roman mosaics in Paphos itself, Aphrodite's Bath, Aphrodite's Rock, Nicosia, little villages such as Polis and Latchi.

There are also 2/3 day cruises to Egypt and sometimes Israel. There is a topic on this at the top of the forum as well as one on car hire.

luci :wave
We are trying to find a place to stay for a week in Cyprus next month. We visited the North last year and loved it, now we want to look at the South.
What we have read so far is disapointing, Paphos full of Estate Agents and (uninspiring) restuarants!
Can you recommend a place to stay that is fairly easy to get to from either Paphos or Larnaca airports where can get some good local Cypriot food and be a good base for exploring the island?

Many thanks
Cyprus has more than its fair share of old churches and monasteries to visit [Kykkos being the most famous] these can usual be combined with a trip round the Trodos Mountains...Ladies PLEASE ware long trousers or mid to long skirt[or wrap] and a long sleeved blouse when visiting religious buildings]

A similar dress code is also applicable to men. When we were there in 2008 they refused admittance to men wearing shorts. Of course in the market square there are stall selling/hiring shirts for the ladies. Well worth the visit.

fwh
Seagull - i will say try Pissouri is a small village but great - I have and am staying in a villa in this village, i can give you an web address for the villas they have on offer if you pm me.

Pissours is great plenty of great tavernas and a bar and its a great night lifte - no clubs

put in Pissouri in the search bit and you will get loads of info

louise
I couldn't agree more re Pissouri.
When we go over we normally have a week in Pissouri, staying at the Rantzo Appartments or Kapsalia Villas, both owned by the same family and a week in Larnaca.

For a host of information on Pissouri go to exclusively-cyprus
Visit Cyprus.com webiste has quite a few ideas about things to do, places to visit.
(this is the site run by the Cyprus Tourism Organisation)
Don't forget that many areas/villages have special festivals on at all different times of year for different things. They tend not to be classed as a tourist excursion but you can make your own way and have a fantastic time

example - The Strawberry Festival in Dherynia is held in May every 2 years to celebrate the harvest (last one was 2010 so won't happen again until 2012). It might sound a little odd but it was a massive event with something in the region of 10000+ people through the doors, lots of entertainment from popular Greek and Cypriot stars, local dancers and speakers, children singing, stalls giving free samples of strawberrys, raffles and lots of food and drink to buy... we were astounded by the size of it all.

If you ask about and do some research you will find events at different times of the year in different areas !

If you search on google/you tube for "strawberry festival Dherynia" you will find some video snippets I put on.
Does anyone have any tips on places to visit for a couple on there first holiday together they are 20yrs old. They are not party animals, but like a drink and a nice meal. They like water and a little sport, and quiet beaches. They will be staying at the avanti village in Paphos. All ideas wellcome. :)
hockey6

your post merged to the what to do and see thread

yasus
wizard
How far i it from coral bay to nicosia (miles and time) please. I've heard if you go to Nicosia in a hire car, you are not allowed to cross over to the turkish side in it. Is this true?
the problem with the hire car is insurance... ask your hire company if they can supply cover in the north

By road the aproxamate distance [Pafos town centre to lefkosia town centre ] is 152 km [ 95 miles]

yasus

wizard
Have just returned from Pavlo Napa hotel at Nissi Beach ( review posted) - Great but very lazy holiday this time. Took the Red Bus trip to Famagusta and can recommend it - only 26 Euros each. Ensure you book for the top deck.

fwh
Paphos Harbour and Castle,Courion/Kolossi castle,Larnaka Salt lake,Cedar Valley are some of the beautiful places to visit in southern cyprus thanks alot.....

Source:Exploretrip.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.