EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I am afraid you have to apply to be an alian after three months, then usually every five years for another application to stay again, also you will have to meet the immigration criteria for you to stay here, you either have work or retired, if so you must have independent financial support, and you will need private medical insurance if you are retired and under retirement age, once you or your partner if you have one reaches retirement age you will come into the reciprocal health cover here.

All EU countries have there own set of immigration laws, Cyprus has it's own, also remember you will be off the UK NHS system if you stay longer than six months, is it worth the hassle of having to do this, you bet it is..
Hi borgmaster,

There is a lot of confusion concerning the free movement and residence of nationals of the EU member states & their families. You can read a summary of the EU Directive on the subject at: http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l33152.htm

Here's a snippet from it:

• Right to move and right of residence for up to three months

All Union citizens have the right to enter another Member State by virtue of having an identity card or valid passport. Under no circumstances can an entry or exit visa be required. Where the citizens concerned do not have travel documents, the host Member State must afford them every facility in obtaining the requisite documents or having them sent.

Family members who do not have the nationality of a Member State enjoy the same rights as the citizen who they have accompanied. They may be subject to a short-stay visa requirement under Regulation (EC) No 539/2001. Residence permits will be deemed equivalent to short-stay visas.

For stays of less than three months, the only requirement on Union citizens is that they possess a valid identity document or passport. The host Member State may require the persons concerned to register their presence in the country within a reasonable and non-discriminatory period of time.

Right of residence for more than six months

The right of residence for more than six months remains subject to certain conditions. Applicants must:

• either be engaged in economic activity (on an employed or self-employed basis);
      or have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay. The Member States may not specify a minimum amount which they deem sufficient, but they must take account of personal circumstances;
      or be following vocational training as a student;
      or be a family member of a Union citizen who falls into one of the above categories.

Residence permits are abolished for Union citizens. However, Member States may require them to register with the competent authorities within a period of not less than three months as from the date of arrival. Proof of registration will be issued immediately on presentation...

Regards,

Nigel (aka EPHMH)
I assume that there is the letter of the law and the spirit. As many people do not I think apply for residency after 3 months. Do the authorities actually chase up people who are staying longer than 3 months or is a blind eye turned to such people?
Yes you could try and get away with it, but just one contact with the law, an accidents or just a crime against you could lead you to a jail and a plane back home, I keep this simple Nigel gives you the letter of the law, either way it is just not worth trying to avoid going through this procedure, if you intend to stay here..
Hi borgmaster,

If you choose to break the law then you must be prepared to suffer the consequences of your action.

Cheers,

Nigel (aka EPHMH)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.