EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I would strongly advise you to go to an advocate who will keep you right. I am sure that some of the members can recommend a good one.
You will need to register with the local panchyat (or however its spelt) me and the mrs had to get residency certificates for our wedding out there and to be honest it was just a case of knowing the right people and greasing the right palms.

To be honest apart from getting married and getting your deeds i am not aware of any other benefits (to be fair i havent really looked into it apart from when we got married) the main thing to get is the ration book iirc as that will allow you to buy motorbikes etc
I don't think you can apply for residency with only a 6 month visa, as you only need to register if you're in the country for more than 182 days anyway (6 months). You register with your local police station if they stay in India will be above this figure, noramlly a straight forward proceedure, you will be given a residency permit which is required to be with you when you leave the country - although they've only looked at mine once on Exit..

In theory the pass allows you to get things at local rates - eg some airlines (Jet Airways etc have lower fares for locals), and you should be able to get in to Tourists places for local prices also (but not tried)...

It doesn't entitle you to any visa, it's just a requirement if you have an extended visa. The purpose is that the authorities can keep a track on you while you're in the country. Also prevent you from leaving if required.

Having one enables you to buy property, have vehicals in your own name, start a company etc (on right visa) etc.. (OR AT LEAST SHOULD - if you can get through the red tape and back handers)
Hi Rob

Me and the Mrs got residency certs on 6 month visas.
Can anybody clear this matter up, we have a one year visa and are coming over to candolim on the 28th September with the intention of staying for seven to eight months to get our residency and have our property deeds signed over to us,but the info coming through is you cannot stay in india for over the six months required to collect your residency therefore we would not be able to have our deeds signed over to us. Do we need to see a solicitor and are we in the situation of losing our properties. Urgently awaiting your help and replies
hi Mike
firstly you have to do your 182 days in a financial year ie April to April so bear that in mind you are within those dates if you go in September of course.
If you have a one year visa you can stay as long as you like whilst that is valid, but the problem you may have is that you cannot get your deeds or infact buy property on a tourist visa , if you need more help pm me and i will send you more info
Chilly
Hi, on the subject of 12mth visa our friend gets one and she has to leave goa for 24hrs. at 6mths, she goes to sri lanka for a week. paul.
Here in Goa at the moment - we have been advised to stay with our lease agreement and wait untill next year or so to try to obtain our residency permit and then complete the 182 day rule etc, problem is that you need an x visa (which london! will not now give out) for a minimum of 12months, so that when you arrive in Goa and you register with the police you receive your permit that is proof of your intension to reside in India long term - this permit you can not get on a tourist visa and the government is currently enforcing this rule even to the extent that you cannot now purchase a scooter (new or secondhand) without a permit. Hopefully the rules for foreigners to purchase the freehold of their property will be examined and set out more clearly and not left up to different interpretations as it currently is - which is causing all the current problems in Goa. Brian
Having just got back from the London Embassy, can confirm that we were issued a 12 month extended visa (tourist) on presentation of our Property agreement.
Business Visa was a no no at this present time (for what ever reason).

And a little tip for any one contemplating going to the Embassy......................DON'T, or at least get there very early!! 500 people in a room 20' x 20' just isn't healthy. :shock:

Regds

Boyd
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.