Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Cant ICS provide it for you ?

Kath HT Admin
I am not a travel expert but know that City and Guilds is a recognised qualification and has been for many years, I have a number of City and Guilds qualifications dating back more than 25 years and they have helped me progress to a senior management position.
Thanks for all your help the problem seems to be that I need to have a travel agency or airline etc to agree that this will help me get a job.I know that this is stupid but its the only way I will get help with funding but also does anyone know any other online or home learnig course on travel and tourism I could try.I dont work as I have three small children but would like to go back to work in something travel related
I tend to look for experience rather than qualifications when recruiting...I know this may not help in your case but do feel that when applying for jobs if you have a qualification in the field then you are at an advantage to those that do not.
sadly i dont have any experience but i love travel history and the world and do lots of research i organize all my friends and familys holidays flight and trips but sadly i have no experience in an employment sence thats why i want to do a course I just cant get enough of the whole thing
What you have just said is experience...its how you put it in application forms thats important....get the interview first then sell yourself,,,trust me
Do you work in the industry blue-moon or are you just a fan like me?
No just enjoy travel and have years of experience in interviews and recruitment so know what to look for when applying for employment
Have you tried contacting any of the large Tour Operators ? I know that many employ without qualifications, especially if your knowledge and customer service skills are strong.

Also have you considered the ABTAC Primary course, which is classed as one years travel experience by many tour ops ?

Kath x
The other area to consider is voluntary employment....remember it all counts as experience
I contacted all the major travel agents and didnt get very far.I dont think they wanted to commit to anything .The other problem I encountered was there wasnt many home learning courses,which had a relevent qualification.I contacted ABTAC but never recived any thing back.My children are young and I want to send time at home with them before I return to work Which is my major down fall as I now have less than 5 years full time work history.Its a shame as I am so keen and do have plenty of customer service experience plus I live in a very isolated part of the country so travel jobs are scarce and few and far between so qualifications are vital but also as I am interested in the whole travel thing I would like to do the course for my own benifit.
You learn something new every day!!!
Ok...so concentrate on positives rather than negatives...employment interviews and applications are about selling yourself, do not offer your inexperiences on a plate...theres ways and means of applying for jobs
Blue-moon thank you for all your help you are giving me the confidence to go forward.Maybe one day I can help you book all your travel arangements(ha ha ha)
Im confused, are you ready to start work now, or are you still wanting to stay at home with your little ones ?

I understand you wanting to do something for your benefit and admire you for that. However, do you need a travel agent to say they will employ you with that qualification.so uou can get the funding ?

I know ICS do the ABTAC course, which is cheaper than the City & Guilds, so it may be easier for you to get funding for this.

Blue-Moon is correct re selling yourself, and there is an art to filling in application forms :wink
Kath x
absolutely...its about what you say......do not highlight negatives on application forms
I dont want to return to work just yet but if I could get a job I would go for it.With regards to funding I need to get something I can print of to show evidence that the course can supply a job in the industry.It is so stupid but if it gives me a little finacial help I am quite happy.
Is the abtac course the ics course on travel insurance ? as the travel insurance is part of the city and guilds.
I will Take all the help I can get
The ABTAC Certificate is an NVQ equivalent, have a read http://www.ttctraining.co.uk/abtac.htm#which

This also includes Insurance. I know from personal experience it is classed as one years experience :wink
Kath x
What I realy need is for someone who works in a travel agents to send me an email saying that the city and guilds is a recognized qualification.
I have tried your link Kath but I keep getting my email returned
Strange, working for me. Wonder if anyone else can see it.

If ICS are providing the course, they should know if its recognised by tour operators.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep trying all the big tour operators through their Head Offices.

Good luck

Kath x

PS Is this the email address you are trying ttccustomersupport@ntp.co.uk

They also have a telephone number which is 01483 727321
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.