Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi, I'm a little confused... firstly, the company... do you mean Thomson?

secondly...please clarify... you said "detailed it on their booking reference sheet"... in my experience, this sheet is the "invoice" containing all details of EVERYTHING that you've booked and will be expected to pay for....

If I'm reading correctly, you DID pay for the overnight stay? - if YES then you have a paid-up contract which has been reneged upon and you will be eligible for a refund....and also a refund for any other expenses incurred (over and above the cost of the overnight that you paid for) and possibly a consideration for "inconvenience"

ATB,J.
Can you just clarify:-

I booked a cruise last September
- due you mean September 2009? and have you already had the holiday?

We paid in full for the cruise as to the Thompson invoice and itinerary ( overnight stay in hotel )
If you have paid for the overnight stay at the end of the cruise then you should certainly receive it.

Could anyone offer advice, do Thompson Travel have no responsibility to the customer to put right the holiday they agreed was there error for not booking the correct itinerary. ( Flights home also )

If you have yet to travel and have paid for the extra night stay then I would say most certainly they have a responsibility to correct things.

If you have yet to travel but not paid for the extra night, it is possibly a honest mistake by the travel agent and I would say you would have to pay for it but perhaps see if a discount could be offered given the error.

What is wrong with the flight home?

If you have already travelled - what happened on that last night. Did you have to book something yourself?

If this is indeed was booked a year ago and you have have already travelled and the mistake was picked up shortly after you booked then I don't think you will get any where with it.

PS - assume you mean Thomson Travel, part of TUI?
Sorry for the confusion, I will clarify.

Thomson is the correct travel company ( spelling error through haste )

We booked the holiday last September 2009

The Thomson Booking detail sheet is also the invoice, itemising the holiday itinerary from Arriving in Hong Kong to flying back to Newcastle. The overnight stay and flight details are itemised along with the total cost of the holiday.

Thomson informed me that they couldn't transfer the flight tickets from 22/11/10 to 23/11/10, which was the original departure date on the Thomson invoice
In my opinion this is down to Thomson to sort out. You have an invoice which details what you have booked. You say that you are now being told that the arrangements detailed on your invoice cannot be supplied. Failure on their part to do so - particularly at this late date - I am assuming you have still to travel - puts them in breach of contract.

I have posted this from elsewhere on HT and would strongly urge you to contact them ASAP.

Following the retirement of Ros Fernihough we have chosen a new firm of solicitors to assist HT members and guests.
Ros pointed us towards this firm and we have had lengthy and indepth discussions to ensure they can provide the best services for HT members and guests.

We therefore recommend you contact Simpson Millar Solicitors on 0808 145 1353 or visit their site for all their details:
http://www.on-holiday-claims.co.uk/

We look forward to working alongside Simpson Millar to bring you, the holiday-maker, the best possible legal team to deal with any holiday issues.

It is always sensible to check the tickets when they arrive just in case there is a mistake but the fact you have not picked up on it before now is not an excuse or a get out for them if you have not.

fwh
Fwh is absolutely correct as far as I can see from the info so far... the only "cofounding factor" that I can forsee is that Thomson will try and re-direct blame to Thomson Worldwide which deals with trips to far east etc.... shouldn't be a major problem, though as all owned bu Tui who have overall responsibility...

Good luck, let us know how you get on?

ATB,J.
Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate the help you have given.

Thomson Shop Manager rang today to inform me that she had taken legal advise from the company solicitors, who confirmed, because we did not notice the error on the Royal Caribbean itinerary sheet, Thomson Travel could not be held responsible for failing to book the holiday as requested by us the customer.

I will let everyone know what the outcome is before we set off on our Ill faited holiday.

Ritchie01
Well I certainly wouldnt take any notice of that until you have taken your own legal advice as per Fwh's post above . good luck.
Was the overnight hotel booked separately to the cruise or was it an extra that was added on via Royal Caribbean?
If it was the former then it wouldn't be on the RC itinerary - would it?
who confirmed, because we did not notice the error on the Royal Caribbean itinerary sheet, Thomson Travel could not be held responsible for failing to book the holiday as requested by us the customer.

I think whoever said that was having a senior moment. If I went to buy a Ford Focus and the paperwork and the price I paid was for that, then if the dealer then tried to give me a Fiesta instead - because someone had made a mistake after I had placed my order and I had not picked up on it, then they would have serious problems. Your case, in my opinion, is exactly the same. What would they say if the ship decided to cruise the Baltic instead of the Caribbean? The captain would not have his job by saying that someone had put the wrong destination on his orders.

Yes we should check our paperwork for errors - but by the same token so should they.

I have already advised you call Simpson Millar. You will not have to pay anything for the initial advice.

fwh
Sunaddict has spotted the bit I was going to query!

But just for clarity, was the extra night an option in the RC brochure that they would arrange if you wanted it? In fact, were the flights all part of the RC deal or were they extras as well??
Pre cruise stay over in Hong Kong and Post Cruise Stay Over in Singapore is (as we thought) booked by Royal Caribbean, through Thomson. This was part of a full package holiday with additional stays at the beginning and end of our cruise.

Thomson have admitted they failed to book the post cruise in Singapore, but because we did not pick up the error on the Royal Caribbean advice sheet, they inform us that we are responsible to highlight the error to them, even though the itinerary in full showing pre and post cruise was clearly documented on the Thomson invoice we assumed the itinerary and cost of the holiday was correct.

I have taken FWHs advice and taken legal advice today, I'm waiting for their reply

Ritchie01
Has both documents been wrong and you'd failed to spot it till now they might have a slim chance of getting out of sorting the problem out. But since their invoice does show what you booked and you did make sure it did then you ought to be on strong ground.

Have you already paid? And if so, have they tried to refund the money for the bit they forgot to arrange??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.