Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
delhi belly
128 Posts
Will do Jane. It was another HTer that recommended them, swears by them and never had a dodgy tummy since using them, which is brill, will let you know how things go.
Yes getting closer :D only 24 sleeps :pele How many for you now? will be getting closer as well.
57 sleeps! its getting closer :yikes
ACIDOPHILUS
these tablets from holland"barrett are really good
my o/h always had a few off days every time,but this
time after taking them he was fine[try buying them when
they are half price],also they must be kept in a fridge when
opened.
ann
Yes aarond thats the ones. I phoned Holland & Barratt but they are back to the correct price £14.39 for the big bottle. I went to a health food shop near where I live and it was £10.99 for 120, but they had a deal on buy one get one free :D so it worked out quite well.
this morning in post from holland/ barratt
Acidophillus tablets half price by phone or
post only not available on the web,
blueberry and strawberry 3:99 per 100 1:99
post /packing sorry my key board is playing up
reason for no pound sign.just ordered 400
ann
hotxbun
can you post the name of the tablets the gp from sheffield recommended
please? my husband had a bad case of delhi belly that lasted about 4 days
we got the eldoper from the chemist but i would like to know what you
took just in case.found some nutrilon-b plus in our case that the chemist sold us anyone know what they're for?we cant remember
thanks
lardyhead
We have just returned home and the first time in 5 years one of us was ill. There appears to be a particularly nasty bug going round this year that causes severe cramps in the stomach and back (kidney area) together with sickness and delhi belly. At least 5 people I met had suffered this year and never suffered before.

The chemist in Candolim recommended Norflex 400 antibiotics to take for 5 days (must take the course) and anti cramp tablets that were only needed for I day, Cost of treatment less than 100 rupees

It would have been nice not to suffer, but like all holidays,eventually it is your turn. Once in 5 years,between us both isn't bad odds particuarly in a third world country
lardyhead,
sorry for the delay in replying. The tablets for the food poisoning were 'CIPRODEX 500' take one twice a day, don't worry they still work if taken in conjunction with Kingfisher.
I also took 'VOMISTOP' tablets which were very good to stop you feeling sick.
hope you don't need them
Paul
paul
thanks a lot thats a great help -two weeks today and we'll be on the plane
cant wait!
sue
Lardyhead,
Nutrilon B plus are Probiotics (good bacteria), they are handy to take for about 1 week before you arrive in Goa and then for the whole of your time here. (one a day)
Also available here in Goa and better than Nutrilon B Plus are tablets called ViBact - they are Pre & Probiotic. I was prescribed these recently by my Dr for a viral infection. You can take them long term.

GFF xx
Hi GFF

Where do you buy the ViBact tablets how much are they?

Thanks
AJ
and the first time in 5 years one of us was ill. There appears to be a particularly nasty bug going round this year that causes severe cramps in the stomach and back (kidney area) together with sickness and delhi belly. At least 5 people I met had suffered this year and never suffered before.

We are currently in Benaulim, two of us have had this within past few days. One has now recovered after taking Econorm. The other one is still suffering and has never had trouble before, so yes looks like there is something going around here at the moment. She's just got more types of medication from the chemist in Benaulim.

Geoff
Hi ameliajane,

Vibact are available at chemists in the Calangute / Baga area, I bought the first lot at the pharmacy in Dr Tito's clinic and the second lot from Johnny's. Can't remember how much they cost though sorry.

GFF xx
Thanks for that GFF, I'll definetly buy some (daughter always getting viral infections).

At the moment me & o/h always take Acidophilus plus £5.99 for 90 from Health Rack. I'll bet ViBact will be cheaper.

Thanks
AJ
Hi AJ,

just done some digging about in a drawer and found the ViBact, it says on the pack that 10 caps RP not to exceep Rs65.96

Ingredients are:

Streptococcus faecalis T-110 JPC (30 million)
Clostridium butyricum TO-A (2 million)
Bacillus mesentericus TO-A JPC (1 million)
Lactic Acid Bacillus (50 million)

Hope this is useful, GFF xx
Further to my post above, the chemist in Benaulim has recommended Cyclopam and Eldoper. They seem to be working !!

Geoff
Can you buy Acidophilus tablets at the chemist in Goa or even the ones that GFF mentions seems fine, the Vibact.
For stomach cramps (Mrs Jock had F.P. for the first time in Goa this year (has had it twice in Glasgow and once in France) ) and she was given Nicispas, Nimesulide and Dicylomine Hydrochloride tablets (25 rupees for 10) he says reading off the packet they seemed to work and for sickness Vomistop (great name) Domperidone Tablets (again 25 rupees for 10)
"There appears to be a particularly nasty bug going round this year that causes severe cramps in the stomach and back (kidney area) together with sickness and delhi belly."

Yeah, this is what I had.... the horrors!! Spoke to a few people who had been to Goa many times and got it this year, they couldn't believe the severity.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.