Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
strange you should say that about the mozzies.we went in july and it was :roll: the first time that ive been bit/stung it wo't put me off going again though i thought it was great.the island that is not the bite :wink:
Each to their own i guess but i love Rhodes and have been returning for many years. Yes it's commercial, because it's such a popular tourist destination. You can find quiet, traditional villages though if you head off the beaten track a little.

I don't think Lindos 'diguises' tourist shops at all - i think they're quite obvious. Yes, they're built into traditional houses but that's because of the preservation order on the village. The bars and restaurants are built into these old houses too but it's no disguise, these things are there because of demand.

Anyway i could carry on about the many excellent and quieter beaches, etc but if it's not for you i'm not going to lecture you - we're all entitled to our opinions :D
If you were looking for sandy beaches you should have travelled further afield to Tsambika Beach for example which is a large sandy bay with only a few beach tavernas. No shops, just beach and sunbeds.

If you only stayed in the Lindos area you would have missed out on what the rest of Rhodes can offer!!
If you were looking for sandy beaches you should have travelled further afield to Tsambika Beach for example which is a large sandy bay with only a few beach tavernas. No shops, just beach and sunbeds.

If you only stayed in the Lindos area you would have missed out on what the rest of Rhodes can offer!!

We had a Suzuki Jimny 4x4 and I do not think there was a bit of land on Rhodes that those tyres did not touch!!!

We drove EVERYWHERE!! Hence the reason that I feel confident to say what we saw....the land is very barren and even quarry like...even Tsambika beach is not a particularly nice beach when you compare other places within Europe.

I have not come on here to knock your holidays..as you say each to their own but I think it is nice for everyone to understand that it may not be as nice as some people think.

Marcuschap...if you like a place then it is very nice that you can return. I do think though that you may be mising out on some far prettier places.
My hubbie and I like to travel around to different places so we are glad that we have seen Rhodes but will not be returning.
I have travelled to many places but always return to Rhodes.There are some wonderful small bays with sandy beaches to be found on the Island. Got to agree with Marcus on this one.Roll on next wednesday when I go back yet again.
Same here, I'm sad you didn't like it but in a way am glad coz if everyone loved it it would get far too crowded :wink:

I'm going back on Wednesday and the days really aren't going by fast enough.....
I understand what you're saying but i'm not missing out at all. I return to Rhodes every year but that doesn't mean i've not seen other places. In the last couple of years i've also been to the Seychelles, Mauritius and Dubai :D
Just over 2 weeks til my next visit - enjoy your trip Anne!
Thanks Marcus, hope you enjoy your next one too
I am with you. I don't think its that nice and I have visited 23 Greek Islands. Its too big and spread out and tatty in places. Pefkos is nice and of course Rhodes town, but the beaches are ok at best and the west coast is pretty nasty unless you are a windsurfer. The main road is horrible. You can keep it for me!
Been to Rhodes twice now (hired a car)and although its a lovely Island in parts we personally thought Cyprus ,Halkidiki and Kefalonia knocks the spots of it.

Each to their own i guess..
Well I haven't been to Rhodes for years, but took about four holidays there in the 1980's. I'd imagine there's been some huge changes since then, and I doubt I'd recognise the place.

But the infrastructure must be the same, and I never thought it was a particularly pretty island. The beaches (including Greece in general) are usually shingle, and Rhodes isn't as green or picturesque as some of the other islands: Kefalonia for example.

I found though that what Rhodes lacked in beaches and scenery, it made up with its charm. Rhodes Town with its castle was lovely back then...........and Lindos sounds just like it was then too. with the tourist shops dotted up the hill. Incidentally, I doubt many holidaymakers would be interested in browsing around a hardware shop, would they?

I thought the atmosphere was what made Rhodes special.

:wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.