Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
i have just had a taster of this at Malaga airport. As it as only just started and bearing the size of Malaga there is a few teething problems but i think once its sorted it should be good. They meet you at the plane and then wheel you through customs, then to you luggage and then outside tou your taxi, hire car, or coach. When i was coming back i got out of the taxi and ther is like an imformation board with a button on which you press and ask for assistance but i got no answer but when you go inside of the airport there is an information desk were you go to and ask them for assistance. A person came with a wheelchair within minutes and pushed me to the check in desk, then through customs and then down to the boarding gate. A different person then takes you to the plane which on this occasion was by a very new Ambu-lift and helps you onto the plane, yes a few problems to start with but will be a very good and valuble service once it is up and running properly
That's good to hear. Although I have to admit we were given this service last year at Manchester on arrival home.

Kath x
We used assistance at Malaga airport a couple of years ago. On arrival you could either get a wheelchair from the plane door right through or, if you were able to walk a short distance, get a golf buggy from the end of the airbridge through to the carousel.

luci :wave
manchester as always been ok but before at Malaga they would pick you up in a buggy then drop you off at the lift to go and get your bags were now they take you to reclaim your bags and then outside to your transport :) :) :) :)
Has anyone used assistance at Palma airport since the new regulations were brought in. My wife has limited mobility and we are going to Palma again next month.

We are hoping for better results than last year. We travelled in June last year just before the new regulations came into being. We flew with BMI and beforehand I phoned their assistance helpline and all seemed to be well. They gave us seats together and extra luggage allowance at no extra cost. It was fine at our local airport as we were pre boarded and shown to our seats. I said at that point to the cabin crew that we had requested assistance at Palma and they said that was fine and to wait until last when the plane landed. So that is what we did. So as we left the plane I again asked about the assistance and the cabin crew said juast to go on to the bus as usual and that we would be met at the terminal. By now all the seats on the bus had gone and we had to stand while the bus was swinging about (my wife is not too stable in normal circumstances). Worse was to come. We were dropped at a door which led into a small hall with a large staircase in front of us and no one waiting. I went up the stairs hoping that there would be someone waiting at the top. Nothing. Eventually my wife managed to struggle upstairs and I tried to get some help. Everyone I tried to speak to either said they couldn't help or pled ignorance. We had no choice but to try and walk to the luggage reclaim. Because my wife was in such distress and so slow and had to keep stopping this took us all of two and half hours to get to luggage reclaim. We got there to find our luggage had gone and the BMI desk was closed. It was actually another rep who showed us where the lost luggage was and fortunately our cases were there. Our prebooked taxi had gone and we had to wait an hour for another one.

On return to the airport we arrived at check in and told the rep on duty that we needed assistance. She said to wait until everyone was checked in and she would sort it. We had to wait for almost two hours while everyone else checked in. We were then allowed to check in to find we had the last two seats on the plane - not together but one at the front and one at the back. We did get a wheelchair to the departure gate but again as the plane was now boarding we had to stand on the bus again.I did complain to BMI when we got back but all I got was a load of excuses about how they had done their duty which was limited to the plane and they could not be responsible for the Spanish airport which was only a courtesy thing anyway.

Sorry, for the long ramble but we are hoping that the new regulations will have some effect and we do not have the same nightmare as last year. We are booked with Flyglobespan for the first time and have requested assistance. Does anyone know what they are like for assistance? I have also found this site: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pagename=Home&Language=EN_GB
and it looks as if you can request assistance here too. Again has anyone done this? Will I get double assistance if I do this as well?
It would be better than none at all. Thanks for your patience in reading this but we really don't want to have the same again happen.
i can only comment on malaga airport (see above) but i think it is now the airports responsiblity to got you on and off the plane. I got to malaga on the first week it came into place and it had a few teething problems but have been back since and now it is really good. when you actually get to Palma someone should either come with a wheelchair and wheel you up the airbride, or if there are steps and ambu-lift should come for you, and then on to pick your luggage up and then to a taxi. When you are coming back there should be a wheelchair/assistance desk at Palma(should be just inside the door in Yellow and as a large sign in Yellow with a wheelchair symbol on, so you can clearly see it) were you just inform them that you need wheelchair assistance and someone should come and take you down to the departure gate and then on to the plane,
Suspect it will still be as difficult as ever though with a "hidden" disability - to date the best cutomer servie I have had with any transport company since my acquired brain injury has been with Virgin Trains!! For everyone else, because I "look" Ok and don't use a mobility aid - I therefore MUST be!!! :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.