America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I would go with Universal...but can you go to Orlando and not see at least some of Disney? I'm not sure.

The two Universal parks are great. Universal Studios has a new coaster which will be up and running soon, plus the likes of the Mummy (superb, don't miss it), Shrek 4-D, the new Simpsons ride, Men in Black and a number of old faves such as Terminator 3D, Twister, Jaws, Jimmy Neutron, ET and plenty more. I'm not sure exactly how intense the new ride will be, but that aside, I don't think any of your party will have an issue.

Islands of Adventure has a few more intense coasters such as the Hulk and Duelling Dragons. In saying that, if you are used to any of the major rides at Alton Towers then these really are no worse than that. Also at IOA there is Spiderman, which despite being nearly 10 years old is still the best ride in Orlando in my opinion. There is more of an emphasis on water themed rides at IOA, my favourite being Jurassic Park, but Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls and Popeye are great also, and you will get very very wet (especially on Popeye). There is plenty of other attractions to keep you going, personally I believe your 16 year old will enjoy this park the best.

With careful planning (it can be a military type operation in Orlando) both parks can be done in one long day. Whether you will be up for that I do not know, but it is doable. If not, just spread across 2 days and enjoy at leisure.

As for Disney. Skip Magic Kingdom which is more for younger kids than adults (I would be shot for saying miss Magic Kingdom out on a certain other Disney forum!!!). Also skip Animal Kingdom. Great park, more like a zoo with rides and Expedition Everest is the best Disney ride (albeit short) but it's not the best laid out park and you can get clogged down with tourists, especially at peak season. The Kilimanjaro Safari ride is very good also, as long as you haven't been on a real safari which then means it is a let down.
If you have the time and more importantly the energy I would find time for Epcot and MGM Studios. MGM is a smallish park with some great rides (Tower of Terror/Rock n Roller Coaster etc) and also Fantasmic in the evenings which has to be seen to be believed. Whilst Epcot has now turned into the park for major rides in Disney. Try Test Track, Soarin and Mission Space and then fit in everything else around it, including a walk around the lovely World Showcase area. Utilse the Fastpass system and you will be fine. Just make sure you get to the parks early.

I feel I am doing a total disservice to Disney but if time is short you have to prioritise and Universal wins for me. Personally I would do a long Universal day and try and fit in both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, and then the two Disney parks leaving a day for relaxation.

It's tough to fit a 14 day holiday into 3-4 days to be honest. Hope this helps.

Ju
Yes I think I would agree, I would get one of the two day universal tickets and go to universal studios one day and universal islands of adventure the other day, I would then just get a day pass to whichever of the Disney parks you fancy. I would skip Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and go for either EPCOT or Disney Studios. Although I guess Disney Studios might seem a bit samey if you have just done Universal Studios.

If you fancied doing something a bit different and any in your party like Marine Life you could go to Seaworld for the day. Less rides though, more shows and exhibits.

Wouldn't worry too much about going and not 'doing Disney' especially as you are really a party of adults. Just do what you fancy. We went one year when the kids were very small and just did Disney and then we went back three years later and just did Universal, seaworld and discovery cove. Suited us fine and we were far less stressed than people who seemed to be trying to do eveything.

Enjoy. Doe :wave
I agree with previous posts, I wouldnt do magic Kingdom unless I had littlies with me. MGM (or whatever it's called now) is my total favourite. We arrived back from florida on Sunday after a 10 day holiday. We did animal kingdom, but like a previous poster said its a wildlife park with a few rides. I wouldnt do it again.
I would personally do, MGM, Universal studios and weather permitting a waterpark. have a lovely time, I love florida and you are made to feel very welcome.
If you get the chance do an airboat ride, we did one on big lake toho, it cost us 35 dollars for an hour, it was the best experience ever and the scenery is brilliant.
hugs la
Agree with previous posts, I have two children aged 14 and 12 and we've been to both. By far they both preferred Universal as the rides are better for older ones. That's not to say they didn't enjoy Disney, Universal just has more to offer older guests. Interestingly though it's unanimous that our most favourite park of all was Seaworld. :tup
I've been lucky enough to go to Orlando 3 times in the past 6 years, I love it!! I only go off season- term time-usually sept-oct.. hardly any queues for the rides.
Universal islands of adventure and studios are a MUST SEE! and are right next to each other, you go through 'city walk' to get to them which has numerous resteraunts shops, cafes, bars and also a large cinema complex (don't miss Jimmy Buffets 'Margaritaville') if you plan ahead and it's off peak you can get them both done in one day including all the rides but probably not all the shows, on your second day you could finish off what you missed the day before, then go to beltz designer outlets which is close by and can be reached on the trolley in front of wet n' wild which is a 20 min walk from universal entrance or go to wet n wild itself then you'll have the evening free.
If you have breakfast at one of the breakfast buffet reseraunts on I-Drive make sure you pick up a selection of the mini voucher books usually on a stand near the door, you can save upto 50% on food, drinks, shows, mini golf etc to do in the evenings.
For your party's age group you can't miss Epcot, check out the park maps online, leave world showcase til the end and from here you can grab a good spot to see the end of night firework display over the lake. This is a full day park you won't get out until after 10pm.
Final day would be a toss up between Seaworld or Busch gardens. The shows at Seaworld are fantastic and it's acessible by trolley at the end of I drive. Bush on the other hand usually involves a coach trip and again you are there for the full day.
If any of your group are prone to wandering make sure you either all have mobile phones or get some fairly cheapish walkie talkies..seriously. 6 of us went last time, one wandered off for a cigarette at 9am ish at epcot and we didn't see him again until 11pm that night back at the hotel - we can look back and laugh about it NOW.. Hope this helps. :wave:
Thanks for all your replies, seems like Universal is the one most suited to our party, any other ideas please keep them coming. :tup

Thanks again

Ezzigo
Given your party's make up (no young children) - I would also vote for Universal.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.