Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Donkey Sanctuary
11 Posts
Hi, i didnt see the tv programme last not so not sure if this is right, we went to a great donkey sanctuary in Nerja it is run by english people and they do a fantastic job, we went back a few times during our stay and took along food for the animals as you are allowed to feed them, and when we were there they were in need of dog walkers too. Its a great place to take the children, and i think you can adopt a donkey there too. Its situated just as you go into Nerja not sure of the name of the road though, if you do a web search you may find some more info, its well worth a visit. Hope this helps.
Caroline
I didn't see the programme, but I think you are referring to..
El Refugio del Burrito, which is around a 40 minute drive from Malaga, near Antequera.
They used to have their own website http://www.elrefugiodelburrito.com but that link don't seem to work anymore :cry: however it can be accessed from......
HERE

( English version available by clicking at the top of the page).

Sanji

*Edit. Link didn't work as there was a comma at the end, have edited it out. Pippy :wink: *
Edit. Link didn't work as there was a comma at the end, have edited it out. Pippy

Thanks Pippy, I'm a silly ass :oops: :roll: :lol:

Map HERE

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Yes thats the one.
It was a lovely programe, it showed the Mijas donkies being checked over by the vets .
We stay in Mijas village every year have done for about 10 years.
I never knew they had to have a health check and a certificate of health to work.
Some were stopped working and were given treatment , they all had their feet done . And a mark put on them so the owners couldn't swop them over to work if they were not given their health certificates.
It also showed poor sick animals being picked up and taken back to the sanctuary for treatment.
I never knew they had to have a health check and a certificate of health to work.

Oh yes, they do now....thank goodness.
Spain unfortunately has one of the worst animal cruelty records in Europe, and these donkies were worked until they dropped. :cry:
They had no shelter from the intense heat of the sun, not enough water troughs and no rest period...... and anyone who has been to Mijas will know that the white village streets consists of cobble stone, which is some places are quite steep and these donkies where expected to climb and slip on these cobbles, sometimes carrying a 20 stone man on a sight seeing tour.
I do believe that there is now a limit on the human weight that they can carry.
They often stumbled because they had been "shoed" incorrectly and sustained injuries to ligaments and sadly in some cases bones....often treated in an unorthodox way and never seeing a vet in their lives.

They were pitiful animals that were beaten and unloved...they were just a means to an end....money!

Sanjiiiiii
I no they have a new shelter that was built infront of the car park a couple of years ago.
They had a small shelter before at the top of the steep hill by where we stay.
I have always felt very sorry for them and have never been on one and never would.
I can't understand why an adult would want to ride one. :roll:
Years ago there used to be an English man always dressed in a light coloured suit and carried a clip board used to make sure all the animals in Mijas Pueblo wher looked after but I havn't seen him for a few years .
He used to tell the owners off for the way they tied the donkies up so tight they couldn't get to the water.
I'm so glad they are now being looked after , they look poor things .
It would break your heart sometimes to see how animals are treated here. Some are changing (slowly!). There are many animal charities now working very hard to rehome illtreated pets and a few horse charities too, they need all the help they can get. I have two rescue dogs and they are fantastic. A lot of horses and donkeys are left out in fields without shade and water and their back legs are tied together so they cannot wander. The TV prgramme is very good if you get a chance to see it.
It would break your heart sometimes to see how animals are treated here. Some are changing (slowly!).

Hiya Jacky.
I've just been catching up with the Spanish newspapers, and on Thursday the Government announced there is a bill being drawn up, which will make it a National law, which means the various Islands and provinces cannot be exempt from the legislation...regarding animal cruelty.

Some pets are treat better than human beings, whilst other animals like donkeys, bulls, horses and sheep are tortured and suffer unnecessary cruelty.
The bill will cover the transportation of animals, methods of killing in slaughter houses and animals used for experiments in laboratories...600,000 animals are used in medical experiments, half of them being mice...and more importantly, the fines and sentences for animal cruelty are going to be toughened up.

The bill will also include animals used in show fights, unauthorised public spectacles and film sets.
This will also bring the issue of bull fighting into these laws.

I'd pass another law...make the owners of dogs clean the :swear up, or fine them heavily. :twisted:
It might be slow, but one day Spain might just get there. :wink:

Sanji
when we were over this summer ,on a visit to Fuengarola market,there were lots of people waiting for rides on the horses,well my god three very huge women got onto the cart and the horse in front looked dreadful,i couldn,t help myself but go onto the man who owned the horse and point out that the horse needed agua,no no ,was his reply,it was pityful,you crual b------d,i said,and turned to my niece and said and look at those fat gits they should be ashamed of themselves a walk would do them good,i know they heard me,but i was so mad at the way no-one could see that they also needed water :evil: :evil:
Rebel
Good for you, for having your say, even if they dont understand, I bet it made you feel better.
:thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.