Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi, I'm sorry you didn't have a good holiday. We're going to a Dreams resort as well, in AUgust. It's not too far from the one you stayed at. It's in La Romana, Bayahibe. I hope our hotel fares better.
I have been all over the Carabean, and Dreams Punta Cana is one of the best we have ever stayed at. (30 years of travelling)
Hi folks Just booked for Dreams Punta Carna - Mid to End March 2010.
Flying from Brum. West Mids
We've read many reports on the resort over the past few weeks and forgoing our normal trip to Khao Lak (Tailand)decided on a change as it's closer and a little cheaper!
Would apreciate any first hand tips on the resorts accomodation. ie Layout of acc blocks, blocks to avoid or blocks to get into, areas to stay clear of (from what we have heard there arn't many of those!) How much and when to tip yada yada yada!
Have sent an email direct to the hotel but not sure if we'll get a reply?
Heard that the rep (is it Catherine?) is amazing, anyone got a contact number for her?
Even though my good lady is from the Med she suffers dreadfully from "mozzies" so I'm assuming good repelant etc is essential?
:sun2
I have been to punta cana many many times and Although the Dream is a good place it definitely has it's downfalls. The food for one! I did get food poisoning there. Also It's pretty secluded, so really, you're kind of stuck at the hotel. If your looking for a bustling night life, this may not be the place for you!
I've read lots of reviews from people who had great times there. Maybe I just caught them on an off week!

Cheers
Sara
jonyas,

All I can offer you is the map of the resort layout as I have not personally stayed at this resort but hope this goes a little way of helping you out.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2723747990035014968HuHVFx

Angie.
Sorry you had a bad time.

Just some feedback from the other end of the spectrum incase anyone has booked and is concerned. We went last April and thought it was really rather good. Considering we've paid nearly 3 times as much for other Caribbean holidays, we didn't have 3 times a better holiday elsewhere. We've been to some lovely hotels in that region and found it difficult to find fault with Dreams PC considering the price. Informtation about any possible faults, such as the hotel being isolated and the beach not being as good as that of other hotels was easily found with a little bit of research before we booked.

Our room was really lovely, not in need of a refurb at all. We were in building 6. We loved the fact that no matter what time of the day we went to the pool there were always sunbeds. Did you go at peak time of year?

I loved the fact that there were several a la carte restaurants rather than constant buffets too, which you didn't have to book and could eat at as often as you liked. Top shelf liquors were included in the all inc. as was Champagne (perhaps this is the norm in DR, I don't know, but I enjoyed it!)

I see what you mean about the entertainment not starting till 10. I guess they just try to make sure its full after everyone has had dinner but I did get tired towards the end. (The shows were excellent though).

And finally......it is a Spanish speaking country. We found that when we made a bit of effort speaking to the staff in our basic Spanish it was really appreciated and we were usually responded to in English. (And their English was alot better than our Spanish attempts!)

Lisa xx
Thanks to all who have responded so far we value your comments and suggestions.
It's a shame that people have bad experiences on holiday :( If we'd listened too all those folk that said "don't go to Thailand" a year after the Tsunami we would never have experienced such a wonderful time and culture, 3 consecutive years.

As they say, "do your research, pick your choice and pay your money" the rest is up too fate and a little luck.
We are happy that the complex is secluded/remote and if it's had a few issues over the years then thats as maybe but we considered and took on board all your comments before handing over the cash. Still, I'm sure even the top holtels have come in for some stick.
We only ask for a bit of peace and a relaxing time if thats not available then we are in trouble. LOL!

Would still really like some pointers on which accomadation (rooms) or location we should try and avoid or go for on the site - anyone help?

Happy days. John :) our thanks to Angie, Sara and Lisa.
Hi John,

Are you in a standard room booked or The Preferred Club rooms on an upgrade.

Out of interest you might like to have a look at the map of Punta Cana/ Bavaro area to get your barings of where your resort is............it will roughly be a 50min transfer from the Punta Cana Airport.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2682610320077359999CLCdnZ

Angie.
Hi Angie. Thanks for your reply.
At the moment I don't believe we are booked into "preferred rooms" as we would normally do an upgrade on arrival. I guess we are in the standard rooms. Have sent a couple of emails direct to the resort but as yet no reply! Had a look at the map you sent a link for and note the location of Blk 6 (Lisa's post,) Need to check out these "prefered rooms", may be worth an upgrade. John and Yiasmin
John,

Here is a link to Dream Punta Cana website about their different room categories and what you get extra for the Prefered club rooms.

http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepc/guest-rooms.html

Just to let you know I have found out that buildings 1 & 2 house the standard rooms.So a little more info for you to mull over.

Angie.
We upgraded to the Preferred Club Junior Suite.....the room was nice but we didn't find the clubhouse anywhere close to worth it. I guess we were comparing it the the sort of Club you get when you upgrade to Hyatts Regency Club or Hiltons executive CLub for example, but for me there was no comparison.

I believe the preferred club rooms are located in buildings 6&7. I wouldn't say they looked obviously better than the other buildings. Some of the other buildings were fairly close to the pathway which runs through the resort, so if you were on the ground floor your terrace wouldn't really feel very private, but if you requested, and got, a top floor room that would solve that problem for those particular buildings. There are pros and cons to most of the buildings, but I wouldn't consider any of them a bad choice.

Lisa x
LisaMJ - If you don't mind saying - how much a night did you pay for upgrade?? We are going to another Dreams resort in March and our TA (THOMSON) quoted ~ £99 per night per couple :( which is about a 60% increase on the holiday cost!
We have been told that we might get a better deal out in DR tho'; What amount would you think the upgrade is worth??
Well I suppose its a good thing that I can never be bothered to empty my inbox.....have copy and pasted the rate for you from the e-mail hey sent me. I contacted the hotel directly about 2 months before we went.

"Your upgrade is confirmed for 7 nights in a Preferred Club Junior Suite, at the rate of US$112.50 per room, per night (inclusive of a 25% discount)"

It was usually$150, but they gave a 25% discount.

If you wanted to upgrade just to a junior suite without the preferred status, is was $100, or $75 with the discount.

I also heard alot of people saying they were offered an upgrade, for a fee of course, on arrival.

Just to reassure, we've had some great holidays in the Caribbean and are quite picky, but I struggle to think of something wrong with Dreams PC considering the value offered.

Lisa x
LisaMJ, many thanks for the info - however, we are going for 14 days and even if they offered us a deal, at $112.5 per night it would add £1000 to the holiday - don't think I can justify that! :(
I've got to agree with you there! We travelled with our then 10 month old son and so wanted the extra room, and the jacuzzi on the balcony really appealed. However, we used that ONCE and stayed in it for about 15 mins! Can't quite remember how much the preferred club on its own was to upgrade. $30 a day is ringing a bell but I'm not sure. We did that partly to gain that extra special service that such a club usually brings, but it didn't at Dreams PC....if anything the service from the normal front desk was much better than the preferred club offered!

Lisa
Can anyone give me any information regarding both dominican and dreams punta cana hotel has me have never been to dominican before, i have been told there is a shopping centre near by, what does it sell and what are the prices like

do you have to dress in long pants for the resturants, what is the beach like

thank you for reading this and any info would be appreciated
Hi
Its been about 4 years since we were there but you did need long pants for certain restuarants, the chinese/japanese and I think the adult only one, but if I recall rightly the others were ok. You mention the shopping centre which is a short walk outside of the complex, its not particularly large and most of the shops were selling things like larimar jewellery, candles etc. There was a small supermarket selling alchohol, sweets etc. The shopkeepers were mostly selling the same things and as there is not much else in that area were keen for your business and I think you were expected to barter (which we are no good at). The hotel is quite far out and there isnt much around it, they did have stalls come into the hotel and set up in the evenings but we found them quite expensive.
For our Dreams Punta Cana review page, please click here.

David :wave
Has anyone travelled to Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana, would appreciate any helpful advice.
Thanks in advance Al.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.