Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Drinking Ages!!
25 Posts
yeah i went passed that site but im sure its out of date.
Like most european countries it is 18 years of age.

If you want further confirmation http://icap.org/table/MinimumAgeLimitsWorldwide.
Asturias - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asturias

Autonomous Community of the Principality of Asturias located at the very North of Spain on the Bay of Biscay.
When in Ibiza last year my daughter who was 17 at the time was asked for ID in a certain bar.The age limit is 18.Someone said it used to be 16.

The bar in question had for the previous 2 years never had an ID policy and would serve most who appeared say over 16,they had started getting quite strict,that said most other bars served her without questioning.
Why would anyone want a child of 14 to be able to buy and consume a alcoholic drink :think . ??
Different culture in Spain, the right one aswell. The drinking age over there is low(16, 14 etc) and how often do you see teens lying in the gutter on a sat night? never. But in UK, the age is 18 and you can't walk in a straight line on a sat night from dodging drunks decked on the floor.
I'm sorry to have to disagree, but disagree I must. There is a social problem in Majorca and elsewhere in Spain with youth drinking and it manifests itself most obviously with the so-called "botellon" - street drinking parties. These are not exclusively attended by the under age (under 18s) but this is a facet of them. Many towns suffer from these parties, such as Puerto Alcudia. A law was introduced that was meant to ban them but as is often the case it has not been well enforced. The parties have also led to serious incidents. There is a different culture, it is most certainly not as bad as things are in the UK, but I'm afraid that it is a myth to suggest that underage drinking is not an issue.
Ok there is a problem to a certain extent, but nowhere near to the extent of the UK where the drinking age is 18..
I have been to Alicante for the San Juan Fiesta for the last 6 years,a time of city wide celebrations day and night.Thousands of the cities teenagers gather on the beach at night with their carry outs.In all this time I have never seen an obnoxious or aggresive person or any loutishness commom place in the UK.

Pargaluvva,I have allowed my kids a couple of drinks at night when on holiday since they were 14 and in my presence,both have turned out to be decent well rounded people.
At the risk of turning this into a debate on morality I must entirely agree with pargaluvva and Andrew711. While the kind of scum behaviour all too common in the UK is generally, but not entirely, absent in most of Mallorca, with the attitudes apparent in some posts it's only a matter of time.
i'm not saying its totally absent, its just nothing compared to that of the UK.
I presume that pollensa1946 is saying that by me letting my kids have a bacardi breezer on holiday whilst not being 18,then the streets of Majorca will soon be full of drunk Brits.I would rather allow my kids to have a couple of drinks under my nose than 10 behind my back.

Is there a person in the country who never had an alcoholic drink before their 18th birthday.
Oh dear :duh

I think we have established the legal drinking age in Spain is 18.
I refuse to accept that!

:que Refuse to accept what?
that the drinking age in MALLORCA is 18, 99% sure its 16
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.