Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Dubai-Q&As
120 Posts
hi....all............as any one stayed in this hotel before and can give any advice.
its the hilton..hotel..ras.al.khairmah...in dubai.
we looking at going end of may early june...2007...
can you help.
we are looking at booking with a company called..dream ticket.
regards.and thanks...........john-doe.........
Hello,

I am visiting Dubai in July for 3 days as part of my honeymoon, can anyone tell me what currency they use and if when in the hotels it is usual to place things on your room bill and if cards are accepted everywhere. We are going to 3 places and want to take as little currency as possible.

Thanks.
Hi:

My auntie and uncle are making a stop over in dubai on route to perth and I've booked them into a hotel (holiday inn downtown and queens hotel)

I'm a bit worried about transfers, I've not arranged them, they're not very street smart! I don't want them stranded at the airport or worse ripped off!

Can anyone recomend a good firm who I can arrange their transfers with from here, or another firm they can arrange when they get there?
Hi

Myself and my partner are thinking about a week's holiday in Dubai towards the end of October. I have been before - but was confined to the Airport on a short transit to/from Australia.

Prices were pretty cheap in the airport - but i was wondering what the general cost of food and drink was in restaurants etc?

Any information would be gratefully received!
Hi Chloe,
The curreny in Dubai is UAE Dirham, We charged everything to our room, on our visit last summer. If you do this be careful as alcohol is very expensive about £4.50 a pint more for spirits and alcopops, even soft drinks are expensive in the hotels,We went to one of the supermarkets in one of the malls and stocked up on soft drinks and put them in the mini bar in our room, you could buy 12 for less than 1 in the hotel. It will be very hot in July so use plenty sunblock.
Have a great time
Karen
Chloe you'll find cards accepted almost everywhere - restaurants, hotel bars, shopping malls, etc.
I am wanting to go to Dubai for a week in March'08, what is the cost of an average holiday to this destination, who do the best deals to Dubai and what area is best to stay for a relexing break?

Thank you
There's no average cost in Dubai - you can go for a budget self catering apartment up to a 7 star hotel. It all depends on what you want to spend.

I've found the best deals through booking independently - use a site like http://www.travelsupermarket.com to compare flight options/prices then search for your hotel.

For a relaxing holiday i'd look at one of the properties in the Madinat Jumeirah complex which has beautiful waterways linking the hotels and souk, a nice stretch of private beach and over 40 restaurants on site. All of these are 5 star and very popular so it won't be a cheap option. If your budget is tight i can recommend Arabian Courtyard Bur Dubai, being in the city it's much cheaper but they do have a courtesy bus for the public beach and you have the museum, some very nice cafes, the creek, souks and old Dubai all in easy walking distance.
I am going to Dubai end of October/ beginning of November for 3 days for a stopover on the way back from Oz with a few friends. Because we're not going for very long we'll probably spend the majority of the time relaxing by the pool or the beach.

We're not on a strict budget but equally don't want anything too expensive. Could anyone recommend a good hotel/ location to stay?

I read a few posts on here saying that it is worth staying near the city and getting a bus to the beach to save money, is there a big price difference? I dont know whether I would find it too much hassle getting a bus to the beach and additionally if it's really hot I would like there to be a sea breeze.
:D
Arabian Courtayrd Bur Dubai is a great hotel if you don't want to go crazy. Nice arabian styled rooms, good restaurants and an excellent location (overlooking Dubai museum) but if you're wanting to relax by a pool, the pool is tiny. They do have free beach transfer though.

Novotel also seems a popular choice for a mid range hotel and that does have a decent pool. It's near the world trade centre (just back from Sheikh Zayed Rd) so not in the heart of the city but a short (depending on traffic) taxi ride away.

Oasis Beach is another popular mid range hotel. It's a little further out than i like but you do have access to the pool and beach.

You can use the bus for the main sights but taxis in Dubai are so cheap it's a much more convenient way to travel.
Thanks for your advice I will definitely check those out.

Any further tips are also welcomed. :)
I know that malaria isn't a problem in Dubai, but am I right in thinking that the dreaded mozzie is out there? :evil:
I have to say, I've been in Dubai for quite some time now and not seen or been affected by mozi's. Maybe I'm just lucky.
we are going there in a few years for a birthday , how safe is it for children and in general britiah people??

cheers for any info
Hi,

When I was in Dubai a couple of years ago, it seemed extremely safe. As a woman in my 30s it's one of the places I would feel most confident about going to alone. So far only the prohibitive cost of single supplements has prevented me from doing so. However, this was a couple of years ago, and I notice that you'll be travelling in a few years. In theory anything can happen in a few years, so it may be worth asking again when you're ready to book. At present I wouldn't have any concerns.

Regardless of when you travel, bear in mind that despite it's reputation as a decadent playground for the rich, it is a Muslim country and the culture should be respected. So - away from the beach, don't wear clothes that expose too much flesh (men too); no public displays of affection; no excessively drunk behaviour. Keep this in mind and you'll be fine.
Hi

Reply to Benibob. I lived in Dubai for 3 years and recently returned, so I am best placed to confirm Dubai is unbelievably safe. I saw no crime at all, although I did hear of a few incidents, albeit nothing major. It's a safe place for women and to bring up children - and the only reason it's like this is because the penalties are so harsh. Most of the people in Dubai are there to work, and if the misbehave they will either get arrested or arrested then deported after their sentence. If you're honest and hard working, it's a wonderful place. Good luck!
Looking for some help possibly booking a holiday in Dubai, flights are paid for as part of husbands work package, so would need to just book hotels. What is the best way forward.
Decide on your criteria for a hotel - beach / city. budget, etc etc and then Google! I booked mine as part of a package through Lastminute, and got a great deal at the Hilton Jumeirah. Not one of the brand new, super-luxurious hotels but clean, comfortable and with friendly, helpful staff. Another hotel booking website I've used a lot and found reliable is http://www.bookings.com (though not used them for Dubai).

If you're looking for a beach based hotel, you need to be looking in the Jumeirah area. Taxis in Dubai are cheap (compared to the UK) and I've been reliably informed that the traffic situation (which was dreadful when I was there a couple of years ago) has massively improved, so getting around shouldn't be a problem.
just booked a cruise from Dubai in March2012,we are flying back to Dubai from Goa
and having a 2 night stopover pre cruise,do we need a visa for Dubai?

for our 2 night stay have booked hotel in the Creek area is this a good place to stay?
thanks annx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.