Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Dubai-Q&As
120 Posts
thanks for the advice - definitely lots to think about. whats the temperature like in october and is sunbathing possible? was in egypt in sept so don't mind the heat - especially if its the same 'dry heat'? :D
I wouldn't say it's a dry heat but my last visit was July/August when heat and humidity are highest. October is when the horseracing starts again so must be more comfortable - i've read reports saying about 85-90F is average for Oct.
thanks for that! temperature sounds good - better than scotland in october anyway. definitely lots to consider. :D
I am planning on staying at the Mina a Salam in June this year but have not booked yet.

Is it cheaper to book a package deal and if so does anyone have a link I can use, or shall I look at flights and hotel separately??

So far I have found it for £840 for 7 nights on June 17th destinology.co.uk.

Many thanks
I've always checked out both options as it often varies to which is the cheaper. I'd see what's the best deal you get for a flight and then phone up a travel agent and see what price they can offer a package for. I know Thomas Cook Signatures and Tradewinds do Mina but probably several others too.
:D hiya i want to go to dubai for my 30th birthday in december (child free ..... yes!) any way back to subject does anyone know any good places that do 3,4or 5 night stays, and doesnt cost the earth. :) :) :)
Does any one know any where that does good 3/4 day deals to dubai :)
http://www.voyana.com have some great deals on short breaks to Dubai at the moment :wink:
Not sure if this will be of interest but flights to Dubai are very cheap right now. Seems Sir Richard Branson has just started schedule services to Dubai end of March with fares around £235 return. Strangely, BA have got similar deals, I have just booked for me and partner for first 2 weeks in May for £445 schedule BA return the two of us. Go straight to BA/Virgin website, not through third party, you will also get an offering of hotels.

Good luck.

Alan
We are travelling to Dubai next month and are staying for a couple of weeks and plan to see all the main tourist sights. However, I do not want to hire a car and was wondering whether anyone can tell me if there is a good public transport network? Are there buses running to all areas of the city, are they easily accessible for non-arabic speaking tourists? What sort of costs can we expect using taxi's? Any help at this stage will help me budget, whatever being left going to the shiny gold souk fund.

Thanks in advance.

Alan
Taxis are relatively cheap. There are buses but I'm not sure how easy they are to use for tourists. have a look at the Dubai tourism website for more info. http://www.dubaitourism.ae/Travel/default.asp?SubCatID=41&nPage=5

Also to get from one side of the creek to the other, you can take an abra or water taxi. This is a real experience and cheap!! :D
Anyone know of any airfare deals from midlands airports?
Most places will do 3, 4, 5 night stays - alot of people visit Dubai on a stop over so often book just a few days.
Arabian Courtyard Hotel in Bur Dubai is nice for a lower priced hotel. The Madinat properties are nice if you're looking for a beach stay or if your budget doesn't stretch that far look at Hilton Jumeirah Beach or Oasis Beach, both have good prices but are in the construction area.

Wherever you go do mention that it's your 30th birthday - they'll really look after you. The same goes for restaurants, make sure they know it's a special occasion.
They have the open top double decker buses (the Type you get in London, Dublin, etc.). They start from Wafi City Mall and stop at all the major tourist destinations where you can hop on and off at your leisure. Can't remember how much this cost but you buy a day pass which also includes entry to Dubai Museum.

Many hotels offer free transport by minibus to the shopping malls, souks, etc.

And as the previous post says taxis are very reasonably priced even if you get stuck in traffic (they charge by mileage only).
Emirates fly from Birmingham and we got excellent fares with them in February :D
:D Thanks marcuschap72. Some good useful information there. I am off to Sharm in 8 weeks time so wont be booking anything for Dubai yet , although it is the first thing on my list to do when i get back. The places you mentioned- can you book them direct and if so how? :)
Thanks marcuschap72 - I'm off to have a look now :D
Yes you can book direct but i think you can sometimes get better deals if you shop around (i booked Arabian Courtyard with hotels.com cheaper than their own website).
I'm sure you'll find Hilton and Oasis beach if you Google but Arabian Courtyard is http://www.arabiancourtyard.com and all Madinat properties (Mina A Salam, Al Qasr, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab, etc) can be found through http://www.madinatjumeirah.com
If your money stretches to it i'd definitely go for one of the Madinat properties (i like Mina A Salam) but if not it's a useful site for checking out and booking some of their great restaurants.
:thanks keep me posted on anything else you may come across. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.