General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi beachbabe ... we have a separate thread regarding 'ear' problems .... please click here.

David :wave
Hi
Hubby suffers with his ears alot, so this holiday he had them syringed 2 weeks before we left and wore foam earplugs when swimming, this seemed to do the trick!
As for your eyes, being an optician, nothing you can take to prevent the infection im afraid. You can do the obvious like avoiding sand on the face, wear swimming goggles if going underwater ect. If the worst does happen you can now get the anti biotic drops chloremphenicol over the counter, (not available to contact lens wearers) you would probably be able to get that abroad if needed. If you do wear contact lenses, dont fly in them the risk of dehydration is high. Restrict wearing to evenings or wear good eyeprotection and split your wearing times up. Possibly speak to your optician about taking daily disposables for holidays they ideal for travelling.
Hope this helps!
Supersox
Hi BB.
Buy some swim ear on the plane. Hubby and son both got terrible ear infections this year. Hubby got some amoxycillin tablets over the counter at a Farmacia for a couple of euros but Tom had to visit a clinic and was given an antibiotic suspension. Don't forget your E111 card!!!! You will need this if you visit a clinic.
Next holiday we will take earplugs to wear for swimming. Can't help with eye infections but I suggest taking optrex and wearing goggles for swimming.
Have a good holiday, infection free hopefully.
You can get swimear from Boots. Look on the other thread for ear infections.

Good luck

kazee
We had no problems buying chloramphenecol for our toddler last year in Spain. She has a pollen allergy which results in conjunctivitus and it flared up while we were away. It only cost us 1.58 Euros for the eyedrops.
Please bear in mind that chloramphenicol eye drops must be kept refrigerated.
Hi David,
Because the address has changed the click here link above does not work.
Try it now :wink:

Pippy :D
can anyone help every year my son gets an ear infection when we are on our holiday (due to swimming pool) is there anything the doc can give us before we go to try and stop this we always end up at docs or hospial because hes in so much pain any tips to try and stop this would help. i know keeping out of pool would work 100% :wink:
Merged with existing topic that might be of help :wink:

Mark :D
thanks also found lots of info on other link as well
swimear is always good for ears. Just add a few drops after a days swimming!

We got some from Bodycare! £3.99
chivas69 how long ago did you buy it ? i know they had it last year have they still got it?
We no longer have a Boots' in our town, do you know if we will be able to purchase it from one of the duty free shops at Newcastle airport? Savers/Homebargains and Superdrug have none, well not in our town any way.
I know you can get it on the plane but I don't want to chance it in case they have none.
They had it by me a few weeks ago!
Boots have never had it near me
Our Sainsburys sells Swimear.
£4.99 in our sainsbury
Well after a 24mile round trip to the nearest Sainsbury's, I now have my bottle of swim ear, thanks Elaine and Julie, I would never of thought a supermarket would stock it.
Now feel it burn the inside of your ears!
They told me people swore by it, I'm not surprised! I was like "what the beeping beep is burning my beeping ears"
lol :D
ok it's not that bad!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.