General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Earache in swimming pools is usually caused by infections which are carried in the water. In Spain you can buy antibiotics over the counter (with the advice of the pharmacist), but I don't know if you can do this in Turkey. You may be able to ask your own GP for some antibiotics before you go on holiday, the GP may also be able to give you advice about whether to use a particular kind of ear-plugs or anything like that.
:)
My husband usually ends up with an ear infection whilst on holiday. It is usually caused by the swimming pool and him not drying the insides of his ears properly when he comes out and spending too much time underwater messing about with the children! Do ever be tempted to dry ears out by put Q-tips into the ears as this just forces it further moisture further down the ear canal. Just use either a rolled up piece of tissue or the corner of a towel.

We were told never to use ear plugs as these too can trap the small amount of water than manages to get into the ear and hence cause ear problems.

The only method we have come up with that seems to work (and was recommended to us by someone who was deaf because of a serious ear infection) is to cover the outside of the ear with vaseline and put a small amount of cotton wool inside the ear and then smear some vaseline over that. We tried this last year in Tenerife and it certainly worked for us.

Good luck.
When we are on holiday all of us spend lots of the time in the pool, and before long I went deaf in one ear (perhaps not deaf but hearing was very muffled), this lasted for days, and the children ended up with painful ears, is there any thing I can do or take with me this year that will help or is it simply keep head out of the water. :cry:
Jessie

How about getting ear plugs I use them as I have a perferated ear drum.

Carol
When that happens, use swim ear. They are drops which dry up the water inside, they worked for me.
Thank you both for your replies. Where can I get swim ear from?
Hi Jessie :D

I've found a couple of links for you....

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/living/health/9377693.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

In the above link, click on Accessories, then Health and Fitness to find Swimear.

Philippa :D
Hi Jessie

Don't be too quick to label this as an ear infection related to the swimming pool.

Some of us just happen to produce a bit too much wax in the ear. This may not become noticeable until swimming underwater and any water in the ear is then slow to clear and yes you become deaf to a certain extent.

If you know this often causes you a problem, it may be worth a visit to the dector before you go.

Denis
i have to agree with denis. my hubby has terrible problems with his ears when he spends ages in the pool or swimming in the sea. for him its a build up of wax. he normally uses otex to soften the wax if he gets any problems when we are away. medot.xx
Jessie

I've found another website selling the drops...

CLICK HERE
Thanks Pippi, I have ordered some, so let you all know how I go on with them.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I've just bought some Swim Ear drops from Superdrug, £4.99.
I've used Swim Ear for years as I do a lot of diving and work in water most of the year. Swim ear will get rid of any water in the ear and reduce the risk of any infections. It's great stuff for the money. Just watch for getting it your eyes when you use, it stings like hell!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/swimear.jpg

Darren
Good to hear from a regular user :D

I've always had trouble with sore ears after swimming, apparently I've got narrow ear canals which probably makes the problem of trapped water worse so I'll be using my drops after each swim in Sharm.........in 12 days! :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :D
You'll be needing it in Sharm, lots to see and do under the surface! I'll be thinking of you in the nice, warm 28 degree waters of the Red Sea while I'm in water which is only 18 degrees which recieves industrial effluent (ie sewage!)!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Raft.jpg

Darren
That's nice :? :lol: :lol:

I'm trying to imagine how warm 28c will feel. As a comparison, how warm would the sea off Worthing be at this time of year?
28 degrees is the same as most indoor heated swimming pools, very nice. These are the current surface temperatures around the UK coast, not as nice as where you are going! You'll not need a drysuit as least!

It'll only be about 20 degrees where I'm diving in Turkey in Sept, a 5mm full wetsuit will be in order. You won't need anything where you are going and only a 3mm shorty for diving.

Darren
Never ever used swim ears before - can anyone use this or is it something you use if you have sore ears?

Just wondering because i had aspergillies in my ears recently and had to have treatment at hospital. If swim ears is something to prevent my ears getting bad again it may be worth it.

Can children use this too?

:lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.