Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Keep out of the pool if possible, if you do go in use wax ear plugs, try not to get the pool water in your mouth.

This time of the year pool water heats up to a surprisingly high degree, (30C + today) so it becomes infectious with children's complaints, and also due to poor pool maintenance, not enough chlorine is the usual suspect, best to use the sea, it is clean and a fair bit cooler..
Think this happens everywhere not just Cyprus as hubby and son always get them on holiday regardless of where we go, but you try and keep a kid out the pool on holiday--- Impossible!
Two years ago my son and I ended up at the clinic in Protaras with ear infections proscribed an anti-biotic and it cleared up in around three days.

The doctor gave me this advice, the reason for your ear infection is water trapped in the ear, the ear will become infected if water remains in the ear for long periods of time, swimming and not drying the ear will result in infection, make sure that you have a clean ear to start with, if you have excessive ear wax you should treat this before your holiday, after swimming use a product that will clean and dry the ear, he suggested swim-ear. and don't use ear plugs.

I followed his advice and both my son and I have never suffered from ear infections when on holiday since.

Hope this helps

Maurice
I can highly recommend Swim-Ear. It's an excellent product and easy to use.

As soon as you come out of the water insert the liquid via the dropper it will immediately clear excess trapped water and along with it any germs/bacteria.

I dont go on holiday without it. It can be bought in several stores including Boots and Bodycare at less than £5.....well worth the money :wink:

See this previous post in the General Q forum for details of the product and where to buy online http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=36161&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
We had a problem a few years back when we visited Menorca,
loads of the children and some adults went down with ear infections whilst we were there - our youngest was then four and had to go to hospital for 2 nights and it was touch and go if they were going to let us fly home as he was quite poorly
When we got home I took him to our GP who said it was a common problem but a good why to prevent it was "chewing gum"
He said when the children get out of the pool give the gum to chew on and it helps to clear the tiny pipes of water/ wax in the ear and prevents a build up which can lead to infection
Ever since then we take loads of gum and have not had any problems since
thanks for your replies !

i will def get some of the swim ear
I assume she can stay in the water if we use that then ???? :? she will happily stay in for ages infact trying to keep her out is nigh on impossible!
many thanks
Hi There

In Majorca me and my children had very bad ear infections, this year we have just come back from spain and after speaking to my gp before i went, she advised usind a drop of olive oil in each ear every morning as this formed a barrier so the water couldnt go right down into the canal. i was a bit pessamistic but we did it every morning and i have to say it definately worked brilliant.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.