Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Easter
12 Posts
Cyprus, or rather, Orthodox Easter was last week hipsy. It is unlikely that any celebrations will be done for Western Easter. Unless there is anything put on by ex-pats ?
I thought it was our easter last week and Greek orthodox easter is 27th April ?
:whoops

Yep - I got it the wrong way round...it was Greek Independence Day last week, not Easter - D'Oh!
Thanks Bellavista :oops:
We fly out too on 27th April which we notice is their Easter - does everywhere close down? will we still be able to get meals in tavernas, will supermarkets be open etc? any help would be appreciated, thanks
Restaurants and tourist shops will still be open. Lots of offices close and some of the smaller, independent shops may close for a few days.

Easter Saturday is a big celebration night. After mass at midnight, and when they have chased all the badness out (they lock the doors in the church and make lots of noise), they come back out and light big bonfires (you will see them stacked ready with firewood at the side of most of the churches) and set off fireworks. In some of the villages - the young lads throw gas canisters onto the bonfires so they launch skywards like rockets. And apparently, they sometimes throw fireworks at the ladies feet - something to do with them being "unclean" or something. I don't "do" religion - so, I've no idea what that is all about.
Once all the frivolity is done - it's home to a big slap up meal as now the fasting is over, they can light up the bbq's and eat meat again. :cheers

CwB
Hi, Its easter this weekend. Public holidays on Friday, Monday & Tuesday so all big supermarkets will be closed!
Hi Nemo

thanks for your reply. will there be places open to buy basic provisions like milk, bread etc? Nothing we can do about it I suppose if they are not, but just wondered. We are staying in our own villa from Sunday, and wonder if it would be an idea to ask the owners to get someone to put us some in the villa, if we give them some cash!
Hi, I'm told that the smaller tourist supermarkets etc will all be open so you should be fine.

Cheers!
No matter what the holidays - you will usually find the big bakeries such as Sigma, Zorbas & Sunfresh are still open 24/7 and you can buy bread, milk, cheese, packets of ham, butter, cereals etc in the big bakeries.

It's unusual all the shops will close in the tourist area, so don't worry too much.

CwB
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!
Don't mention Zorbas! I'm drooling already!!!!

Mark
mmmmm

I just love their cheese croissants and also the lounzopita. :)

And - their cake cabinets are to die for :tongue

:offtop Sorry :rofl

CwB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.