Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
no need to defend yourself this is what the forum is for to give opinions and facts as you find them and i believe this topic has given both sides of the discussion and a lot of people will have read the various comments and been able to come up with an answer, in fact your facts have been exactly what people are looking for, different people eat and drink differently on holiday.
Well said, hope none of us are coming across as being funny just sharing are thoughts and experiences. Some questions that seem simple are nearly always the ones that everyone wants to know but dare not ask. sites like this are invaliable.
Sadly, we probably won't make Cyprus until early '09.

Competition:
See who can eat out all fortnight for the least outlay without losing 1½ stone. :lol:
Receipts required!

Mark
1½ stone ???
Do you know how big I am to start with?
I'm only little - that's just under 1/6 of my entire body weight :smile:

I will supply receipts though - back over 3 weeks on Saturday ;)
iallen, daveeboy: no worries guys, sorry if I came over too defensive in my last post too - the first keos are on me if we meet up over there one day :tup
mark dont give my missus any ideas please, now putting on 1 1/2 stone is more likely. pubdog sounds like the basis for a good night im in for the 2nd round see you in july.
OY!
What about my Keo? (Prefer Leon, though.) :wink:

Mark
Leon Mark, is that not what flows down the Gangees's? yuk!! :wave:
Not too sure how old this particular web page is but I do know some of the night clubs can be very pricey http://www.cyprus-forums.com/ayianapa/schedules.htm

The prices quoted on the above forum seem to be low in comparison to what a friend of mine was paying a few years ago - but then, that was Napa in it's hey day. It's not quite as "full on" now as what it was in the late 90's early 2000's but clubs don't open till around 2am as most of the bars are open well after midnight.

The above forum gives some indication of drinks prices in Cy£'s - so should give you some idea of costs. Eating and drinking in any of the "tourist" establishments will be more costly than the local bars/restaurants - but you can hardly expect youngsters to go looking for the cheaper option - it will be a case of going where the mood takes them.

Just hope she has some long pockets :)

CwB
Mark - Yes, Iknow yours is a Leon ;)
Daveeboy - When are you there in July? We are over 6th -20th
we are over for a wedding 13th to the 20th, looks like a chance for a beer pubdog
This comes up time and time again

I believe that people asking prices on this board are asking for prices in the tourist areas as that is where they are staying obviously.

Telling somebody that they can survive on limited cash flow by going to out of the way places is fine but who on earth wants to go on holiday and spend time where the locals go and watching every penny.

If you have to watch the pennys then you shouldn't be on holiday or should have picked a cheaper destination.

Most of you know my parents have a place in Napa, and spent every year there till we lost my precious Dad in December - don't know what my mother will do this year.
Ive been visiting cyprus since I was 5.

Myself and my hubby have been going out there every summer for 13 years. We never stay with Mum and Dad always prefer to hotel it we always bring €3000 and skimp on nothing. Its our hollier and we work hard for it. That amount covers car hire, eating out, sunbed hire and anything I want to buy.

I don't understand how anyone could survive on a grand a week
polar wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could survive on a grand a week
A grand a WEEK!!
Through necessity some have to survive on less than a grand a FORTNIGHT - or end up having a short break in a caravan in Filey! (Which, sadly, is as far as our budget will allow this year.)

polar wrote:
who on earth wants to go on holiday and spend time where the locals go
Me. Away from "Grocklesville" Cyprus is full of Cypriots, which suits me fine. I'm stuck with Brits 50 weeks of the year. I want a break! :lol:

polar wrote:
watching every penny
Not me, if I can help it.

We would normally spend £1,000 to £1,200 on our holiday, that being for flights, accommodation, travel insurance and car hire. Food, petrol and day-to-day expenses would be extra.
All-in-all we would fork out about £2,000, plus we would normally have a UK holiday costing about another grand. That is a big chunk out of our annual income.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but it seems money is no object for you.
Chance, for some, would be a fine thing!

Mark
If you have to watch the "pennies" then you shouldn't be going on holiday!! - sorry but what world are you living in Polar. We'd all like to be in the position of having unlimited spends, unfortunately that is not possible for the majority of tourists and as you don't know individual circumstances you shouldn't come out with such a derogatory statement as that. Unless your head is in the sand and you have bypassed the "credit squeeze & anticipated recession" in the UK you obviously have no idea how this is going to affect the average person taking his or her family on holiday this year.
Its not a derogatory comment
And I don't live in the UK
I'm not prepared to enter into a tit for tat with you but your comments were insulting to the average tourist who has to budget £1,000 for a two week break and for some a lot less. Clearly you don't live in the UK otherwise you wouldn't come out with such a silly statement. A lot of holidays for this season have already been paid for but with the low exchange rate tourists are now going to find it difficult this year to stretch their money. Your inference is unless everyone is in your privileged position to have unlimited spending money they should not have a holiday.
Please folks, keep discussion friendly !!

David :wave
"A fool and his money are soon parted." Thomas Tusser, 1524 - 1580
Hate to butt into your little spat about spending money....

By the way I would agree the majority of people going on holiday will have to budget to some degree in these times of a credit crunch, and even though a holiday 'could' be classed as an extravagance, most people who work hard 48 weeks a year need a break...even if on a budget...more so possibly, to relieve their stress!!

We generally use around £500 a week for 2 adults, on a self catering hol in Spain..

So...

Can I ask a question about 'general' spending on Cyprus...ie: coffee, beer, breakfast/lunch/dinner, taxi's around Napa, anything else relevant to a weeks stay in the tourist parts?

Would you say on the whole it is more expensive than a weeks s/c in Spain? Most of the things I've read on this Cyprus forum seem's quiet on par with Spain...which im my opinion has got very expensive over the past two years!

Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.