Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
How long is she going for ?, i spent £1250 last year for two weeks self catering, but that was for two of us.
she's going for 2weeks,but she can spend
i would think she would have enough with £1000, but i would take a visa card as well.
im a nervous wreck thinging they will run out of money

Why not put some "emergency money" on a prepaid credit card?
Let her have the PIN number for it only when she phones up broke.
Think the post office one is quite good
my daughter has a nationwide flexi account, there is no charge for withdrawing money abroad.

And she leaves some money at home for my as back up, just in case she runs out.

so if she texts me end of the 1st week to say money is running out, then i just go to the nationwide bank and put the cash in.
cant see £1000 being near enough for 2 weeks, we budgeted £100 per day and cyprus will be at least 15% dearer this year than last and in the tourist areas at least it is dearer than most places i have been to, bearing in mind younger people will not look for cheaper food and drink but will go where the life is (and so they should) money will soon run especially the price of drinks in ayia napa
Blimey!

The 2 of us could eat out daily for a fortnight, breakfast, lunch and evening meal with drinks with a wallet starting at €600.00 and still have money left.

Mark
that is £40 PER DAY so £2 each for breakfast £4 each for lunch £8 each for dinner and £6 each for drinks, you obviously eat away from the tourist areas or do a lot of runners just kidding :D but this question was about ayia napa, also most people do not want to be checking their spending to such a degree
There is no way you can eat out every meal including drinks for two people for a fortnight for £600, i just dont believe it, impossible.
£600 done me and mrs last year in protaras/ayia napa for a week that inclubed taxis to and protaras to ayia napa and going out eating day and night and drinking aswell best thing to do is get some vodka or other stuff before you head out saves you a right but.

also ayia napa has lots of drink promos and club reps/promotors usually try and haggle you to go to their club so get nice discounts on drink aswell
thats for a week, Edwards.m reckons he could manage on two weeks for that.
I believe he could. Remember, the local wages are only about Cy£500 a MONTH. I never count, but I certainly don't spend anywhere near £1000 every time we go out. Shop where the locals shop, eat where the locals eat and it's easy. Go to the tourist areas and it will cost more.

Horses for courses of course, but it CAN be done
thats ok if you live there but when you only have 2 weeks and you have picked a tourist area then unless you get a taxi and they are not cheap in protaras you are stuck with those prices and then you have the taxi cost to add to the price of the meal and if there are a number of cheap eating and drinking establishments in protaras then let us know, iallen has had many trips to protaras and obviously hasnt found them.
Some of the people who live in Cyprus always come up with the same old thing, keep away from the tourist areas. Yes i am well aware of this and probably could find the cheap local tavernas, i always go to the supermarket near the church in Paralimini for supplies. It is totally unrealistic for someone staying in the main resorts to venture too far out without transport or dragging young kids all over the place. In theory then all the people who dont spend a lot, dont eat in the tourist areas they go all over the place every night and find the cheapest places to eat and drink, i dont think so.
we always go to the orphanides like you but its only for bits and pieces no way are we going to cater for ourselves on hols,still find 600 euros v low
Some of the people who live in Cyprus...

First of all, I don't live in Cyprus, but I do have property there and visit regularly.

I didn't say it was necessarily practical for everyone, but I did say that it could be done, and it can.
We don't go all over the place iallen - we know where there is good food at good prices and go there. Like I said, it is horses for courses. If you go up to Orphanides for supplies - (good move), then you pass some of the places to which I refer, maybe you would like to try some of the taverna on the road up to it - you may be surprised :)
I am not trying to shoot anyone down. If I can help, then I will.

Daveeboy: Mark was quoting £, not €. I guess he meant GB£ - i agree €600 may be a little light ;)
1,500GBP last year for two of us, eating out all the time, taxis, sunbed hire, drinks etc. Still ran short of money! We did however eat in the tourist areas because by the time you've added the cost of a taxi looking for the cheaper places outside the tourist area the difference is marginal and seriously who can really be bothered. We've only got 2 weeks to enjoy Cyprus and most of us don't really have the time or the inclination to start sourcing out cheap places to eat and the tourist areas know that. The exchange rate this year is going to make a difference, I'm going to have to discover what the big white thing in the corner of our apartment is (cooker!!) for at least a few snacky type meals. Never switched it on in 9 years.
Yes I am some people, but we only try to help, it is up to you if you take any advise, but remember we are in a position to advise you..

Well I find this fascinating thread, but remember how long is a piece of string, we all have different standards and expectations, but €1.000 a week should be more than enough, but you could spend as much or as little as you wished, I managed to run a car and house, eat out two or three times a week, on half of the figure I have given, but if you have a large family or you eat out three times a day and like any other country in the world you will spend it easily, just to say Pugdog is correct chose to eat where the locals go you will get usually better grub and it will cost a lot less, this is a fact!!!!!! above all enjoy yourselves, it is what you work for.....
  • Edited by jimbox 2008-04-07 17:56:34
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.