Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hey Dave

Good to see you visited Starlight....is it still....well....authentic, rustic and dirty?? I forgot the owners name now but is he still there?

Is Aubergine still on the corner? And did you try?

And finally I was told about a newish place on the road to Anjuna accross from the baazar? Did you notice it's name and whether it was worth a go?

The other place I am interested in is a place called sunset that is somewhere on the baga river coast and the headland. Any info on this one?

Thanks. How did the photography go this year?

Cheers
Hi Dave,great to know as all the ones you listed are also our favourites,one we`re desperate to try is bomra`s there was talk that it wont be there this year do you by any chance know anything, thanks Deb
Dave where is Rasa Arpora? Ive never heard of it.
Gemma! It is near MO JO's! Only opened last year, and the boss who used to be at All spice is running it! Good food! Give it a try XX
Thanks Goangirl, will need to look out for it. Is it on the same side of the road as MoJos near the little row of shops?
Gemma! Yes it is near the shops. You can't miss it. Can't wait to see what Mo Jo's is like now if anything at all! :que
Gemma! It is near MO JO's! Only opened last year, and the boss who used to be at All spice is running it! Good food! Give it a try XX

Is that Vinnie from All spice who is running it ?

I shall definately be visiting Bernard`s place on CSM rd a bit more this season, I missed last year so looking forward to it :)

Hope so, Vinnie's a great bloke. I can remember him from the small restaurant next to Sun Village
Feelthevibe wrote:

No it is the older one :whoops small with the moustache! Lovely man! Vinnie is still there, and i still think Vinnie IS All spice!
Gemma, Raza's is past the market on the corner as you turn to the launderette we ate there last New Years eve, very nice, looking forward to going bacck again
Thanks everyone, I will definitely give it a try.
I also like Nicks Place, great food, nice atmosphere and spotlessly clean.
Yes Gemma, popped into Nick's for a full breakfast on one of my bike rides, big plate and all the trimmings, while I tucked into my brekkie the lads from Nick's where more interested in my bicycle propped up outside, ringing bell etc.
Hi, where is Nick,s please?staying at the Royal Goan Monterio, is it anywhere near :que
thanks
annx
Hope so, Vinnie's a great bloke. I can remember him from the small restaurant next to Sun Village Think that was Razza before it relocated, great place for lamb steaks

Hi, where is Nick,s please? just past the MD heading to Apora, they have put up the prices by quite a bit this sesaon and the earlybird menu is now 230 Rps and now stops at 7pm but still good value,

Best meals this season..... lunch at Babba au Rhum, Apora, fresh baked quiche with salad or ham and cheese baguette or ciabatta with a light mustard sauce and salad......Fine dining at Tuscany Gardens next door to the Aledia Santa Rita, Sinquerim, not expensive for an Italian style meal, nice setting......excellent and inexpensive dining.. Kalinga, Candolim.. Montanas Calangute.. Fire an' Ice and Lazydays CSM road Baga.....best live music with good food Stone House Candolim just over the road from Kalinga....best party night Sunday at Jambalaya candolim
Thanks meagain,can,t wait untill March to try them all :)
annx
We are now based in Candolim having moved from the Marinha Dourada.
We had 3 visits to All Spice, Jamies and to RASA. all excellent Starlight was unchanged. Aubergine is no more and has been taken over as a place for locals so could be worth a try !
Calangute we have been to the Thai twice and intend returning.
Down the bottom end of Candolim the biggest dissappointment has been the Calamari Shack and Top Nosh. Both recommendations so it all goes to show.
We tried a place called Palmlands , set back just beyond the Bistro. Felt sorry for them as they have only recently opened and had no customers. I have to say the food was very good.
Top find down here has been Ceceilias, almost next to Stonehouse. Super food, excellent prices ( a two course meal pluce a couple of dronks about R8-900. No loud music either !!!

Bomras hasn't opened yet, but there were signs of activity so no doubt they will soon. Hopefully before we go home !

Prices around and about generally up. A large Kingfisher beer is R80-90 and lots of shacks stock only small ones which they as R50 for !
DaveWales wrote:
.....so it all goes to show

Yes it does; a well-meaning thread, but the best way to check out an eating place is to actually try it. Take, for instance, Bomras, which we tried last year; Pah!! Slow service; sub-standard food which wasn't 'heat' hot. Prior to going we actually rang the chef, who prides himself on being able to "cook anything for anybody - just the way they like it". That turned out to be a joke as well.

Don't take my word for it, though ;)
Just back from a week so heres where we tried.

Maggies: On Holiday Street near the bottom on the right.Lovely curries and Tandoori very friendly waiting staff.The owner has been doing some work with alcoholics so has taken the decision to stop selling hard liquor. So no Vodka Tonics for us. The main waiter was quite astonished but resigned to having to tell diners this.

Inferno: Now a Goa institution on Candolim Beach Road about three quarters of the way down. Never had a bad meal there the busiest place in Goa we have seen night after night. The owner must be very wealthy man by now.

Travelbar: Located between Candolim and Calangute not far from After Seven Chef Souyemans and Over the Flames. Looks like nothing from the outside but really nice inside with a lovely intimate feel to it. Serves Fusion Mediteranean food but they had no beef on the two occasions we ate there.Will go back as what we ate was very nice. Seems popular with the more affluent Indians.

Nirvana: Bottom of holiday Street. Average food but a great bar scene should you manage to get a seat.

Floyds Hut: Opposite Magnum Resort and The Elephant shop in Candolim anothe Goa institution renowned for generous portions.
Unfortunately I cannot review it this year for the following reason.

We went in sat down and were handed two menus. The table to our right a Russian couple then proceeded to light up. Five seconds later the table to our left an English couple did the same. I honestly could not believe it. I looked at both couples but they were completely oblivious so we got up and left. Will not be back. Ignorance beyond belief.

The only place I saw any observance of the so called smoking ban was Inferno and he had signs up. Cannot be sure no one was smoking but I did not see them.

Papa
Unfortunately Papa there have been No Smoking signs up for a couple of seasons now but people choose to ignore the them :que

Tried Inferno but I was not impressed by it at all. I think it is one of the most overrated restaurants in North Goa. Only my opinion of course ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.