UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I am going to Edinburgh on 18th Feb for two nights with my sister for a girly weekend.

We don't really want to spend all our time shopping, so any ideas for something to do or see in the daytime would be appreciated, also some recommendations on eating/drinking places would also be good.

We are stopping in the Learmonth Hotel if anybody has any reviews on this hotel I would be grateful.

Many thanks
hi there

if you head for rose street you will find lotsof nice eating and drinking places
Hi,
Going to Edinburgh next week for 4 nights (sun - Thur) with friends and kids 17, 15, 14, 12, . Staying at the holiday inn express city centre.
Can anyone recommend any places of interest to visit, (must do`s). Also any nice eating places to suit all.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Theresa.
Hi have decided on taking a short break to Edinburgh at the end of the month (mon-thurs/possibly fri) with my boyfriend. We are hoping to fly from Birmingham and so far the best price I have is with BMI baby at £40 each return.
Also does anyone know where I can find reasonably priced accommodation (we are on quite a tight budget!)
Hi Stace,
I went to Edinburgh in february and stayed at the holiday inn express city centre, (opposite the playhouse) it is only 5 mins to Princes street. Rooms from around £59 for 2 adults and 2 kids, this includes continental breakfast. http://www.holidayinn.co.uk if you go on website and register your details, email address etc, you will get special offers sent. I have just had one for 2nights for the price 1. sometimes its only certain holiday inns /express but its worth doing.
Theresa
thanks there is a lot of useful info there. Have narrowed my accommodation search down to a few and wondered if anyone can help. The one that stands out at the moment is the Calton apartments, found on laterooms.com but I cant find a lot of info about them. Has anyone stayed there or know anything? seems ideal and is within budget but dont want to book with so little to go on. Cheers
http://www.townhousehotels.co.uk/hotels/calton.html :wink:
I've requested these apartments be added to the reviews section on HT.

Pippy :D
cheers for that sorry to be a pain but the other choices are: The Clarendon, Greenside hotel, and Learmonth hotel have found a bit of information but again cant find any reviews. Can anyone help? thanks again
There are reviews of the Clarendon Click Here

For Greenside Hotel reviews Click Here

And for Kearmonth hotel Click Here
If anyone can assist by posting a review for the Carlton Apartments, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
I am going to Edinburgh at Easter and would like to know how far the Edinburgh Airport Bus stops from the Apex International Hotel which is near the castle could we walk to the hotel from the bus stop? Also can anyone suggest a good cafe to go to for Breakfast as our hotel is charging £11 per person for breakfast so we are thinking of eating out mid morning.
It's about 10 mins walk. Nice if the weather's good or if you haven't got much luggage, otherwide i'd get a taxi.
Can't help with breakfast as i've always had breakfast inclusive in Edinburgh but the Grassmarket is just across the road from your hotel and some of the pubs there do breakfast.
Just an update, have booked the Calton apartments and flights with BMI baby. The price of the apartments went up by £15 in a day so I booked them before it happened again! Will make sure I post a review when I return.
Now...things to do/not to do for a young couple in Edinburgh. Any recommendations? 8)
Hi

My Parents are staying there for a long weekend, this weekend. From what i have heard. It is in a very good location, 10 mins by bus to the centre (Bus stop outside the hotel running constantly). Everything you need, from shops, restaurants, bars, cinema across the road in a 3 storey shopping complex. Hotel nice, clean, breakfast basic, and an onsite bar/restaurant. If you would like anymore info, i can gain it once they return.
Hope this helps a little.

attikin
oops
  • Edited by Lynn m 2006-03-28 13:41:26
Wasn't it last hogmanay Driver was going to or have I been asleep for year!!!
Now this may sound a bit sad however, its not for me its for my Mom and her other half - they are in Edinburgh for the weekend next week and was wondering if anyone could advise of any pubs that show English Premiership matches on a Sunday, I guess most will show Scottish games but wondered if anyone could help with this request?

Thanks in advance
Max
Hi All,

Haven't been on here for ages, actually in a job now where i have to work!

I'm looking for recommendations for a nice hotel in the city centre to stay in a couple of weeks time. Ideally near all the attractions so we haven't got to use the car and worry about parking.

Thanks for any help.

Millie :D
Hi Millie
Some friends of mine stayed at the Apex hotel in the Grassmarket recently and said it was lovely. The location is very central especially for exploring the Castle, etc. They did say though that you can pay extra for a 'Castle view' but this is more of a castle glimpse out of the corner of the room and certainly not worth the money.
I normally use B&Bs rather than hotels but the best ones book up way in advance so you're probably better looking at hotels if you've only got 2 weeks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.