Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
trip to Beirut?
195 Posts
I am going on holiday to Cyprus in September and thinking about booking the day trip to Eqypt (flight), has anyone got any advice for me about this, i.e. who to book with, if its worth the money, how good it was.

Grateful of any comments :)

Thanks[/b]
Hiya

I'm going to Cyprus in early June to get married :love and wanted to take a day trip to Eqypt by air - unfortunately for us because we decided on a 3 week stay to make the most of our "Honeymoon" :wink: we are unable to afford the trip to Eqypt :cry: never mind, anyway take a look at these sites they may be of some help to you :-

http://www.regency-travel.com/shortairbreaks.html

http://www.freetimetours.com

I have heard various reviews - all mixed

have a great time - im sure you will

Sonia
We went on ths trip last year, you will find allot of reviews about this trip on this website.
We booked with regency travel over the internet it was £189 pp (not sure if its still the same price this year.)
The trip was fantastic.
It was a very long day but worth every single penny.
You will not be dissapointed if you go on this trip.
I cant wait to go back to cyprus and do this trip again, cairo is a real eye opener!!
Hi

We went on the one day trip to Egypt a couple of weeks ago at Easter (booked in through freetimetours). It was great!

We were picked up from the Kefalonitis aprts at 6:30am and were in Cairo by just after 8am. We went to the Citadel (the Mohammed Ali Mosque) then to the Pyramids. Lots of people went inside but I didn't cos I have a really bad back.

After a photo shoot at the Sphynx we went to the Meridian 5 star hotel for a BIG lunch. Really good and very classy. There is a pond outside with flamingos inm it with the pyramids in the background. Great photo opportunity!

We then did some shopping in a kind of papyrus gallery/department store where loads of people bought 18ct gold. On to the Cairo Museum where we had plenty of time, although it's so big you could spend a week there!

After that we went on a Nile 'cruise' which was great fun. Whirling dervish dancing, belly dancing and good musicians. (more light snacks there). After that we stopped to have a look at where Sadat was assasinated then off to the airport.

We were back at the bar in the Kefalonitis by 11pm.

A Great Day in our opinion.
We went at Christmas time and loved every minute of it. It was very tiring but worth it. I have written a fuller report somewhere on this site.
We have booked this trip for the 23rd June through Regency Travel online and paid 189CYP each. I am just wondering if they will take CYP or Sterling in Egypt as I really don't want to have to mess about getting £30 changed into Egypt money just for 1 day. Does anybody know if they take other currencies, especially for the camel rides.

Thanks.

Clare.
Hi Clare,

Take other currencies?? They will take ANY currency - they are just desperate to sell you something! However, they do prefer notes, so Cyprus pounds are better to take, as we still have £1 notes here! Take yourself a bundle of those, and barter for everything - never accept the first price they say!
Have fun!
Evelyn.
I have heard it is a lot easier to get the guide to negotiate a price for the camel ride as they can demand more money to let you get off. Has anybody done this, how much was it?

Thanks.

Clare.

8)
We are going on this trip on the 23rd June. We believe that you can do a camel ride at the Pyamids. This might be a silly question but will they accept Cypriot Pounds or will we need to change some money to Egyptian Pounds before we go? Also does anybody know how much the rides cost, just so we know we are not being ripped off.

Thanks.

Clare.
8)
I would be careful if i were you. Check with the Host on board how much you are looking at 1st. We went on the 3day mini cruise last year, and were warned they happily let you get on the camel, but expect around 50pounds to get off! They also warned us not to take direct pictures of the camels, as the owners expect payment for it and can get very funny about it. if you want any more info about the mini cruise i will be happy to fill you in if you contact me direct. :lol:
Hi

I went to Egypt a couple of years ago - don't even bother with the camel rides they will rip you off as the message above says they will let you on but they won't let you back off without paying what they ask.

The locals around the pyramids are very intimidating, when we went into the pymarid a very large man blocked the entrance to get back out unless we paid what he asked.

Beware also they will ask you if you want them to take your picture with your own camera and then charge you to hand it back.

Having said all the above the pyramids & sphinx themselves are fantastic!!! Hope I haven't put you off.

Tracy
I worked in Cairo a few years ago and it took me 9months to even vist the pyramids,to me the area is full of camel and donkey dung wouldnt bother.
we are thinking of going on the day trip to egypt sometime at the beginning of august whilst we are staying in cyprus. do you think its better/cheaper/safer booking it here before we go, or when we are out there? as its peak season, will there still be places left if we leave it till we are there?
thanks
Im not sure if you can book before you go on holiday, but me, my husband and 2 children went on a 3day mini cruise to Egypt last year and paid just over £200. It was well worth it. We went on the Salimas Glory and loved every minute of it. You have to do a lot of travelling to get there but you shall never forget it. :lol:
Hi,

I would agree totally with the advice above NOT to give your camera to one of the camel drivers to take a picture of you. It is a favourite trick for them to "charge" you for taking the picture, and they will not give the camera back until you have paid it!

However, I don't agree to avoid the camel rides completely! It makes for a fantastic photo with the pyramids behind. I have done the Egypt trip 3 times now, and gone on a camel twice. There is so much security in Egypt now, and because the police know the games the camel riders get up to, there are always police around the pyramid area (you will see them - they are on camels too!) I seem to remember it was about CY£ 6 or CY£ 7 Cyprus pounds for a ride, but that was about 18months ago. Check with the guide you will have on the coach for the going rate, and follow their advice. The guide we had once advised us to look for the police, and get on a camel near to them! That way, if you had any problems, you can shout "Police" at the top of your voice, and the camel riders will soon behave! They are frightened of the police, for good reason I understand! I thought this was good advice, and have always remembered it.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great day!
Evelyn.
If you are thinking of the day trip by air, there is a standard price which is not discounted before departure - I think it is still CY£ 189.

For the 3 day cruise to Egypt, this could be discounted close to the departure date of the cruise, but depends on availability. At the moment, they are offering 50% off second adult in the cabin for certain dates in June.

However, August could be different? Apart from peak season for tourists, it is also the time that Cypriots are on holiday themselves, and the cruises in particular are popular with the locals too! Difficult to predict really - you could book it before you come over, and then find that it is on special offer when you get here? OR........ you could wait until you get here, and then find you can't get on, or only at a high price cabin?

Hope this helps?
Evelyn.
Hi steve, we did this trip last year and we booked in advance on the internet with regency travel http://www.cyprus-holiday-directory.com/airbreaks.html
It was 189 cp per person and when we arrived in cyprus i think the cheapest we saw it for was 185cp,
But we did speak to a couple who wanted to go on the trip and it was fully booked.
I was a bit wary of booking over the internet, but everything was fine and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again.
Hi

If I were you I would book the trip in the resort.

We've just got back from the Paphos area and we actually saw the trip offered at the bargain price of £69cyp in a travel agents window in Paphos town.

Okay, it may have been due to the fact that it was early season with seats going spare but these places are always going to be the first to offer savings all season round.

Rob :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.