Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
As far as I can remember the power fittings are US style in Egypt

someone will correct me if I'm wrong but we took a multi travel plug set and both the USA and Southern European ones worked
They're the European style 2-pin, not American, sockets.
If your chargers have a separate power lead you can swap it for a UK or European one and get an adapter plug. They sell all manner of adapters in the electrical shops in the departure area at the airports, though you would be safer to get a suitable adapter before setting out Try an online store like Amazon).
BUT - if the chargers are US they'll be 110 volt, and the power in Egypt is 220v so make sure they can either be turned over to 220v or will recognise the voltage automatically else you'll blow them.
Thanks for the info. Wasnt sure on the voltage in Egypt. Will need to look into getting a converter.

Thanks again
alanwall
They're the European style 2-pin, not American, sockets.
If your chargers have a separate power lead you can swap it for a UK or European one and get an adapter plug. They sell all manner of adapters in the electrical shops in the departure area at the airports, though you would be safer to get a suitable adapter before setting out Try an online store like Amazon).
BUT - if the chargers are US they'll be 110 volt, and the power in Egypt is 220v so make sure they can either be turned over to 220v or will recognise the voltage automatically else you'll blow them.

Ta Alan
btw got mine in Boots all fix together in a nice case that's when the kids don't try to borrow them
It's seen a few holidays and business trips now but I have one with all manner of pin combinations that screw or twist out of a single unit - saves carrying a variety of bits that slot together lie electrical lego and works all over the world. Doesn't help with voltage differences though...
Just as an illustration of how utterly helpful MOST egyptians can be, I took our electric toothbrush to Coral Hilton in Nuweiba a couple of years ago, which has a two pin plug and did not fit the shaver socket in the bathroom. I enquired at reception as to whether they had an adaptor that would work and they asked me to leave the toothbrush lead with them for an hour.
When I returned to collect it, I found that the maintainance department had actually made up a lead for me that worked a treat! No charge, of course and I still take it away with us every trip. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.