Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
enough euros???
12 Posts
Hi lady t :D Welcome to Hoildaytruths

In order for folk to give their opinion, it might be helpful if you could say how long you are going for ie one or two weeks and what resort you are staying in, as I understand some resorts in the Algarve are more expensive than others.

Also although you are self catering perhaps you would want to eat out, would it be everynight or alternate nights that kind of thing really? :D
so sorry folks i was daft enough to forget these points:

we are going for 2 weeks and are staying at the estrela do vau, we werent really prepared for this holiday to be hones as we originally booked menorca for 2 weeks and a week before we were due to fly out thursday to be in fact and we fly out on sunday 29th we received a phone call to say we have a building site right next to our apartment now i didnt want that for myself and my family so i had to choose a different location and had to go on our travel agents recomendation so we have had a bit of a poor do to be honest and i am so worried that my family will have a terrible time.

lady t xx
ps we were hoping to do most of the eating in our apartment with the odd treat out xx
oh and thanks for the nice welcome xx
Hi again :D

I think you will be fine if you are planning to eat in a fair bit.
I am going this summer for 2 weeks, a family of 4 including a 12 and 14 year old. Will probably take slightly less than you but will eat & drink out most nights.

I haven't been for a few years, but I seem to remember that you can do easy meals by buying ready cooked chickens and bags of salad etc from the supermarket.

I dont know Praia de Vau but there is a regular on HT who has been there a few times and really likes it. Its quiet but within easy reach of Praia de Roche which is a busy lively resort if your teens get restless.

Another money saving tip is probably to use your apartment pool & sunbeds which no doubt will be free, whereas hiring six beds and 2 parasols on the beach might cost a bit.

If you do decide on the beach (I think the one at Praia du Vau is supposed to be really nice) might be best to make a day of it and pack a picnic with stuff you have bought from the supermarket, perhaps take cool bags and freezer blocks with you.

To be quite honest money wise you might be better with the Algarve than Menorca, Menorca is very nice went there about 4 years ago, but quite expensive and many people moan about the cost there, so the building work may have done you a bit of a favor.

Enjoy. Doe :D
If there's 6 of you then you roughly have £113 per person per week or £16 each per day (I think :rofl )

You could think about budgeting an amount per day to ensure that you don't fall short at the end of the holiday. I've never travelled with more than 3 of us to think about so if there was to be 6 I'd have to budget :lol:
I am sure you will like Praia do Vau it is quiet but there are enough bars and restaurants for your needs there is one bar that shows all the football matches and there is a nice Italian /pizza restaurant that is not too expensive and does wonderful garlic bread!
There is also the Jacaranda that is owned by Robin who is English they serve all day from early morning to late at night and the food is good and very reasonable.Estrela do Vau is a short walk from the beach which is wonderful when the tide is out you can walk all the way on to Portimao marina.For your main shop go to the Continente shopping centre I don't know if you are having a car but if not you can walk from Vau will take you about 30 min stroll and get a taxi back there is a rank just outside the door or have a taxi both ways they are not expensive and it is worth it as everything is cheaper there and they have a good range of meat ,fish etc.From Vau you can get a bus into Praia do Rocha and Portimao or you can walk again about 30 min stroll you can also walk into Alvor about 40 mins or again get a taxi .Alvor is nice for a night out as there are loads of nice restaurants.If you have any more questions I will help if I can. :wink:
i would just like to say i am a member of a few forums and the people on here are the most helpful and pleasant ppl i have spoken to yet. so a big thank you from a big family so whoever is due to go on holiday or those who are just plain helpful i thank you all for taking the time to put on your posts xxxx

ladyt
Hi again missyladyt :D

Another thing I thought of. If you are going with a Tour Operator like Thomson or Thomas Cook you will get something called a welcome meeting on your first day. As you haven't been abroad before it is probably worth at least you & your hubby going.

At this meeting the reps will try to sell you expensive trips as they are on commission. Don't feel under pressure to book, just listen, take the paperwork & say you're there for two weeks & 'will think about it".

The papers will give you an idea of what is going on in the area.
Nearly all the trips you will be able to do for less money on your own.

Either by taking local buses, (cabs might be expensive as with six you may need two taxis), or booking them with a local Portuguese agent in Praia do Rocha or possibly Praia do Vau.

You may be offered, Slide and Splash Waterpark, Zoomarine (which is really better for younger kids), shopping and market trips (easy to do on your own), a Portugese evening which tends to be a meal and traditional portugese dancing (often overpriced), and perhaps boat trips which you can also do under your own steam.

Good Luck, Doe :D
thanks again doe you are an unending well of good information and thanks to everyone who has helped with all the questions i have asked you all have helpedus alot.

thanks again
lady t xx
:lol:
Hi Lady T,
I am sure you will love the Algarve.
Praia do Vau is lovely and an easy walk into the busier Praia da Rocha.
We go twice a year to the Algarve and if you want to eat out cheaply, you can.Just look for little Portuguese cafe style bars that sell meals and snacks rather than restaurants, especially those on the main promenade. Look round the side streets.You will probably get a main course there for 5-7 euros pp.
Buy your fruit, veg, meat,fish and eggs from the local markets as they are really cheap and lovely and fresh. The bread is also to die for!!!
Enjoy!!!!!
Pat
:glynis
And there's always Lidl :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.