Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
euros
18 Posts
Personally I would change it here as you will pay commission abroad. Also, there was a report on the news yesterday that the euro is at an all time high and is expected to rise again in the next few weeks, so I would change money now before you lose out.
thank for that information where is the best place to change it travel agents or post office
When we went to albufeira last september we booked with thomas cook and they gave me a voucher which gave us a really good rate for transferring to euros and was commission free (both changing sterling to euros and vice versa). In the past I have used the post office, purely as you do not pay commission. It is worth checking with your travel agent if you booked with one, to see whether they can offer anything.
sainsbury's and marks&spencer are doing the best rates for normal amounts but the money you are talking about you can get a higher rate for values in excess of £600 at Eurochange branches.
I wouldn't be taking that amount in cash if i was you.

I would either take travellers cheques or stick it in the bank and use your cashpoint card while you're there to withdraw what you need.
The exchange rate in the change shops here has gone below €1.20 = £1 - no commission. You may get a slightly higher rate using ATM's but that will depend on what your UK bank charge for the privilege.

I most certainly would not carry £1000 in cash!
I dont like taking my bank card as when we went to fuerteventura last year a atm swallowed my card it was a problem with the machine i didnt know wether the rate would be more in albufeira than here it was in the canaries :que
Best to shop around here.M&S did offer the best deal,some times they do sometimes they dont.
Keep looking in American Express here, had a great deal once 130 for over £500.but that was last year. But they did a 127 when others were offering 124.
If your changing small amount change here.You would only gain about £7 if you changed £500 in resort.
i got 700 euros for £550 at the post office 4 weeks ago and it was 1.25 to th e pound i checked yesterday and it was 1.20 to the pound my children have £100 each spending money but they wont be getting alot in euros i thought some places we night get nore changing it over there :)
Going Places travel agency were offering 121.1 yesterday, Marks & Spencer 120.9.I dont think it will get any better, the euro is looking very strong & stable at the moment.
If you've got a Nationwide account stick your spending money in there and use your card in the ATMs.

No charges, no commission and you get a much better exchange rate.
I agree. Have used Nationwide cards before and have got a much better rate. Son bought Euro's from Co-op travel on Saturday 12th 1.20, First Choice were offering 1.16 and Thomson 1.17
Halifax charge you £1.50 a time to use your card abroad.
Apparentley the exchange rate in Albufeira today was 119.1 thats not as good as the UK rates.as I got 1.21 this afternoon at local travel agency. Marks & spencers exchange rate was 119.95.
I got 1.26 using my Nationwide card in the ATMs at the weekend. No charges, no commission.
€1.183 in the exchange shops yesterday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.