Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I'm not sure what the rest of Italy is like but when we were there with Friends last week, they were paying terrible commission on there travellers cheques. I took Euros with me and kept them in a safe, seemed a lot less hassle.

Sarah
Get them here and don't forget that you can get cash from a cash machine, a debit card is best for cash withdrawals.

Where you can pay for things with a credit card. Euros I purchased from my bank had a rate of 1.4 and a few days later the card I used gave me 1.42 and no commission of course. And you don't have to carry the cash. :P
You do have to pay off the card later. :cry:
Your bank might charge you for those withdrawals though (unless you are with Nationwide)
A couple of years ago we opened a Nationwide Bank Account purely for holidays. I wish we had done it years ago. Its so easy, and they give an excellent rate and no charges. We always used to take Travellers Cheques but spent half the holiday looking for places to cash them that would not rip you off.

In Italy 3 years ago we found it quite difficult getting our TQs cashed. The banks are strange in that they have kind of locked doors that will only let one person in at any time!!!

As regards to Nationwide, we were in Switzerland last month, I did get a few Swiss Francs from my local Travel Agent before we went. The rate they were offering was 1.13. I got them to price match to Marks & Spencers which was 1.20. After spending those few francs (very easy in Switzerland!) we withdrew from the ATMs, and paid for hotel bills etc by Nationwide card. When we came home and checked the account on line the lowest rate was 1.22 and the highest 1.24!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.