Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
The EHIC is, theoretically, valid in Bulgaria *BUT* don't rely on it, make sure that you get really good travel insurance cover with adequate health cover.

Even native Bulgarians often have to find relatively large amounts of cash in order to receive medical/hospital treatment.

Baldur
I got the EHIC cards through last week, but have also taken out seperate medical cover and insurance.
The EHIC is not valid for Bulgaria. However, we do have a reciprocal agreement with Bulgaria. Check here for info.
Am I right in thinking that despite Bulgaria having entered the EU that our cards still don't give us reciprocal health care.

I'm just wondering, since I work in the NHS and we are already seeing an increase in the number of Bulgarian patients being treated here.

Pam :D
merged your query to the thread with the answer :D
Even if it was valid, I don't think you'd want to use an EHIC in Bulgaria.

You need good holiday insurance with adequate medical provision, Bulgarian public hospitals make ours look good!

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.