Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi Helen, I'm a huge fan. A friend and I used it last summer to get to Brussels on the first leg of travelling to Berlin all the way by train and it was great. It's really comfortable, plenty of legroom in even the lowest class, plenty of space for luggage, a reserved seat, absolutely spotless and really fast. So fast in fact that I can't remember anything about the buffet or refreshment facilities - we just took a sandwich on with us because we were saving ourselves for dinner on the Cologne/Berlin leg. The other things is how little time you spend hanging around compared to air travel. The train was really busy but the check-in is really fast and easy. We were travelling on rock bottom priced e-tickets booked through DBahn on the Net so we had to first go to the customer service desk to collect our 'Boarding Passes' (if you book direct with Eurostar you won't have to do this) then we were straight through security (they x-ray your bags etc just like at the airports) and into the departure lounge where we just had time to have a cup of coffee before getting on the train. Simple and straightforward with a guaranteed seat reservation etc. It left me thinking why anybody living in the London area would ever bother flying to Paris or Brussels.

But the thing that really impressed me was that on the way back we missed our connection in Cologne and so missed our connection at Brussels for the Eurostar. Here, a missed connection if you are on a really cheap ticket (and ours were!) means chaos and often more to pay but not in this case. I went to the desk having psyched myself up to try and explain in my schoolgirl French all this, to be answered in perfect English that there was no problem and simply handed fresh boarding cards with details of our new reserved seats! And yes, in the train there they were complete with our names in the digital display above them! All sorted because DBahn who were responsible for the delayed train had already contacted Eurostar to tell them what had happened and all was sorted out between the two companies while we were on the train from Cologne to Brussels. Imagine getting that sort of service from any airline if you were travelling on a cheap non-transferable ticket?

SM
Hi Helen

We went to Bruges last year on the Eurostar (see http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/eurostar-belgium-t158208.html) for more info. I'd agree with everything SMa says, but I wouldn't recommend booking a table seat as you get a lot less legroom than in the normal seats (I had my legs squashed up against the guy opposite me and I'm only 5ft6 - luckily the train manager found him and his companion seats in a less busy carriage). We would definitely travel Eurostar again.
Thanks for the quick replies. Corrine, I'm having trouble with the link. It just brings me back to this page. It sounds just perfect for us - just hope we can get a good price now. Am I right in saying that tickets aren't available until around 4 months before? How long would we need to be at the station before travelling for checking in?
Helen, you need to be at check-in around half an hour before boarding, but allow extra if you need to pick up your tickets first
Thanks doonhammer - I must have been browsing without my glasses, as I seem to have missed a few posts. Thanks for the info. I've been looking tonight again, and tickets are only available until August Bank Holiday so far. It looks like I'll have to pick my accommodation first, then just hope it'll be available f prices for the Eurostar are favourable. Hubby says we'd better price up a package holiday too- just in case :duh Looks like I've a busy time ahead.. Once again thank you
Probably a bit late now but We've travelled to Brugges via Brussels on the Eurostar Helen. You cannot beat the Eurostar for ease of travelling particularly if you go from Ebbsfleet in kent rather than Central london. Honestly it's a breeze.. Park right outside the terminal just 30 minutes before.. Ebbsfleet is empty . All very relaxed and no crowds like an airport.Put your ticket in the machine, have a coffee and as the train is about to arrive you make your way down onto the platform. I wouldn't say the train is Luxury as it's not a lot different to any other train you are likely to get around the country and personally I wouldn't bother with a table either as you will be looking at the couple opposite you for the entire journey !!

And yes I think it's about 4 months ahead for booking. We have used our tesco points and converted them to airmiles or whatever they are called now and you can use them for Eurostar bookings.

lyn
Thanks Lyn - we have now found a cheap flight from Bristol to Brussels. I'm now on the lookout for accommodation for 3 nights in Ostend and two in Bruges :tup
It was a few tears ago now but we stayed at the Adornes.Lovely little hotel from what I remember, in a great position on one of the canals. They had free bikes to use which was a big bonus as they really made the weekend for us. We got to see so much more on them and even biked it down the canal to the next village
Thanks Lyn. Just yesterday I booked a couple of days here http://www.hotelterbrughe.com/en I'm still on the lookout for Ostend accommodation though, as a lot of it doesn't seem to be taking bookings past January.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.