Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
With all the new restrictions in place, trying to work out how to pack!

Usually put toiletries in hand luggage but due to liquids been banned, no-can-do.

As I'm placing these in hold luggage obviously weight will go up.

Can I take hair dryer, hair straighteners etc in my hand luggage.

This would alleviate the weight a little.

Any input would be appreciated.

hippyjak,

Have a look through the thread regarding the current regulations here. Regarding electrical items, they'd normally be in your hold luggage. I beleive the current regulations are pretty much back to what they were prior to the incident, apart from liquids etc, but Id air on the side of caution and pack them. I'm in the same position as you, packing as I type! I'm having to leave my scuba cameras at home for the first time in 5 years which I'm not pleased about but I can't find a way to take them due to weight limits and hand luggage restrictions. Quite :swear about that but nothing I can do.

Have a great holiday, I hope your flights are smooth :)
Darren
Confused?!

We have booked to go to Tenerife (south) next year from Gatwick and First Choice have told us it will probably be on the B757 - is this right?

Why I am asking is because:

I have read somewhere that 757s don't have premium seats and we have booked these due to the fact this year (Dominican Republic-Gatwick) we were advised to pre-book our seats by our rep to ensure myself, hubby and 3 children could sit together on the long 9 hour flight, we don't usually pre-book our seats as we have always been told its a waste of money but we did this time as we panicked due to it being a long flight. We parted with US$45 and had the pleasure of being separated! So we thought if we pay for premium seats (there are not many on short haul) there will be more of a chance of us sitting together, the kids are happy, quicker check- in at our own desk (we are the family always at the back of the queue coming home!) and a couple of the drinks are paid for.

I have e-mailed FC about our waste of U$45 but have not heard anything
and that was 5 weeks ago.

Maybe we will be going on an Airbus321, does anyone know?

Kaz
Kaz Molly60,

It would normally be a 757-200 which opperates the TFS flight. Can you give me some flight details please and I'll see what I can find out. What date are your flying and whats your flight number?

Regarding siting together, as long as you get to the airport in good time, you shouldn't have a problem. Its only when you arrive late and seats are becoming scarce that you run in to problems. The premium upgrade on the A321 in terms of what you get for your money isn't up to the same standard as what you get on their long haul product. Its not worth the extra in my opinion for the 4 hour flight.

Darren
Thanks again Dazbo! You're a star!

Just logged on to Birmingham Airport website and they're saying that electrical goods ie. laptops, large hairdryers are permitted in handluggage, but must be prepared to take out. plug in and switch on.

Hopefully this means you can take your camera! If not maybe you can hire one in the resort? Know it's not the same as taking your own, but you can bet your life something amazing will happen when you have'nt got your camera to hand! :yikes

Still got two weeks to go but yes, the ironing and packing has started!!

Have a fab time :lol:
Thanks for the quick reply!

My flight is FCA4214
Gatwick 17.15 to Sur Reina Sofia on 24.0707 (I know ages yet!)

I agree with you, normally I would say it is a waste of money for such a short flight, but what with the big let down on our last flight we thought we would push the boat out as we got a great deal anyway - we got a really cheap price quote from Eclipse Direct and our local First Choice price matched them even though they originally quoted us £309 more!

Keep up the good work Darren and thanks!

Kaz
hippyjak

Hopefully this means you can take your camera! If not maybe you can hire one in the resort?

I wish! Its not your average camera and I struggle to get it through security anyway, since all this happened there's no chance. No way of hiring either, its a custom built underwater video system so no filming on this trip :( You can guarantee everything will be playing out then! First Choice were great when I took it to Cuba in March (attempting to stay on-topic here!), gave me 10kg extra allowance with no hassle. I wish I was travelling with FCA on this trip, but no such luck.

Darren
WOW! Nothing like the disposable I used on the barrier reef then!

Sounds amazing!! What a shame!! Hope you still have a fab holiday! Think I would be gutted if i couldn't take a piece of kit like that away with me!

Think i'd stamp and shout at airline to let me take it on!

Good luck

ps - think my disposable was a fuji - not to bad a photo!! :oops:
hippyjak,

WOW! Nothing like the disposable I used on the barrier reef then!

Not really! It's a Sony digital video camera housed in a SepPro SP5 Marine housing. Not your average camera (producing video's like this)! It's not the airline that's the problem (apart from they are impossable to get hold of to ask!), I just don't want to risk getting to secuity and they say no way are you taking that, then I'm stuck with what to do with the best part of £2,000 worth of camera equipment. Having discussed things with some photographers who fly frequently, security are being understandably strict at the moment. It's a bit rediculous though that things like cameras are not being allowed through on the basis they take longer to search, because thats all its about; how long it takes to get people through security checks. I'm not talking about compact digitals etc, I'm talking SLR's with pro-spec long lenses (at least I can take that with me with wide lens!). It's been through countless numbers of airports all over the world with no problem. But thats the way of the world these days, just have to live with it for the time being.

To keep on topic!!!!! When I took it to Cuba with First choice, they gave me 10kg of extra luggage for sports equipment free of charge. When it comes to accommodating awkward passengers (like me and my camera!), they are very good.

Darren
The new First Choice long haul routes for Winter 2007/08 will be released very soon and i can tell you there is some interesting changes and additions planned.
befreetoday......do tell?
I think they are introducing flights from Bristol to Florida, Cuba and Dom Rep
For Summer 2007 they are introducing Bristol to Cuba. Florida and Dom Rep.

For Winter 2007/08 the regional flights will continue unlike this year, along with other destinations such as the pacific coast of mexico which does not continue into the winter this year apart from Puerto Vallarta. Bahamas is being cut slightly to fortnightly holidays with the additon of extra Dom Rep flights. Thats about all i can say.
Hi flying with First choice next week to Turkey never flown with them before just wondered what they service is like,in flight meals etc as i am flying with my young daughter just wondered what ther food for kids is like . Cheers
I've flown with FCA (and Air 2000 as they were formerly known) several times and I love the food they serve!

Perhaps I'm a bit odd :oops:

Pippy :D
Somewhere in this thread i have posted my outbound and rturn flight details from last month have a look i am sure you will find them useful.
Befreetoday - Do you have any inside knowledge if they are doing Costa Rica in our winter months? It was depending on the uptake when I wrote to them that they would look at fornightly winter flights for 2007/8. It is the better time to go weather wise.

Also when do you think all of the new brochures will be published (slightly off topic I know but I know they have to sort flights first) as I am looking to go to Eqypt Oct 2007 on about 19th / 20th for 14 days and the last flights they have advertised at present for 14 nights are on the 14th or thereabouts.
Costa Rica is looking ok for the moment it does depend on how many people book next summer. The new brochures should be out any time this month.
Thank you!! Just fingers crossed Costa rica is being done in the winter - getting a LOT of press lately!! And I like the comfort of First Choice Airlines..........although I do hear Thomson are planning are making their premium cabin better for long haul.................!
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.